Bit confused about what rpm i should shift at

umairhashmi

Registered
I was going through my suzuki owners manual and it has a bit of the gear and speeds you should be at section in it.According to the manual by the time you at riding at 50 mph you should be in 6th gear.So that means you should shift every time the rpm gets around 3-4
rock.gif
Ive never seen anyone do that.Most people wait and rev it out until the tach is at 8-9 before they shift from what ive noticed.Might sound dumb but im not sure.Usually if im riding at 50 im in 4th gear at the most.

The manual is all based on passing the noise and sniff test with the EPA. Forget it, I shift in and around town (not blowing someones doors off) at around 3500 to 4000. On the hwy I shift around 6-7 grand unless in the twisties and then you need the extra revs ! The real question is, do you want to blow by people or just enjoy a smooth ride. Big difference cause if you want max speed reached in min time, shift at 10,000 ! Of course 10,000 in 1st is still above 90% of all state speed limits
laugh.gif

I usually shift between 5 and 5.5 k....normal riding anyway

Wouldnt going that high every time cause engine damage in the long term? I do have the suzuki extended 5 yr warranty though
smile.gif

is this your first bike? just keep it under 5k for awhile ..at least until ya get used to it.be safe .it get going real fast at about 8k up.  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141512700 -->

is this your first bike? if so just hang about 5k for a while.any than that your gonna hit power band .lower it likes the lug.be careful until you get used to it. 1st and 2nd can get you in trouble real fast.
very true....I am very used to the bike now I actually hang in first til around 7 or so most times because of the gearing

be careful out there or find yourself on one wheel

Ive noticed that when you pull it up hard in 2nd you have to be easy when you let the clutch out in the 3rd or it might come up on the rear wheel

The manual is all based on passing the noise and sniff test with the EPA. Forget it, I shift in and around town (not blowing someones doors off) at around 3500 to 4000. On the hwy I shift around 6-7 grand unless in the twisties and then you need the extra revs ! The real question is, do you want to blow by people or just enjoy a smooth ride. Big difference cause if you want max speed reached in min time, shift at 10,000 ! Of course 10,000 in 1st is still above 90% of all state speed limits
laugh.gif
+

I have found that when I am not trying to "make up some time " I usually shift at 5-6K on a more open road.  Otherwise, around town, 3500-4K.  I can't see shifting at a higher rpm when the speed limit around town is 35mph (you can do the math, but I prefer not riding around town *always* in first gear)
smile.gif

I have noticed that shifting into any gear at a RPM higher than 4500 will soon put you in excess of the State maximum speed limit (regardless of state).
Shift when it feels good sounds right.

I love to hear my Busa run through it's exhausts "attitudes" but find the road quickly running short!
biggrin.gif

I was going through my suzuki owners manual and it has a bit of the gear and speeds you should be at section in it.According to the manual by the time you at riding at 50 mph you should be in 6th gear.So that means you should shift every time the rpm gets around 3-4
rock.gif
Ive never seen anyone do that.Most people wait and rev it out until the tach is at 8-9 before they shift from what ive noticed.Might sound dumb but im not sure.Usually if im riding at 50 im in 4th gear at the most.
Those are minimum speeds for those gears...I shift anywhere from 4-6000 RPM on the street.

When it's ON it's ON....then I will be shifting between 8-11000

I've found that when you shift into the higher gears at low engine speeds you get the false neutrals. You have to give her some juice and she responds perfectly.

Back