What rpm do you shift at in realtion to MPGs ?

Try using very little throttle and take it up to 4k to 5k and see if you an improvement! If you have a speedohealer of some sort.. your mileage will read lower then without one. This is due to the factory speedo reading higher then you are actually going. Mine were off by 5mph to 7mph stock! Now I have all my bikes setup with gps/speedohealer.. and they read right.

I guess your right but it is not off by much so I dont think my 25-30mpgs is suddenly gonna jump up to 40 or so ?
Dont think speedo and odo would be shorting me so much , would you ?

I would have to be missing 40 miles per tank or more.
If I get 120 miles out of 4 gallons which equals 30mpgs to kick it up 10mpgs I would have to get 160 on same 4 gallons ?

on stock sprockets no, if youve changed them then yes, they can be pretty far off, stock gen2 arent far off anyway.

From the manual:

Does any one follow that shift pattern and if so what type of gas mileage do you get?

I shift between 4k and 5k RPM for the most part and get an average of 39 MPG. If I'm on the freeway running 80 MPH I get around 50 MPH. Stock bike with no performance mods. I keep track using an app on my iPhone that keeps track of the mileage and gas used between fill ups.

I use my bike as my primary form of transportation and I keep track of my MPG because it is easy and one of the first signs of engine trouble may drop your MPG. So by keeping track I should be able to notice potential trouble before it gets out of hand.

That is about how I do it too, except I am a little higher on the RPM's at shift (Clutch-less most of the time on freeway). I was :rofl: when I read the owners manual and confirmed their speed and shift ratio, Heck I have not even got out of the driveway at 35 mph!:rofl::rofl: In fact I only went into 6th gear to make sure I did not get ripped off when I first got the bike.:laugh:
I very rarely even get to 6th unless I am on a long slab ride to SD, seriously!
That has to be a translation problem in the manual.

Now, when I am in the twities it is a whole nother story, RPM's are at 8 - 9k most of the time and the mileage goes way down.
Bubba

I read that like 3 times too and still didn't believe it. :rofl:

I'm going to follow that shift pattern tomorrow and see what happens. If I don't post up for a few days you can assume it did not go well. :laugh:

I think that shift pattern is for a little 500 cc and it was written in the 70's no way I am in high gear at 60mp

All my vehicles are hot rods or 4wd, so the Busa on a bad day, still gets the best mpg. Answer shifting 4000rpm, about 41mpg

Don't forget about weight in all of this! If your tipping the scales well above 200 obviously that is going to factor in!

Blanca.... one question? Do you have an X-Tre? If so, you will burn more petro with it. I did. Removed it (ecu flashed) and mpg improved.

Don't forget about weight in all of this! If your tipping the scales well above 200 obviously that is going to factor in!

Good point, I shaved 60+ lbs off the old girl, and it is a much different riding experience.

But I still keep the RPMs higher than most, and find myself looking for gas at 120-150 miles.

I like to say, "She will Pass everything, on the road, Except a Gas Station" :laugh:
Bubba

Yeah, On my normal communting I can get up to 200 before the light comes on and start getting worried around 240

Wow!, I have never gotten that far without the light coming on! It is usually about 120 - 145 max, if I ride very easy on the freeway, and streets.
Do you do a lot of slab?
I do 50-50 everyday and push a little more on the streets and weekends.
Bubba

PS: Are you riding the 15 a lot? I ride the 74 every Now and Then, lets get together soon and go to the Candy Store some time!

Last edited:
I love the candy store!!! lol oink oink! lol I am ginger everyday to work on it. Shifting at 3k. My cruising speed is 85 or 90 indicated. Depending on traffic. But even when I did the one ride with scar I got 42, and that was going ludicrous speed!! My bike just loves me and rewards me buying it by giving me good gas mileage!

Last edited:
That's what in talking about .
I ain't getting on it by no means .
Others already post they shift same area but still get alot more than I ?
Still a mystery .
Like Blais cycle told me Blanca no matter what is determined to get 25-30 mpgs and that's it !
When stock she was same and now modded she's same .
The mpgs have not changed a bit after all my mods and gaining 20+ hp so I'm not complaining at all just wish I got better is all !

It's not just the shift point, it's that you're cruising at 60 in 4th gear. These aren't little displacement engines, there is plenty of torque available at low rpm to pull a higher gear and get reasonable fuel economy.

Again, if everybody is after decent milage, follow the shift pattern in the manual. This holds true for automobiles as well, no reason a bike is any different. You don't cruise down the freeway in 3rd gear in a car unless you're looking to screw off, right?

shift between 3.5k-4k depending on situation... avg about 37mpg...

+3 rear though... not sure how much that might impact things over all...

Just thinking out loud here but I'm thinking that in shifting early, say below 3,000, it will cause more wear and tear on other items, like the chain and clutch...? I would think so, since your lugging/loading the motor...

Back