Interesting Fi light today

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
After topping up the tank at my usual gas station, I headed out for a ride, I got around 30 kms out and stopped at my first stop sign....after looking at all the road construction and loose gravel, I changed my mind and did a U-turn and headed another route...

Not long after doing that the bike bucked a couple times, went into some sort of limp mode and the Fi light started flashing with FI displayed on the screen...

I said the heck with it and decided to get as close to home as I could in case it quits and I have to have it flat-bedded...even while feeling like it was running on 20% power I was making my way...all of a sudden it bucked a little then took off like nothing happened...except the FI light was flashing....I made it all the way home with the bike running as it should..(it was kind of unnerving when it cleared itself as all of a sudden I was at mach speed as I had to have the throttle open quite a bit to maintain road speed when it was limping along...)

I got in my drive way, shut it down then restarted and the FI light went away so I took it for a short ride around my area and it ran fine with no light...

About 10 mins into it, the bike bucked ever so slightly, the FI light started flashing but no loss of power...I brought it home, shut it down...restarted and the FI light is gone...

I figure I picked up some bad fuel at the gas station....

I am going to through a can of fuel system treatment and hope it clears it out...if not I guess the tank will come off and I will change out the fuel filter and the fuel itself with fresh stuff...

No need to take tank off. Use a gravity siphon and suck it all out. Rag on a rod held fast and jammed down in there will sop up the rest. Same thing happened to me. The fuel filler neck goes down in the tank a few inches. Won’t allow all of the fuel to come out if you take it off and turn it upside down.

No need to take tank off. Use a gravity siphon and suck it all out. Rag on a rod held fast and jammed down in there will sop up the rest. Same thing happened to me. The fuel filler neck goes down in the tank a few inches. Won’t allow all of the fuel to come out if you take it off and turn it upside down.
I was thinking if I change out the tea bag filter I will have to pull the tank to get at the pump.

I might change out the fuel to see if that corrects it...my lawn tractor will burn the fuel I take out...

To add insult to injury (literally) I was drilling something (not bike related) and the bit broke and the broken part went through my thumb nail and out the tip of my thumb....

The government injected blood coagulants must still be in my system as it only bled a little so I put some crazy glue on it and back to work...with a new drill bit....

I only had Fi light came in once , pulled up to a junction and bike just died.

Turned the ignition on and off, bike started normally and light had gone out

Never happened again - kinda weird
First time for me as well.....as I was out in the middle of nowhere it was kind of disconcerting there for minute or two...once I found out the 'ol gal would limp along to get me home I felt better...

I'm going to drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel, hopefully that resolves the issue...

First time for me as well.....as I was out in the middle of nowhere it was kind of disconcerting there for minute or two...once I found out the 'ol gal would limp along to get me home I felt better...

I'm going to drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel, hopefully that resolves the issue...
I really don't think that will do anything.

Honestly I can't say, but most likely a sensor isn't happy. It never hurts to check every electrical connection, starting with the main ground to the engine.
I find it kind of odd it would happen right out of the blue and shortly after refueling...

The bike has never done this before-not even hinted towards doing this, I thought my Bazzaz was acting up so when I got home I unplugged and re-plugged all the electrical connections I could find...

The way it initially acted felt like a fueling issue to me, the way it dropped in power, it acted fuel starved then all of a sudden cleared and surprised me when it took off..

That being said, I am going to take your advice and start checking each and every plug and connection starting with the main ground...

This flashing FI light is elusive, there isn't a whole lot of info on it even on this site...some say it is like a "check engine light" which is linked to fueling, others have scratched their heads wondering why themselves....

I went into the manual although there are great things in there, the FI light flashing can mean anything...it only works to tell you there is an issue...as this one is very intermittent and hard to replicate, I have the dealer mode wire in awaiting it to flash again....

After reading through the manual, I have noted there sure are a lot of sensors in this thing...

It's a bit of a stumper for me as nothing has been changed on the bike, it doesn't see rain or water and doesn't spend time in the upper rev range (I rev it out on occasion just because).

Unless a sensor is on it's way out my mind says it's a fuel issue...if I go out right now and turn the key, the Fi light goes out and when I start it the Fi light stays out....maybe today I'll take it for a ride to see the Fi light comes on after a specific amount of time?

Last edited:
I would start with the fuel, easy to do and as you say the lawnmower will use it, better than tearing it all down to find out it was the fuel
I'm going to do that for sure...

This bike has always run excellent, strong and has never had any issues (other than a battery problem a few years ago). It's suspect to me that after fueling it started to have an issue...and just the way it acted by going into a sort of limp mode like it was a bit fuel starved makes me suspecting fuel...

In the same breath, I love to tear it down and play with it so I will also check all the connectors too...

Well, I went to the garage and tore into this....I drained the tank, took it off and removed the fuel pump...after a joyful experience, I changed out the fuel filter and put it all back together, put the tank on and filled full of fresh fuel...

I also unplugged and re-plugged all the electrical connections I could find....

It started right up and no FI light for now...I'll get it out on a test run later..

If nothing else, that nasty fuel filter needed to be changed...it was hard and crispy...and dirty as heck...

IMG_0472.JPG

Well, I went to the garage and tore into this....I drained the tank, took it off and removed the fuel pump...after a joyful experience, I changed out the fuel filter and put it all back together, put the tank on and filled full of fresh fuel...

I also unplugged and re-plugged all the electrical connections I could find....

It started right up and no FI light for now...I'll get it out on a test run later..

If nothing else, that nasty fuel filter needed to be changed...it was hard and crispy...and dirty as heck...

View attachment 1655076
Is that filter OEM or did you go for a pattern part

Back