Any reviews for a 2004 F350 Turbo Diesel Lariat Edition

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
Think about getting this used truck. Any good or bad?? Its got 100K which is not much for a diesel..

D4194B.jpg

just depends on how much real heavy towing they did before. i currently have a f350 xlt and only problems to date was a few random oil leaks. is thee any reason you want a duely?

the 100K is not too bad for the diesel but it is still a pickup truck.. have it checked over pretty closely.. We wore out the drive train in our dually every year towing the race rig (45' Chaparral) Lucky most of these trucks are just driven by urban cowboys and never see real duty... :)

the 100K is not too bad for the diesel but it is still a pickup truck.. have it checked over pretty closely.. We wore out the drive train in our dually every year towing the race rig (45' Chaparral) Lucky most of these trucks are just driven by urban cowboys and never see real duty... :)
I have never owned a diesel...anything special I should look for??

Unless you're pulling a gooseneck the dually is only going to hurt your mileage and cost more in tires, no other benefit. Dually do not increase your towing capacity or available tongue weight.

Look for a Dodge with an HO Turbo Diesel, of course, I'm biased. Good luck!

6.0 Powerstrokes have had problems, I personally would stay away. Had that motor in an F550, bought new, it was in the shop (under warranty, but still) 3 times before it had 1k on it. It would just die sometimes going down the road. I would look for a 7.3 (01 and older) or a new twin-turbo if the budget will stretch to it.

I have never owned a diesel...anything special I should look for??
well depending on how well the thing was taken care of... looking for excessive blue smoke (oil), drive train backlash, smooth clean shifts, quiet rear end.. just the normal stuff.. I would just make any purchase contingent upon an inspection by an independent shop.. I am sure you have enough mechanical intuition to tell if the thing is beat...

I really liked the dually crew cab just because of the space.. add a small sleeper on the back of the cab and you can at least get a little rest going down the road..

Another nice benefit is with the duals on the back, you get a lot more stable towing platform under less than ideal towing conditions.. When running long miles it really makes a world of difference on the guy behind the wheel.. Keep in mind, after you have a crew cab, you will probably never own a conventional pickup again :laugh:

Truck brand loyalties are like any other... everyone has one.. and IMO, there are good and bad in every lineup.. Our Chevy duallies were always the best riding.. The fords always held up the best mechanically, and the dodge? well... after 4 transmissions in one season, we only had one... I am sure that is old news and has been taken care of.. When we finally went with a real truck (Tractor trailer), life became really nice on the race circuit..

Last edited:
Well thats where I am headed with this truck. I want to Land Speed Race it as well...why not you only live once.

Now thats a heck of an idea! Diesel power magazine lately has been concentrating on sled pulling and drag racing with the occasional story about Land Speed Racing. They recently featured a Chevy LSR buildup.. There are other mags out there as well like "8Lug" and "Diesel World".

Now thats a heck of an idea! Diesel power magazine lately has been concentrating on sled pulling and drag racing with the occasional story about Land Speed Racing. They recently featured a Chevy LSR buildup.. There are other mags out there as well like "8Lug" and "Diesel World".
Cool...lots to learn but should be fun. Drive 26 hours, race and pull the trailer home. Might add a AEM tru-boost controller and some highway gears... :beerchug:

I own a 06 F-350, it will be the last Ford diesel I buy. Already have had to change the clutch out 32,000 miles and the engine at 36,000. I have and do tow some heavy loads but never exceeded 16,000 lbs total for the trailer and load. Also had some warranty work done when i found coolant coming out of the overflow, I found out it has a EGR cooler, that when the valve gets stuck, it will flash boil the coolant. The 6.0 also has a low tolerance for tuners, do your self a favor, get a Cummings, that same design has been used for over 40 years and has been proven.

check out banks peformance if you are going dually :beerchug: I've not owned one but has been a consideration here recently as well to see about a dually for towing. Until then the avalanche or suburban will haveta haul whatever :whistle:

I own a 06 F-350, it will be the last Ford diesel I buy. Already have had to change the clutch out 32,000 miles and the engine at 36,000. I have and do tow some heavy loads but never exceeded 16,000 lbs total for the trailer and load. Also had some warranty work done when i found coolant coming out of the overflow, I found out it has a EGR cooler, that when the valve gets stuck, it will flash boil the coolant. The 6.0 also has a low tolerance for tuners, do your self a favor, get a Cummings, that same design has been used for over 40 years and has been proven.
not to bash but most clutch issues are "driver" issues... a diesel does not run or drive the same as a gas motor vehicle..

on a diesel, you should engage the clutch fully before ever touching the throttle (read foot off pedal) gassing the motor up and engaging the drive train does little more than use up the clutch.. we never changed a clutch on our units (100K easy on a clutch).. I bet the unit you had changed probably turned the plate or disk blue (burned up)

And I would agree, the Allison is the best transmission option for most.. thing had its problems initially but GM got it that squared away pretty fast..

Is this a hayabusa i thought this was a hayabusa site i guess not need to go to a hayabusa site to see blogs only:rulez:

Back