2003 Gsxr1000

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Well, all you guys with your fancy gen3's, turbos, LSR bikes, and trailer queens...let me show you what a Real motorcycle is!
Yes sir, this is world superbike winning monster right here, an '03 gsxr1000!
I need to take pictures with my phone case off, so you can see all of the details of this thing...
It has black and gold styling and custom exhaust too(so dope) lmao
Seriuously...it's a little rough, lol, but runs awesome.
It has a clean title, straight frame, and 39,700+ miles on it.
I've seen these engines run 100k+ miles several times too. It doesn't tick, knock, or smoke...and the forks don't even leak! lol
But, it does need about Everything else maintenance related you can think of.
The tires are decent, rideable, but will be replaced.
After many years of yammering on about getting another Gsxr1k and putting dirtbike bars on it...well here it is(and I still have my eye on a gen3).
My 11 year old daughter could care less about motorcycles, but my girlfriend's 12 year old son loves them, along with Anything else I'm willing to show him.
So, I traded my Concours straight up for it. The Concours was worth more, but I just couldn't get into it, after 6 months and 1k miles, it did everything well, but was still blah.
A gsxr1k(and Busas) are my favorite, sell themselves, I can build this how I want, and a young man is going to learn everything outside an engine rebuild on this one.
I have 2 more bikes(not mine) to finish first, and to save up some mod money, but will start on this in a few months.
The current mod list will be,
Tires, brake pads, ss lines, both MC rebuilt, 3 calipers rebuilt, 3 rotors, sprockets and chain, 90° valve stems, wheel, steering head, and swingarm bearings(ceramic), sparkplugs, air filter, stator cover, rearsets, flush injectors, clutch and cable, grips, ASV levers, Spiegler top clamp and dirtbike bars. Maybe a Brembo front MC.
Rebuild forks/change springs, aftermarket rear shock, check/shim valves, custom seat, coolant flush/Engine Ice, radiator guard, a full exhaust with cf muffler(Akropovic or M4)
and a flash/dyno tune...plus all the stuff I forgot, lol.
It did come with a new set of NT Fairings in flat black, the box had never been opened.
Anyway, this is the start of my 1k Hoon bike build.
Now to get a paper service manual and other projects out of the way...

Screenshot_20221220-082557_Gallery.jpg

20221219_210217.jpg

This undertail wiring needs cleaned up, it's not as bad as it looks, but needs to be routed out of the way...to make room for gallon jugs under there, lol
The rest of the harness is good, not hacked up.
No FI light either, and as said, runs strong.

20221219_205412.jpg

At the end of the day, piped and tuned, it's 160whp with 80' lbs of torque on 440 lbs, and will have good suspension and brakes.
No abs, no tc, no fancy electronics...but Maybe a Quickshifter...those are hard not love.
So bare bones fun on a budget.
I can do all the above for $2k to $2500 in parts(minus rear shock and Brembo front MC)
And, if you've never rode a 1k or Busa with dirtbike bars(I have both) then you're missing out.
Free test rides to fellow hoons when it's done.

Last edited:
Very nice!! I really get what you said about the Concours, I had the same feelings. Got a Gixxer to go with the Busa and sold the concours. Looking forward to seeing your build.

I had a good time on my '02 bought new and had a bunch of Yosh stuff thrown at it......

I miss my 02, I would have preferred and 01/02 or an 05/06, as the 03/04 were my least favorite gsxr1k model, and I have ridden every generation.
I dislike the stock stance and tail on the 03/04, but I will mod it all anyway so it doesn't really matter now.
It looked rough, ran great, and made me kinda sad...so I saved him!
lmao
no regrets
I'm a sucker for a Suzuki anything, especially a gsxr1k or Busa.

Back