FI light on, runs weak

TruWrecks

Banned
Well my FI light came on Saturday. I installed an x-tre and the FI light has been coming on since. I removed the x-tre and still no good. All connections are making good contact. I removed the PC3 to see if that was causing my bike woes. The bike wiring was put completely back to stock. The FI light is still coming on. It feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. All plugs are firing. :banghead:

Does the engine run in "limp home" mode if the FI light is triggered? Is there a way to reset the trigger in the ECU without taking it to a dealer? I've had a couple of cars that I could reset after any corrections were made.

At this point I'm suspecting that nothing is actually wrong, except that the x-tre triggered the FI light, and now the bike is forcing a safe mode program.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It should be flashing a code number. If so, look up the number in your repair manual and you'll know where the problem lies. If you do not have a manual, call your dealer and he can reference the code.

It should be flashing a code number. If so, look up the number in your repair manual and you'll know where the problem lies. If you do not have a manual, call your dealer and he can reference the code.

No codes, just a steady FI light. FI also appears under the gear indicator. The motor feels like it's running on 3, but all four plugs are firing.

The ODO and FI message will alternate for a few seconds than go steady FI.

disconnect the battery for a night if you havent done it by now.This will probably erase any temporary malfunctions.If your problem is temporary though???

The #1 cylinder is getting an intermittent firing code. The tach signal is failing when the sparkplug misses, but that's to be expected since the ECU appears to get the timing from the #1 cylinder.

Now I just need to dig through and find out what I may have bumped loose.

:banghead:

Your bike is under warranty...why not just take it in and let them figure it out ???

I realize that your mods probably triggered the trouble code (s)...just try to remove the evidence
of your tampering and have them diagnose it :thumbsup:

I already talked with my shop. If the problem is electrical it's a no go. I need to eliminate the wiring first. If it's anything else they will take care of it.

I need to check the wires at the ECU tonight. If they all check out I will let the shop deal with the rest.

Yes, I will be removing the X-TRE prior to taking it in. The PC3 and alarm can stay. They already know about those.

I got out my trusty multi-meter and started troubleshooting. I found a bad connection on pin 51 at the ECU harness plug. It was not properly seated from the factory. I bent the locking tab up slightly and seated the wire back in the plug. The errors are gone, and the Busa is idling and running on all four again. I guess I'm lucky I found that issue in my garage, not mid corner out in the boonies or track.

She's running strong again! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input peeps. It's always good to have a few other ideas to look into.

:beerchug:

HealTech is a class act. I emailed them a question about troubleshooting and them got back to me within two hours. We exchanged emails several times today while trying to get the problem isolated.

Thanks Norbert (HealTech)! You were a big help verifying that I had the install right, and that the unit was working correctly.

Silky smooth and a much quicker throttle response.

:beerchug:

Consider yourself lucky (finding the problem). Feeling daunted about installing the X-TRE on my B-King, I took it to the dealer today for them to install it. On the way home, check engine warnings, intermittent FI light, lots of fun. Healtech answered my emails, but the bike is spending the night at the dealer, they'll check connections tomorrow.

Shoulda done it myself. *sigh*

Back