shifting gear

Do you always used the clutch to shift gear?

• I always used the clutch

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • sometimes I used the clutch

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • never

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wallie

Registered
I know that you can shift gears w/out your clutch but I don't like doing it often how often you do it.

Low speed clutch-less shifts can be cumbersome, especially from 1st to 2nd gear. I usually use my clutch at low speed. High speed is always clutch-less, always. Buttery smooth and nearly instant.

Wow to completely opposite points of view on the use of the clutch.

I would say I use the clutch 99% of the time...

I never clutch when racing only when street riding, apply pressure right before I blip and I never miss a beat, choo-choo

I second that.???

When I race I only pull the clutch in half way while shifting. From what Ive been told its alittle easier on the clutch and trans and better than just slamming the gears down the track. And your not fully disengaging the clutch. Its just what ive been told to do.

I don't think you can directly correlate clutchless shifting to trans problems.
I have to say though, the numbers are intriguing. There are lots of first gen busa's out there...more so than most other models because the same bike was sold 8 years unchanged. There are, so far in the poll, more riders shifting clutchless than with the clutch. You add in the factor of guys who clutchless shift smoothly compared to the guys who don't........and factor in that in 8 years suzi would most definately have fixed any weak tranny issues in their eyes before now, and the higher number of tranny issues with these bikes start to look like they could very well be related to improper clutchless shifting rather than weak trannies. Things that make you go hmmm.......

I have to say though, the numbers are intriguing. There are lots of first gen busa's out there...more so than most other models because the same bike was sold 8 years unchanged. There are, so far in the poll, more riders shifting clutchless than with the clutch. You add in the factor of guys who clutchless shift smoothly compared to the guys who don't........and factor in that in 8 years suzi would most definately have fixed any weak tranny issues in their eyes before now, and the higher number of tranny issues with these bikes start to look like they could very well be related to improper clutchless shifting rather than weak trannies. Things that make you go hmmm.......

Non sense. I've never had a tranny problem. There's one of the many who disproves your theory.

Actualy the poll tells you the opposite. More than 50% shift clutchless so what you're saying is that means more the 50% have had trans problems? Try a second poll asking how many have had trans shifting problems and see if the result is higher or lower than 50%. ???

Actualy the poll tells you the opposite. More than 50% shift clutchless so what you're saying is that means more the 50% have had trans problems? Try a second poll asking how many have had trans shifting problems and see if the result is higher or lower than 50%. ???

Okay guys lets try this I will start a poll asking how many poeple had trans problems and lets see the result if the match this poll. :thumbsup:

No, what I said was considering the number of guys who clutchless shift properly...compared to the guys who don't, there won't be 50%/50%...in other words, not EVERY guy who clutchless shifts will lose second gear, just the guys who do it IMPROPERLY...read my post again :laugh: I probably could have simplified it a bit more though :(
I have to say though, the numbers are intriguing. There are lots of first gen busa's out there...more so than most other models because the same bike was sold 8 years unchanged. There are, so far in the poll, more riders shifting clutchless than with the clutch. You add in the factor of guys who clutchless shift smoothly compared to the guys who don't........and factor in that in 8 years suzi would most definately have fixed any weak tranny issues in their eyes before now, and the higher number of tranny issues with these bikes start to look like they could very well be related to IMPROPER clutchless shifting rather than weak trannies. Things that make you go hmmm.......

I do suspect that sloppy shifting is the main reason for 2nd gear probs on the busa tho.....just like I think its the prob on most any bike that loses 2nd gear. And believe me the busa's not the only bike to ever lose 2nd gear :laugh: If you do a search on this site you'll see that most of the guys who have had 2nd gear probs also admitted to clutchless shifting...some drag racing...some not :;): Its easy to blame the machine tho isn't it? Don't worry, the same thing goes on every other bike board as well :laugh: :;):

Last edited:
I have intermittent false neutrals at times on my 08 between 4th-5th and 5th-6th but the false neutrals NEVER happen if I don't use the clutch for those gears.??? I now use the clutch for up shifting between 1-4 and always when down shifting but not between 4-5 and 5-6 and this has 100% eliminated the false N issue.:thumbsup: Explain that all you doubters.:poke: If done correctly and without any "grinding" this technique will not do any damage at all to the transmission and in my case I feel it actually is a quicker more positive shift that is actually improving the full engagement of the dogs on the gears and that is why it shifts better this way.

Back