2nd gear shifting question

BlueBacon

Registered
This might be common motorcycle knowledge that was never passed on or that I just completely didn't pay attention too, but here it is:

Is there an issue by shifting from 2nd into neutral and then back into 2nd gear? 2nd>N>2nd
I shifted it to N while approaching a red light, which then changed to green before I was slow enough for 1st so I tried to pop it back to 2nd and the tranny forcefully kicked my shift lever back down. I ended up shifting to 1st and then immediately to 2nd since it felt/sounded horrible.

I've never had that issue on my gen 2...I get the 1st-2nd/5th-6th issue where it will miss a shift if I'm lazy shifting. If your rpms were too low it could kick it out...I've had that happen on other bikes.

@BlueBacon ...Busa's have a known 2nd gear issue. Some say no they don't,other's swear they do. Suzuki has had known tranny issues for years across multiple bikes.The ultimate fix is race cut gears. The best you can do failing that is to shift like you mean it,use good oil,fully disengaging clutch,etc. A half hearted shift is not in your best interest,especially 1st-2nd and 5th-6th. Some Busa owners have 2nd gear machined to aid the issue. My motor came apart on day 1 (zero miles),fully torn down,and had all the gears cut. Even with this it still has trouble finding neutral when cold,its the nature of the beast.As I mentioned,some will say "non-issue"...."fake news"....:laugh:
Rubb.

@BlueBacon ...Busa's have a known 2nd gear issue. Some say no they don't,other's swear they do. Suzuki has had known tranny issues for years across multiple bikes.The ultimate fix is race cut gears. The best you can do failing that is to shift like you mean it,use good oil,fully disengaging clutch,etc. A half hearted shift is not in your best interest,especially 1st-2nd and 5th-6th. Some Busa owners have 2nd gear machined to aid the issue. My motor came apart on day 1 (zero miles),fully torn down,and had all the gears cut. Even with this it still has trouble finding neutral when cold,its the nature of the beast.As I mentioned,some will say "non-issue"...."fake news"....:laugh:
Rubb.
yeah, I haven't had any issues yet (knock,knock) other than not lifting my toe fast enough
biggrin[1].gif

This felt like more of a mechanical "no-no". As if it wasn't supposed to do that at all.

To clarify: in 2nd gear, shift to N, shift back up to 2nd....no 1st gear.

biggrin[1].gif

yeah, I haven't had any issues yet (knock,knock) other than not lifting my toe fast enoughView attachment 1627196
This felt like more of a mechanical "no-no". As if it wasn't supposed to do that at all.

To clarify: in 2nd gear, shift to N, shift back up to 2nd....no 1st gear.

View attachment 1627196
Why are you shifting from 2nd to N and back to 2nd? Whats the scenario?
Rubb.

I shifted it to N while approaching a red light, which then changed to green before I was slow enough for 1st so I tried to pop it back to 2nd and the tranny forcefully kicked my shift lever back down.
that^ …no issue from 1st>2nd. It's going from 2nd>N>2nd.
I have to shift all the way to 1st or else the tranny forcefully kicks the lever down and sounds angry

I have to shift all the way to 1st or else the tranny forcefully kicks the lever down and sounds angry
I would never do that ^ again.
Reasons not to shift to "N" :
You are putting yourself in a bad(unsafe) position should you need power.Like possibly getting rear-ended. Nobody likes that. Well...some do..:laugh:
Most trannies don't like it. :devil:
You mentioned earlier you were approaching a red light and thought you were going to fast for 1st gear. Do you know how fast a stock Busa will go in first gear? Thats what a rev-limiter is for. Go find out. I have my ECU flashed to go beyond the stock RPM rev limiter....:race: or I would tell you what a stock Busa would do. I believe its in the neighborhood of 85 MPH. That should help with your gear selection at intersection red light changes. :thumbsup:
No more "N"...stop it. BlueBacon>:eek:
whip.gif
<Rubb.
Rubb.

It does happen in a scenario like u had and I've done it on all brands of bikes. Idk really why but like rubb said don't go to neutral until at a complete stop that keeps u safer and don't have to worry about it not wanting to go into gear.

Does double clutching equalize the input and output shaft speeds on a motorcycle? I prefer not to be in neutral but if caught in this scenario that is what I would try. What says you gurus?

Great advice, but I still wanna know why it is doing this...is it supposed to feel like I'm kicking it in the teeth or is my tranny showing early issues? I've never cracked open a transmission so I don't know if this is a normal mechanical function, or what is causing the sharp refusal.
You can shift back and forth between all gears 2-6 without an issue, but 2-N-2 is like throwing a rock in the gears...why?

It is possibly due to a large differential in speed between the input and output shafts when in neutral. The rough shift is not likely to be an indicator of tranny wear or any sort of problem.

I am betting that if we engage the clutch, rev it in neutral, disengage the clutch, then shift, that would equalize the input and output sides of the tranny and it will slip into gear easily. The purpose of that would be to cause the same speed differentials that being in first gear causes. On a stick shift car this works, as blipping the throttle assists the syncrhonizers and it shifts like butter. I do not know the design of these transmissions so I cannot say for sure if this is even a good idea.

Back