I'm ashamed to post this, but...

OK BT, let me get long-winded for a minute.  I know that I clown around and fugg with board members on just about anything I can sink my teeth into, but I'm gonna give you some real solid advice.  Now realize first that I'm no expert, but I have had some experiences and great advice from doctors that really helps.  What I'll do is list some "lifestyle" changes in a sort of "checklist" form so that you can decide if this is for you or not.  When I say "this #### really works..." please believe that it's almost gospel.

I'll start off with a little background info so that you can decipher if I'm full of shiite, or offering some solid advice.

Back in 1999, I decided to go on a diet and lose weight.  I was 6'5" and weighed 285lbs.  Now my build is very solid as I do have a lot of muscle mass.  No matter what experts say about the ideal weight for your height, the mass of muscle that I have makes my ideal weight a good ten to fifteen pounds over the so-called "optimal weight."  Anyway, here are some tried-and-true guidelines to help you lose weight.  Realize that some of these are common knowledge and you may already know, but just for shits and grins... OK?! (BTW, I lost 47lbs in under 3 months doing this...
biggrin.gif
)

1.  ALWAYS eat breakfast!  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it's what gets you metabolism going after a night of the body being at-rest.

2.  Keep fiber in your diet.  Studies have shown fiber to help keep your digestive system functioning properly and keeps you 'regular.'
wow.gif

3.  Try to maintain a count of your daily caloric and fat intake.  Depending on your weight and how much body fat you have will determine this.  What worked well for me is a 1500 calorie and 25 g of fat per day diet.   The more overweight you are, the less of these you will have.  The carb diets are entirely too restrictive and therefore those people tend to regain the weight they've already lost, and frequently gain more than when they originally started.

4.  DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!  (need I say more?
rock.gif
)

5.  Your dinner should be eaten no later than 7pm.  The reason being is that studies have shown that on the average, most people retire (go to sleep) around 10:00pm.  The three hours between that time, your metabolism is still working and will help digest your food and get rid of the unwanteds.

6.  Follow and maintain an exercise regimen.  Cardiovascular workouts should be 90% of your workout.  Weight training will actually add weight and will defeat the purpose of losing.  That 10% of exercise that consists of weight training should be moderate as to only keep the muscles toned.

7.  From a psychological standpoint, only weigh yourself ONCE PER WEEK!  People often have fluctuations in weight from day-to-day, and one pound here or there gives a false conception of how well you are doing.  By the same token, you should always weigh yourself on the same scale every time.  Whether a scale is calibrated correctly or not doesn't make a difference.  Even if the scale doesn't record your true weight, it WILL show an increase or loss.

8.  Use of a diuretic can help, but is not a necessity.  Diuretics help you flush the water from your system that the body doesn't naturally do.  

9.  Use of appetite suppressants can help, but is not a necessity.  When I speak of appetite suppressant, I'm talking of those that you can only get with a prescription.  One that comes to mind and was commonly used in the eighties by women who had just given birth is Adipex.  Adipex is a safe drug that's been around for a very long time.  Taken once daily, and approx. 30 min. or an hour before your meal, it will aid in suppressing your appetite and also is a metabolism stimulant.  Can get kind of expensive though.  A 30-day supply usually costs about 40 to 50 bucks.
wow.gif
sad.gif

10.  Stay away from fast foods and foods that are greasy. (need I say more?
rock.gif
)  Another serious and true method for weight loss is taking a sabbatical away from meat.  This is probably the hardest of all to do.  Keep in mind that I said "sabbatical."  Studies show that a meat-free diet works wonders.  Under this lifestyle change, you stay off of meat for 12 weeks.  The reason for it is ONLY to ween you off of meat.  And not to ween you off of meat for eternity... but to get you in a frame-of-mind that you don't have to eat meat at every meal.  It's mental, but it's healthy at the same time.

11.  And lastly, STAY STRONG!!!  It's gonna take a lot of will-power and intestinal fortitude, but if you stick with it, it WILL WORK!!
smile.gif

And if you want some tips on what to eat and some little tricks on how to enjoy some of the things that you like, just post up and I will throw a few things out there that may just help.

Brian

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105722672 -->

wow.gif

rock.gif

Poor Diablo, having to support all that weight....
smile.gif

I'm going to read those books you recommend, they sound pretty interesting.

I've been lifting weights for 30 years and I must have tried everything when it comes to nutrition, supplements and training methods. After all that time it mostly comes down to the good advice you've already received from other posters i.e. combine regular, low-impact cardio combined with weight training, good diet and plenty of water. Skip the supplements, you shouldn't need them if you eat right.

One thing I have learned regarding weight training that I will pass on is, don't spend hours in the gym pumping iron, you can get more benefit from high intensity, short duration/rep work.

But equally important is the amount of rest you get between workouts. If you don't give your body the opportunity to repair itself between workouts you risk overtraining. If you overtrain your whole body gets stressed and this can result in weight gain in the form of fat instead of muscle.

When I was younger I used to work in a gym and that gave me the opportunity to spend 2 hours, 4 to 5 days a week hitting the weights. I reached plateaus in my development that I couldn't overcome because my body never had time to fully recover. I felt burned out all the time, depressed, sore etc. Overtraining doesn't just affect your muscles, it affects your internal organs, your mental attitude, everything.

I've switched to a totally different approach with my weight training now that dramatically reduces the frequency but increases the intensity. I feel and look a lot better as a result.

So make sure you get plenty of rest, and treat sleep as part of your workout regimen.

Back