How do you shift?

normally use the clutch from 1st to 2nd, clutchless going the rest of the way up...downshifting depends on the situation, usually clutchless down to 2nd and then into neutral if i am stopping for a red light but i use the clutch if i am going into 1st
beerchug.gif

Whether you use the cluth upshifting is really up to you..........BUT everything I've ever read about downshifting is that you should always use the clutch when downshifting.......Always

Whether you use the cluth upshifting is really up to you..........BUT everything I've ever read about downshifting is that you should always use the clutch when downshifting.......Always
just blip the throttle and it will slide right in with almost no pressure...of course, i am not advocating that anyone kick the shifter and force it into the lower gear...also, it makes a difference that i have been riding for over 30 years and have ridden almost anything that has wheels and a motor...it takes a lot of practice and it is probably a good idea to learn on a cheaper bike than a 'Busa
beerchug.gif

Clutchless upshifting-next time you're out try this-

Use clutch to shift from 1-2, then accelerate normally and right before you reach shift point apply moderate pressure on shift lever-let off throttle maybe 1/8-1/4 inch and shift it! You'll be amazed how easy it is, after just a few times it is very easy to coordinate the no-off throttle and it is so smooth it feels like an automatic transmission! Key point for me was pre-loading the shift lever, when you roll off the throttle you feel it slip into gear and know exactly how far you have to let off for it to match. I shift this way at all times, whether riding easy or in anger. My guidelines:

Use clutch for 1-2 shift- way too many 2nd gear issues out there already, furthest travel across neutral.

Use clutch for downshifting at all times.

Try it and post back in here how it went!
easybutton.png

Clutchless, most of the time. But I'll use the clutch off and on when I'm in the mood.

--Wag--

Well I went riding today about 200 miles all clutchless up shift. It really is smoother than clutching especially when coming hard out of a corner. I didn't try it for down shifting and I don't plan on it. Any way most of the time when I down shift it's more than one gear.

I would NEVER shift from 1'st to 2'nd without the clutch !!!! from 2'nd to 6'th I almost never use the clutch, just feels sooooo smooth !! Like said already just as you apply a little pressure to the shifter, back off the throttle a little bit ( almost a little more than a thought), and it will just slide right into gear. then get right back on the throttle.

A lot of times I will get a snag shifting from 5'th - 6'th using the clutch, unless I'm high in the revs, but it never does it when I'm shifting without the clutch ??

I was ALWAYS told to use the clutch while downshifting ?

For nice soft/slow shifts I'll clutch or two-finger esp two-up and city. On my own I tend to do things clutchless and feather it on the way down. Other = autoshift

Clutchless upshifting-next time you're out try this-

Use clutch to shift from 1-2, then accelerate normally and right before you reach shift point apply moderate pressure on shift lever-let off throttle maybe 1/8-1/4 inch and shift it! You'll be amazed how easy it is, after just a few times it is very easy to coordinate the no-off throttle and it is so smooth it feels like an automatic transmission! Key point for me was pre-loading the shift lever, when you roll off the throttle you feel it slip into gear and know exactly how far you have to let off for it to match. I shift this way at all times, whether riding easy or in anger. My guidelines:

Use clutch for 1-2 shift- way too many 2nd gear issues out there already, furthest travel across neutral.

Use clutch for downshifting at all times.

Try it and post back in here how it went!  
easybutton.png
hello.gif
i have used this method with all my bikes including my quads. currently have 7 quads..lol and none of them have tranny issues to date... the only one i dont do it with is the busa.. due to 2nd gear problems i purchased the bike used and been to lazy to take it in.. WILL MY EXTENDED WARRANTY COVER IT? lol i have had it for under a year.
deadhorse.gif

I don't use clutch on normal, In-town riding, it slips up and down smoothly, actually smoother without clutch. Never have forced a gear. Just blimp throttle a little and goes in smooth as butter.

TA, where is that thread? I'd like to read it because I think the way I shift is too hard on the tranny. I need to learn a new way of shifting I guess. I've already had to replace 4/6 gears when I first bought it and don't want to have to do it again.
Quick shifts are the ticket. You don't need to shift hard or aggressive...just a quick clutch jab and snick into the next gear at the same time (basically a compromise between a clutchless and clutch shift, you're just softening the shift a bit more is all). Slow, lazy shifts with a big, long clutch squeeze are whats hard on the tranny. Make a habit of quick efficient shifts and your tranny will thank you down the road  
winkold.gif

Clutchless shifting is easy to do....and smooth if done right. But if done wrong, and done alot, you'll have big probs in a short time
wowold.gif
I very rarely clutchless shift...and then just on dirt machines. I think you'll get more life out of a tranny shifting with the clutch, like above, than shifting without it, even if done right
winkold.gif
And I like to make stuff last a long time
laugh.gif

winkold.gif

If you really know your car or truck, you can do clutchless with them too.. Works cool..:):)
a lot easier on a big truck...straight cut gear boxes...

you run about 1000 shifts a day you get really good at it.. ( 4 to 8 shifts every time you accelerate a big rig)

After awhile you learn to speed shift an 18 by using the jake... can out shift most cars that way

whistling.gif

Back