Clutchless shifting

kdawg31337

Registered
I thought I posted this...but can't find it again...but anyway here it goes again:

I'm trying to figure out optimum shift technique for speed and for just normal riding. I've heard that at the right RPM you don't need to use the clutch. I've never had the balls to try that, so can you do it? My normal sequence is clutch in/throttle close at more or less the same time, shift, throttle out clutch out to friction point for a second...clutch out. For speed I just let go of the clutch after the shift. Is that about right?

That'll do. Clutchless is the same thing, minus the clutch. Just put a little pressure on the shift lever, off the gas, kick the shift lever up, then back on the gas, all in the blink of an eye.

Learn this from 5th to 6th or 4th to 5th at low rpm's and you should be fine.

--Wag--

Actually you CAN shift without using the clutch at all. You just shift when as you let off of the throttle a little. Bascially, all you're doing is unloading the gears enough by letting off the gas ever so slightly (for just an instant). When you let off like that and have a little pressure on the shifter peg it'll go right to the next gear...and when done right it can actually be smoother than using the clutch. You can do it going up and down in gears.

I do it al the time. High and low rpm's. Off and on with the throttle. Its a feel thing. Just never try that N-1 shift, its a biaowtch.
laugh.gif

I use clutchless going up most of the time (2-6). Just a "blip" of the throttle. I use the clutch 1-2 and all downshifts.

Don

Most importantly, practice on a rental or someone elses bike... If you fug up a lot of clutchless you can do a pretty good amount of damage.

+1. I do it from 2-6 and the clutch between 1-2. Sometimes I will start off in 2nd and speedshift (clutchless) from that point. I have heard that if you are trying to have a good lauch to start off in 2nd sometimes. Is that true?

Never heard of a second gear launch being better, but I have heard of launching without getting the rpm's up being better. Of course that's a matter of preference though.

BTW:
Although this isn't your thread ->

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151402120 -->

Back