Buying an $800 helmet...

I always love the "how much is your head/life worth" analogies. Its a great way for someone to try to justify buying an overpriced helmet thats no better protection wise than the lower priced one.:rofl: But heres the deal....MY LIFE is worth alot more than $800 and since they dont make a $8000000000 helmet, I guess I'll stick with my $150 scorpion that fits great, has great ventilation, and only mildly chaotic graphics. As for you guys that think your lifes only worth the cost of an overpriced helmet, well, that kinda lets everyone know your state of mind and place in life right there. :whistle: not trying to pick a fight, but the webs full of just as many pics and testomonials of people whose heads were saved by $75 helmets as people whose heads where saved by $800 helmets and since the they've all passed the same tests to get certified, and since even the "top manufacturers" make the exact same helmets without the flash for hundreds less than the painted up flashier version, and that $800 helmet can be had for a little over $400 without the graphics, the only real justification for buying such an expensive helmet is just to say you bought an expensive helmet.

Not all helmets are going to fit your head the same. Also like others have said the higher end helmets are going to have a better fit and finish to them. The materials used also contribute to the final cost.

As for the helmet protecting your head its going to depend on the accident. If you crash at 100 mph, and slide down the side of the front straight at your local track, you might rub some paint off your helmet. You could very possibly come out with nothing worse than a bruised ego & busted up bike. On the other hand you could crash at 15mph head on with a tree and be dead on impact.

The force of impact will be different depending on each and every accident. A proper fitting helmet will greatly affect its ability to protect your head. Like the other guys have said.... just because the helmet passes the standards.... but by how much?

I'm a firm believer in the top name brands as they do more research and development to further advance their products. Lower end brands do not put as much emphasis on this as they just want the minimum standards and maximum profit. I'm not going to name any names... but one manufacturer that sells products strictly for the street puts WAY too much money into advertisement. Their money would be better put to use on research and development to produce a better product. I will NOT buy any of their crap as I want value for my dollar. Should I go down I want to make sure that the protective clothing does its JOB. I ride a sportbike.... not pose on a sportbike.

click links provided in this thread and open your mind. $80 transferred less impact force to the skull than the high dollar helmets.. Its all about the name. If price wear synonymous with quality, then harleys would cost less than honda rebels.:whistle:

Yea I'd be curious to see what the Busters would come up with, but my biggest thing when it comes to helmets, is simply comfort and wind noise at the visor.
I've had the cheap on and they do the job, but I put on a Shoei and I have to say, ....ah nice

:laugh:

Yes I was looking at the Pearl Black Quantum 2, they are on sale for $334 right now with free shipping, would love to support the forum sponsors as usual if possible!

I love the Arai, My brother won't wear anything else not only for his faith in it, he test them regularly on the street an has a large collection of damaged helmets.:laugh: Most of all he likes they way they cut through the wind.

Just can't afford it myself if I could I would have a couple myself.

Strange letter by the person in the accident though..:whistle:

I was a paramedic for six years and attended too many crashed motorcyclists and had seen first hand the difference a quality helmet can make in the after accident outcome. That is why I bought the Arai just two weeks before my accident.

Thats why he bought the Arai :whistle: guess going to all those accidents didn't teach him to slow his roll on the street. Glad he made it. I agree that all helmets are made to pass the same test in order to make it to store shelves for selling. But not all helmets are designed the same nor made from the same materials or padded the same way, that s jmo

I love the Arai, My brother won't wear anything else not only for his faith in it, he test them regularly on the street an has a large collection of damaged helmets.:laugh: Most of all he likes they way they cut through the wind.

Just can't afford it myself if I could I would have a couple myself.

Strange letter by the person in the accident though..:whistle:

Thats why he bought the Arai :whistle: guess going to all those accidents didn't teach him to slow his roll on the street. Glad he made it. I agree that all helmets are made to pass the same test in order to make it to store shelves for selling. But not all helmets are designed the same nor made from the same materials or padded the same way, that s jmo

Same with cars and highway crash testing, all must pass but some do a much better job protecting their occupants so they go by stars.

The test for helmets hasn't changed much in the last decade making it easy for every Chinese company that wants to crank out buckets in mass.

I can tell you that you won't find half the Chinese helmet brands in Europe as their standards and tests are much more stringent, however you'll always find that both Arai and Shoei are sold there.

When you can get a pretty plain NEW Arai Quantum 2 for $334 in nearly every solid color it seems a bit silly to try and save the extra benjamin for a no name, but like the saying goes, "if you got a ten dollar head then buy a ten dollar bucket"

Last edited:
I went into Cycle Gear the other day...tried on the Arai profile and loved it. Then I saw the '09 Corsair which got me thinking(and wishing)...is there a good reason to buy an $800 helmet? Can it really be better than my $200 Icon? My Icon was considerably better than my HJC but how much better can an $800 helmet be?

Any thoughts?

If you have a $200 head then use a $200 helmet. If you want the best head protection money can buy then get an Arai!

After 32 years of riding HD's without a Helmet I bought two Arai Corsair V helmets last Spring for the the wife and I. I cannot believe how comfortable this helmet is!!! I paid $500 ea. so you should be able to buy them new for around a little more than $500 now from 3D Cycles in Bangor, Maine.

3Dcycles:
Bangor Maines Motorcycle Super Store. Motorcyle Sportbike connection as well as ATV , Dirt Bikes and Snowmobiles

Agreed on the Arai, just scored a last years stock quantum 4 for $334 with free shipping. My first Arai was an old Signet which was NIB but over 12 years old bought off ebay for a benjamin

getting one of these. it's shipping monday, got it and a dark visor for $550 shipped. also has 1 free shipping size swap if it doesn't fit!

:2cents:I just picked up an Arai RX-7 GP Harada Gold. First of all, it breaths better then my shoei,icon,hjc. Also, The fit/finish is a good class above shoei. I especially love the vents integrated into the visor, where my shoei is normally fogging, the arai is crystal clear.

Arai FTW

:2cents:I just picked up an Arai RX-7 GP Harada Gold. First of all, it breaths better then my shoei,icon,hjc. Also, The fit/finish is a good class above shoei. I especially love the vents integrated into the visor, where my shoei is normally fogging, the arai is crystal clear.

Arai FTW

Great purchase! You're going to love it :thumbsup:

Actually Ben Spies uses an HJC........ obviously it's not an off the shelf helmet but I doubt any pro racer uses an off the shelf helmet.

Ben Spies Yep HJC.... Id put a HJC sticker over my Shoei or Aria if they paid me thousands of dollars to market it!!!!

I bet Shoei or Aria are closer to off the shelf helmets than a hjc. JMO

Don't get me wrong I have owned 3 hjc helmets and they were not that bad at all but now own a shoei and don't think I could ever go back to a hjc.

Arai(s) RULE period.

Always buy a good helmet. It's not about passing the minimum snell or DOT test
it's about fit and comfort and will enhance your ride everytime you ride, everyday
and is money very well spent.

To the guys that buy the cheapies saying they work just as well...(no offense)
but you ain't got a clue. It's like your ridding a moped claiming it'll take you to
the same place a busa does, and while that may be true (although take longer)
it's the journey that provides the different experience.

I started with a scorpian, not knowing any better.
I opted to upgrade to a shoei rf-1000 and an upgrade it was, lighter and more
comfortable.
shoei1.jpg

Still not quite satisfied I bought a Arai Profile Sinister and my eyes opened for
the first time. Wearing an Arai is like not wearing a helmet at all but with wind
protection...optically correct visor (dark smoke for me)...you almost have to
touch your head to make sure it's still on.
Sinister2.jpg

I got my profile from helmet city for around $500 (worth every single PENNY).
Arai is the only thing I'll wear...

Back