Not sure what RPM to shift at?

umairhashmi

Registered
I just shift when i hear the engine getting louder but people say its best to change gears at a certain RPM.So what exactly does that mean? Also what does the F1 thing on the busa gauges means?

Your question is far to broad. What are doing, ie.. racing, cruising, riding 2up? Anywhere between 3,000 to 11,800 rpm is ideal depending on the task at hand. Optimally as with any gasoline combustion engine it is best to shift within the lower rpm range for fuel economy. Hope this helps.

The FI light will come on when the fuel injection system has a fault.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137916058 -->

f1 usually means fi injection tripping,shift whereever you feel comfortable shifting according to the riding style at the moment.

Right now my primary concern is to baby the engine as much as i can since the bike barely has a few hundred miles on it.Soon as it hits 600 ill take it for the first oil change so they can take the break in oil out

Should have dumped the oil at 100 miles, and then again at 600 if you ask me.
I will be doing the fast Moto-Man break-in on my 06.

The motoman deal works to dyno tested vs street breakin...35 miles on the dyno and it was all good.

rock.gif

I can tell by your other topic you are new to the game which is cool we are here to help you....Since your bike is going through break in you can go by your owners manual, it tells you what rpm you can go up too.. Or be like me and some others who got on in the first day and screw break in, hahaha...But to answer your Q. on the street riding normal I shift about at 6000 rpm.

I normally short shift around 4 to 4.5 (that's when Bessie starts the Buzz) when I am on the run though, 7-9 ain't unheard of....

Just riding normal I shift around 3k....
wink.gif

Racing I shift at 11,200 (indicated) on the tach....
cool.gif

OK, I like to shift right after the wheel is pointed skyward so that I can save on front tires.

i usually shift: (after bike was broken in)
1 into 2: 5500 rpm
2 ino 3: 6000 rpm
3 into 4: 5000 rpm

much higher than some.. but this is for back road driving.. and so the engine slows itself down..

i dont usually get into third or fourth gear unless on highway..
with second gear i get around 65 mph per hour (Tach is close 8500 rpm).

just my driving style.. you will learn yours with time...

so in the city just first and second.. if i am cruising... just taking it easy..
around 3000 rpm for each gear...

good luck.. dont rush it.. you will learn...
smile.gif

I take off in 6th. That way I don't have to shift.

By the way, I've been meaning to say something. Hayabusa clutches SUCK! I go through one every 3 weeks! I wonder why ...

Back