2008 Busa Shifting speeds

Billy Busa

Banned
This might be a stupid question but i dont really think there is such a thing as a stupid question.
lol1.gif

I never owned a Hayabusa before and was thinking of getting the 2008 in blue.

My question is: What is the recommended shifting speeds when shifting thru the gears, 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th in the owners manual?

Do you even get a chance to use 6th gear without going over 100 MPH ?

Im just wondering at what speeds do you shift from 1st into 2nd, 2nd into 3rd, 3rd into 4th and so on (NORMAL RIDING).

I think this was the same kind of question Dola225 was trying to ask Shifting but he just worded it wrong.
smile.gif

There is no set RPM to shift from except maybe the redline. I try to keep the revs high enough, 3,000+ in any gear in order to keep from lugging the motor in the wrong gear. If the revs fall below 3,000 I downshift. At an indicated 95 mph in 6th, my revs are about 5,000, just loping along. With a bike that can do over 80 in 1st, and over 100 in 2nd, just watch that you don't over rev it or bog down by under revving it.

I run up to the freeway speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear, but then I start shifting up to 5th or 6th. At 75 in 6th the RPMs are around 4k. The bike will pull fine in 6th. Downshift to 4th or 5th for passing and it will be just fine.

FYI 08 busa will do approx 74 in first gear red line, (used a GPS)

If you are using 6th under 100mph, i don't think the busa is the right bike for you. I don't even go the 5th under 100mph.
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

I am ussually in 6th gear at 40 to 45. Now I know why some people are getting poor gas mileage.

I'm really not tryin to be a butt. But whats with the questions about shifting speeds? Ever driven a manual? And by the way Memorex. IF your crusing in 6th at 45 MPH i believe it would be you getting the bad gas mileage. Its a high compression engine and is designed to be in the tighter RPM range.

If you read the manual it will tell you when the shift points are.

1st to 2nd      12mph
2nd to 3rd      19mph
3rd to 4th      25mph
4th to 5th      31mph
5th to 6th      37mph

These are for a stock geared 06. Its probly a little different for an 08 scince I know the gearing is different.

If you read the manual it will tell you when the shift points are.

1st to 2nd      12mph
2nd to 3rd      19mph
3rd to 4th      25mph
4th to 5th      31mph
5th to 6th      37mph

These are for a stock geared 06. Its probly a little different for an 08 scince I know the gearing is different.
K8 manual says the same thing but these numbers are totally ridiculous. IMO. Who came up with that? Mother Theresa?

No problems with low rpm cruising!!! Get great mpg running 5th or 6th around 45mph with light load. average 39-41 mpg on my trips around town and highway.

I shift early too in traffic. Shift point cruising are:

1-2 20 mph
2-3 30 mph (or just skip 1st and go to 3rd)
3-4 35-40 mph
4-5 45-50 mph
5-6 55+ mph

I have been averaging 43 mpg on my 08 Busa. all stock. cruising speed at 80 - 85 indicated on hwy 16 miles each way and about 6 -8 miles of stop and go traffic every day. With occassional bursts to 120+ when traffic permits....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

1-2 "when the front end starts to come down"
2-3 "right before you start to slide off the back"
3-4 "when the dotted line in the road starts to look like a solid line"
4-5 "when you have to be in a full tuck to stay on the bike"
5-6 "when cars seem to be going backwards"
6-7 "no matter how many times I try to shift to 7th, it isn't there"

1-2 "when the front end starts to come down"
2-3 "right before you start to slide off the back"
3-4 "when the dotted line in the road starts to look like a solid line"
4-5 "when you have to be in a full tuck to stay on the bike"
5-6 "when cars seem to be going backwards"
6-7 "no matter how many times I try to shift to 7th, it isn't there"
no 7th on the 08 busa now my 03 has one
laugh.gif
banghead.gif

I shift around 3k to 4k and get about 50mpg. Of course that drops when I am in the triple digits.
cool.gif

I'm really not tryin to be a butt. But whats with the questions about shifting speeds? Ever driven a manual?  And by the way Memorex. IF your crusing in 6th at 45 MPH i believe it would be you getting the bad gas mileage.  Its a high compression engine and is designed to be in the tighter RPM range.
The lower the RPM the better the gas mileage, just like when your giving the Busa lots of gas with the throttle, thats only giving you worse gas mileage then if you were to barely turn it. Common Sense.

Back