Shifting Gears

G

I noticed that when I do a "normal" (low speed) shift from 1st to 2nd, the shifting is smooth with almost no backlash. However when you have a mighty launch on 1st gear then shift to 2nd, the bike's speed diminishes abruptly, unless you whack open the throttle as soon as you release the clutch in 2nd gear, or if I shift from 1st to 3rd, skipping the 2nd gear. has anyone noticed this? Is it the Fuel Injection system? Also riding at very high speeds and closing the throttle to slow down, prior to shifting down, you can feel the power being cut off quite rapidly. Any comments?

I noticed the same thing when closing the throttle abruptly- seems as if someone slammed on the brakes. Suzuki told my dealer it has to do with overly-lean condition from the fuel mapping when idle speed is set at or below 1100 RPM. They recommended I set idle at 1200- seemed to help.

I too have the gear shifting problem. There seems to be a delay in picking up the drive on most of the changes usually in the lower gears and usually at lower revs. Its not run in yet.....does it get any better? The dealer says its not a particularly good gearbox but there's nothing wrong with it. Are they all the same? He can't get through to Suzuki in the UK, they must have a few problems! Is it the gearbox, the engine or the clutch?

There also seem to be false neutrals lurking between most gears, particularly 5th and 6th?

*****Update******
I've just read the "pink wire". As the shifting problem is mainly at low RPM and from gears 2 to 3 and 3 to 4....is this the solution????

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited 24 August 1999).]

Back