What rpm do you shift at in realtion to MPGs ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
What rpm do you shift at in relation to MPGs ?

In light of my constant wondering about Blancas MPGs and others giving MPGs all over the board I am curious what RPM we are shifting at ?

I think this is a big factor in MPGs.

If I were to short shift it at 2k and be in 4th by 60mph I could prolly get better but I shift at 4-5k rpms right before she starts to scream.

When cruising I am around same 4-6k rpms.
I am never in gear cruising at 2k rpms, just dont like the feel or sound.
Also being that I constantly need to be able to twist and flick it past or around someone this is the rpm range I need to be in to survive SoFla traffic.

How about you guys and gals (sorry almost forgot there are a few :laugh:)

Last edited:
No wonder you get horrible milage. rpm = fuel consumed, no way around it.

I mentioned it in the other thread, shift very early if you're looking for fuel economy.

I posted a thread about MPGs a while back and come to find out, RPMs where the main difference beween a friend of mine and myself. I shift 4-6k unless im hauling then its way higher.... he shifts 3-3.5k

I cruise at about 115kph at around 4000RPM with very little city driving. Probably shift around 4-6000 rpm. I get on average 52mpg (Canadian gallon). I think that's about 43mpg US.

I am by no means a Hayabusa speedburner... I usually shift at around 3-3.5k in normal riding.

No wonder you get horrible milage. rpm = fuel consumed, no way around it.

I mentioned it in the other thread, shift very early if you're looking for fuel economy.

That's what in talking about .
I ain't getting on it by no means .
Others already post they shift same area but still get alot more than I ?
Still a mystery .
Like Blais cycle told me Blanca no matter what is determined to get 25-30 mpgs and that's it !
When stock she was same and now modded she's same .
The mpgs have not changed a bit after all my mods and gaining 20+ hp so I'm not complaining at all just wish I got better is all !

From the manual:

1st - 2nd at 12 MPH
2nd - 3rd at 19 MPH
3rd - 4th at 25 MPH
4th - 5th at 31 MPH
5th - 6th at 37 MPH

Does any one follow that shift pattern and if so what type of gas mileage do you get?

I shift between 4k and 5k RPM for the most part and get an average of 39 MPG. If I'm on the freeway running 80 MPH I get around 50 MPH. Stock bike with no performance mods. I keep track using an app on my iPhone that keeps track of the mileage and gas used between fill ups.

I use my bike as my primary form of transportation and I keep track of my MPG because it is easy and one of the first signs of engine trouble may drop your MPG. So by keeping track I should be able to notice potential trouble before it gets out of hand.

From the manual:

Does any one follow that shift pattern and if so what type of gas mileage do you get?

I shift between 4k and 5k RPM for the most part and get an average of 39 MPG. If I'm on the freeway running 80 MPH I get around 50 MPH. Stock bike with no performance mods. I keep track using an app on my iPhone that keeps track of the mileage and gas used between fill ups.

I use my bike as my primary form of transportation and I keep track of my MPG because it is easy and one of the first signs of engine trouble may drop your MPG. So by keeping track I should be able to notice potential trouble before it gets out of hand.

When taking it easy... 4k to 5k and light throttle application! I get 39-42mpg on average. On highway around 44-48mpg speed pending! When having fun 28-33mpg!

most of my miles are commuting and 2 up riding. The bike never really gets flogged. I cruise at around 3-4k and just about always shift at 4k unless I am trying to get around something. I average around 43mpg on the commute but have seen as high as 53mpg 2 up touring.

fine, to anyone who gets more mpgs than me :moon:

:laugh:

j/k

and just curious is all.
I have asked about mpgs before but never tied shift rpms into the equation .
Did I buy it for mpgs no.

I bought my busa as a commute vehicle. It's the first bike I've ever owned (I know bring on the rebuke). But I've learned it's all about throttle control and discipline. I wouldn't want anything much smaller than a busa to commute 45Miles one way.

I'm getting 48-49 mpg consistently shifting under 5k RPM. I gotten almost 9k off my last diablo strada front. Got a nail in my rear tire before it even got broke in good so still calculating on it.

Only 1 person has mentioned "Light throttle application"! You can really bust your consumption high if you labour the engine, too high a gear, WOT.

Try lighter throttle application, to a higher rev shift point. 2k is just too low! unless you're going down a hill.

Would having a speedo healer help with mpg's?

no, nothing to do with it.
All that does is show you correct speed not help with MPGs.

edited to Agree with below poster.
It can make a small difference I guess ?

Last edited:
if your speedo is off though its gonna throw your mileage off, which you use to figure mpg....

I guess your right but it is not off by much so I dont think my 25-30mpgs is suddenly gonna jump up to 40 or so ?
Dont think speedo and odo would be shorting me so much , would you ?

I would have to be missing 40 miles per tank or more.
If I get 120 miles out of 4 gallons which equals 30mpgs to kick it up 10mpgs I would have to get 160 on same 4 gallons ?

Last edited:
Back