'06 Brock Clutch Mod Problems

The spring spacers are for more pressure to help prevent slippage. They are not REQUIRED to have, especially if your still on a near stock powered bike. It is an alternative to replacing all stock springs with heavy duty springs.

When I went turbo I kept half HD springs and half stock springs with the spacer that comes with the brocks clutch kit.

When you remove the OEM two-piece unit (which kind of works like a lock up or slipper), you had to do something to make up the extra pressure it provides. Either stronger springs or the spacers. The OEM two piece provides about .060 less spring height than a one-piece or welded hub, so less pressure on the plates. You have to make it up somewhere or clutch slippage will result in the long run.

OK I got it figured out and have the clutch put back together using the spacers provided in the kit and everything is working fine. First problem was I should have read the manual more carefully before taking it apart and second I should have paid more attention when put it back together. Here is where I screwed up and what I found.

1. There are different sizes of drive discs (fibre and metal). There are 8 fibre discs @ .12 and 3 @.15, of the metal discs there are 7 @ .08 and 2 @.090.
  2. I mic'd the discs and found that I had 3 of the metal discs that were .09 instead of 2.
  3. I didn't pay attention to the disc sizes and did not assemble in the order prescribed in the manual. (I actual took a roll of the dice and put the third metal disc that was .09 on the outside with the 2nd of the .15 fibre discs when I put it back together this last time.)
  4. When I was assembling the discs in the clutch basket I did not put the last and outer most .15 fibre disc in the other slit in the clutch basket as described in the manual and which I should have noted when I took the clutch apart.

Anyway, through all the trials and tribulations of a simple 15 min. modification I spent at least 6-8 hours trying to figure out my screw up. My thanks to everyone for giving me the benefit of their experience (especially Mike1180)and I hope that this posting might help some one else.

:thumbsup:

this post helped me cause I brought the mod and have yet to put it in. I will make sure I won't make that mistake, Thanks for posting

this post helped me cause I brought the mod and have yet to put it in. I will make sure I won't make that mistake, Thanks for posting

Mod works great. Also pay attention to the oil drive gear behind the main drive gear and that it is engaged. Even pulling the main drive gear and clutch basket out a little ways will disengage the gear. Another point to pay atttention to. Prevents having weekends like I did :banghead:!

OK I got it figured out and have the clutch put back together using the spacers provided in the kit and everything is working fine. First problem was I should have read the manual more carefully before taking it apart and second I should have paid more attention when put it back together. Here is where I screwed up and what I found.

1. There are different sizes of drive discs (fibre and metal). There are 8 fibre discs @ .12 and 3 @.15, of the metal discs there are 7 @ .08 and 2 @.090.
  2. I mic'd the discs and found that I had 3 of the metal discs that were .09 instead of 2.
  3. I didn't pay attention to the disc sizes and did not assemble in the order prescribed in the manual. (I actual took a roll of the dice and put the third metal disc that was .09 on the outside with the 2nd of the .15 fibre discs when I put it back together this last time.)
  4. When I was assembling the discs in the clutch basket I did not put the last and outer most .15 fibre disc in the other slit in the clutch basket as described in the manual and which I should have noted when I took the clutch apart.

Anyway, through all the trials and tribulations of a simple 15 min. modification I spent at least 6-8 hours trying to figure out my screw up. My thanks to everyone for giving me the benefit of their experience (especially Mike1180)and I hope that this posting might help some one else.

:thumbsup:
I will take the 15 min install out of this thanks:beerchug:

I think your problem was the last plate not being in the off set slot, you can stack those plates in any order and going to be the same height.

I think your problem was the last plate not being in the off set slot, you can stack those plates in any order and going to be the same height.

You are probably right although if I put both of the .15 friction disc's in the main stack and the .12 in the off set slot I don't know how much of a difference it would make. But since I decided the read the fine print in the manual I put it back together per the instructions. The one thing that baffled me was how I wound up with an extra .09 steel plate, I had 3 instead of the manual and parts list of 2. In any event, the clutch works fine and I am ordering the slave bracket to bolster the clutch slave cylinder.

Back