How do you shift?

TA_GunSurgeon

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I was reading the transmission thread and people were talking about only shifting for 1st gear or 2 fingering the clutch. Me personally, I always use the clutch up shifting and down shifting, but I know you can shift with out it. The question is why would you shift with no clutch? What are the benifits and or the disadvantages? So let's hear how you shift and why?

TA, where is that thread? I'd like to read it because I think the way I shift is too hard on the tranny. I need to learn a new way of shifting I guess. I've already had to replace 4/6 gears when I first bought it and don't want to have to do it again.

I really dont think I could ride a bike smoothly using the clutch to shift. I don't think I know anyone (personaly)that does use there clutch at least to upshift.

yeah when i got mu 08 i quit using the clutch way smoother
firedevil.gif

YA JUST BLIP THE THROTTLE WITH A LITTLE TOE PRESSURE ON THE SHIFTER.KEEP PRATICING AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW QUICKLY YOU CAN SHIFT DURING COMPITION. YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH MATCH AN AIR SHIFTER.DOWN SHIFTING I DO NOT RECOMEND , IT JUST DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT.

I hardly ever use the clutch.(on any of my bikes) Upshifting or down shifting. Use it to start out and to stop. If you learn your bike, and how to shift clutchless correctly, it's rather easy, and it's alot smoother on your trans. But done incorrectly it is jarring and very bad for your trans.

And I have a Holeshot powershifter for the strip. So- even at the track I only use clutch to launch and after I go through the traps.

I always use the clutch upshifting from 1st to 2nd. Too many Busas have had 2nd gear problems. Around town and street riding I use the clutch every time, much smoother than no clutch. At the track, 2-6 upshifting without the clutch. Clutchless shifting is faster.

I always use the clutch to downshift. At the track I feather the clutch as needed to keep the rear from chattering, of course at the track I'm at the very top of the rpm range.

I always use the clutch riding on the street. I never use it at the strip though. I think I'm gonna use it a lot less in the streets now though.
winkold.gif

IMG_0514.jpg

never have used the clutch going up in gears other than first. not on this bike or any other i have rode.

I do it either way, but can atest to the fact that if I didn't know how to clutchless shift, I wouldn't have made it home the night my clutch lever fell off!!!

It all depends on the situation. I sometimes use the clucthless method, it seems easier on the bike thats for sure.

I mostly go clutchless, and have ridden a lot of hard road course race track miles. and I have not been polite to it - kicking it hard, p!55ed off at random missed gears.... so, at about 30k miles, had to get some gears and forks replaced. clutchless has always been way smoother for me when done correctly

Back