Still having problem with Brock clutch mod

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Okay. I finally received a replacement oil pump gear and I ordered a clutch slave support brace last week which I installed a few days ago. Today I installed the new gear and proceeded to follow every instruction to the dot. My oil pump is working fine but I now have a problem.

Last week when I installed the stiffer springs I managed to brake the clutch slave support (CSS) without knowing it. I didn't realize it until today. Last week upon my first attempt to install it, I got a loud POP when I pulled the hard clutch in. After I took everything apart and I noticed my oil pump gear was broken, I thought that was where the pop came from. Turns out it was the CSS.

Anyways, when I put in the stiffer springs and lock the bolts into place, I can't pull the clutch in because the CSS flexes too much. I then tried the stock springs with the spacers and still too much flexing with the CSS. The only way it'll work is if I leave the 6 bolts a few turns loose. I then tried the stock springs alone and everything works fine. The oil pump works, the clutch engages when I kick it into gear ... everything a bike should do.

My problem is this. While the bike is running (even in neutral) if I pull the clutch in I'm getting a nasty fast-paced knocking from just behind the clutch cover.

What is the cause of this?

ARGH!!!

Found the problem. On the inside of the clutch cover there are three little prongs. When the clutch is engaged and the plates actuate, the pressure plate is making contact with those three prongs. The pressure plate has an oil ring on it and the prongs on the pressure plate have been grounded down a bit because of this.

I'm guessing I HAVE to use the stiffer springs or the stock ones with the spacers so that the pressure plate doesn't come out as far. My only problem with those options is when I try to utilize them, the clutch is VERY hard to pull in and I can barely see any actuating going on. Dear Gawd I don't need anymore problems!

Any suggestions?

If you have the cushion kit with stiffer springs, and cluth mod...I recall the directions say to leave out the spacers, the ones that are packaged with the heavy duty springs.

Are there any clutch engaging issues? Does it slip under power or bite when you shift form neutral to a gear?

I'm not sure if I could answer / solve the problem, but I can relate.

(heavybusa @ Aug. 04 2007,21:37) Make sure you get all the air out of that clutch line!
I already bled (blead) it. Thanks for the lookout though.

(RYC1966 @ Aug. 04 2007,21:59) If you have the cushion kit with stiffer springs, and cluth mod...I recall the directions say to leave out the spacers, the ones that are packaged with the heavy duty springs.

Are there any clutch engaging issues? Does it slip under power or bite when you shift form neutral to a gear?

I'm not sure if I could answer / solve the problem, but I can relate.
I don't use the spacers with the stiffer springs. Either the stock springs with the spacers or the stiffer springs alone. The problem is doing either causes the clutch to become TOO hard. Not using either (stock springs alone) causes the pressure plate to come out too far and knock against the clutch cover.

(NightCrawler @ Aug. 04 2007,16:14)
Okay. I finally received a replacement oil pump gear and I ordered a clutch slave support brace last week which I installed a few days ago. Today I installed the new gear and proceeded to follow every instruction to the dot. My oil pump is working fine but I now have a problem.

Last week when I installed the stiffer springs I managed to brake the clutch slave support (CSS) without knowing it. I didn't realize it until today. Last week upon my first attempt to install it, I got a loud POP when I pulled the hard clutch in. After I took everything apart and I noticed my oil pump gear was broken, I thought that was where the pop came from. Turns out it was the CSS.

Anyways, when I put in the stiffer springs and lock the bolts into place, I can't pull the clutch in because the CSS flexes too much. I then tried the stock springs with the spacers and still too much flexing with the CSS. The only way it'll work is if I leave the 6 bolts a few turns loose. I then tried the stock springs alone and everything works fine. The oil pump works, the clutch engages when I kick it into gear ... everything a bike should do.

My problem is this. While the bike is running (even in neutral) if I pull the clutch in I'm getting a nasty fast-paced knocking from just behind the clutch cover.

What is the cause of this?
I hope you get things working Night..wish I could help. When I read these posts I'm soo glad I'm not a big modder...no offense to anyone that is, but I could never stand to deal with a lot of the probs you dedicated rodders do, I just don't have the patience for it
wow.gif
I'd be running bikes over cliffs and collecting insurance money
laugh.gif

Woo-hoo! I finally got it right. Long story short, I was using 1 too many plates. I would go into detail as to what I did wrong but I don't know of many here who have done the mod so I doubt they'd understand the situation.

The good news is everything is now in working order!!!
super.gif

Back