Up-shifting... Do you always speedshift?

BowDown

Registered
I just tried speed shifting my busa, and I would have to say 2nd gear and up it shifts smooth. Was the bike designed to do this, or can I cause damage? I have always used the clutch up and down on this bike and previous bikes...

I have been "speed shifting" since pretty much day one with the Busa. You'll get the hang of 1st and it will be just as smooth as 2nd thru 6th. I was told by the head mechanic that the Busa was designed for this.

Don't know if it was "designed" for it. I've clutchless upshifted all my bikes during aggressive acceleration by "blipping" the throttle. I've heard people clutchless downshifting with a steady throttle though I wouldn't do it.

If I'm just cruising... I always use the clutch but that's just me.

When riding around town, I always use the clutch.

When on the race track, I use the clutch from 1st to 2nd, then clutchless upshifting 2-6. I always use the clutch downshifting.

Upshifting is OK, DO NOT downshift without the clutch. I learned the hard way (2000$ to replace the shift fork and 1-2nd gears)

the bike has a clutch... use it... common... everyone's doing it...
firedevil.gif

I don't ride all that hard so I shift up and down without the clutch from time to time. I've done that with every bike and standard trans car I've ever owned.

But I do use the clutch from time to time. It's just easier and requries a little less focus.

--Wag--

When the mood strikes me and I'm running hard at high rpm's I speed shift. Otherwise, the clutch is my method of shifting.

Oddly, I have never speedshifted... no biggie, just never saw a draw or need to do it.

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 27 2007,18:15) When riding around town, I always use the clutch.

When on the race track, I use the clutch from 1st to 2nd, then clutchless upshifting 2-6.  I always use the clutch downshifting.
Ditto ... except I do it from 1st to 2nd as well. I damaged a shift fork by doing so, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I have since replaced my forks and have gotten my tranny racecut, so I should be good now. Even with the racecut though, I still use the clutch to downshift.

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 27 2007,17:15) When riding around town, I always use the clutch.

When on the race track, I use the clutch from 1st to 2nd, then clutchless upshifting 2-6. I always use the clutch downshifting.
I do same as "track" for street.

Just out of curiousity Charles, why not street? It's silky smooth at lower rpm's and a lot less stress than at race pace, so why not?
rock.gif

P.S.- As mentioned above, NOT 1-2 shift, WAY too many fugged up second gears out there already!
pissed.gif

I thought the clutch was just for when you needed to get moving from a dead stop....
wow.gif

Back