Fitness Talk

My wife is a licensed Clinical Dietician...except I have a hard time paying attention to her :poke:

Brother, you have it made! Sometimes though, people who know better than anyone else, find it difficult to follow their own wisdom.

Great advice and thanks for it Tom :bowdown:....Now how much would you charge to stay at my house for a month and whip this fat Ace in shape? :laugh:

..one of the best exercises in the world to lose weight...learn how to push yourself away from the dinner table....ha ha...

Now that is the truth! :thumbsup:

But what if you're eating in the living room, on the sofa, with your remote and cats, some comfort food and a glass of milk? :rofl:

Kidding, kidding...oh, I do that, but you know, yeah, stop eating so much. I get it :thumbsup:

Great Post! In my late teens and early 20s I use to live at the gym. Working out two or three times a day.

Then I started working full time and now I don't have the motivation to even step in a gym let alone workout.

However, I did loose a good amount of weight last year by counting calories and doing the things you mentioned here. I also started hiking and doing other cardio two or three times a week which really help boost my energy levels.

Thanks for the reminder that it is a lifestyle and not a temporary fix. :bowdown::thumbsup::beerchug:

But what if you're eating in the living room, on the sofa, with your remote and cats, some comfort food and a glass of milk? :rofl:

Kidding, kidding...oh, I do that, but you know, yeah, stop eating so much. I get it :thumbsup:

you dunk your oreo's too??? :rofl::rofl:
just kidding sorry couldnt resist...

I think I just had my "Eat anything you want day" again....

Great Post! In my late teens and early 20s I use to live at the gym. Working out two or three times a day.

Then I started working full time and now I don't have the motivation to even step in a gym let alone workout.

However, I did loose a good amount of weight last year by counting calories and doing the things you mentioned here. I also started hiking and doing other cardio two or three times a week which really help boost my energy levels.

Thanks for the reminder that it is a lifestyle and not a temporary fix. :bowdown::thumbsup::beerchug:

I know those beers there are a cheat meal, right?? :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Great advice and thanks for it Tom :bowdown:....Now how much would you charge to stay at my house for a month and whip this fat Ace in shape? :laugh:

Uhm, bring your workout gear to the bash, we will get started there!! :laugh:

I wonder how many calories a "brisk" ride on the Busa burns up...I know it get my heart pumping!

It seems my metabolism is really slow, I've been lifting and jogging on a 2 on 2 off schedule for the last year. Ive lost 25lbs and made some good gains but the weight loss is super slow for the amount of exercise I'm doing. I suspect diet, but i'm at least 200 to 400 calories deficit...what am I doing wrong?????

Great info, Tom!

I'm already dieting...and it's working! I've been on the see-food diet. ::9

I was like Michelle a year ago; dropping the weight and feeling good; I was down over 20 lbs...but then my diet kicked in.

I can go to Chipotle and finish the burrito (with extra rice, of course...I LOVE rice!)...and I'm still ready for more!

I just need to work on the portion size - but I love food too much :banghead:

Getting back into and losing the weight is what I am getting back into after having a really bad accident 3 years ago. i gained almost 60lbs when I couldn't go back to work for almost 5 months. Gotta get below 300lbs again!

Great post Tom! :agree:

Excercise, portion control and these words right here "Another important thing to do if you are able is to split up the traditional 3 meals per day into 5 or 6 smaller meals. This serves to keep your metabolic machinery working and keep your brain from thinking it is a starvation mode (which makes your biological machinery work to store fat).".....will get even the most skeptical person on the right track to feeling good & looking better :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Great post Jet Li, many thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I also watch what I eat all week especially on workout days, and treat my self for a "bad meal" once a week (or twice :laugh:)
been doing all sorts of sports for 16 years now, minimum 4 days a week, and resting for 3 coz resting after workout is just as important.
I like to work on all the physical fitness components, which are five;
1- cardiovascular fitness
2- muscular strength
3- muscular endurance
4- flexibilty
5- speed

It seems my metabolism is really slow, I've been lifting and jogging on a 2 on 2 off schedule for the last year. Ive lost 25lbs and made some good gains but the weight loss is super slow for the amount of exercise I'm doing. I suspect diet, but i'm at least 200 to 400 calories deficit...what am I doing wrong?????

Wow! That sounds confusing! If you are at that much of a caloric deficit, you should be wasting away! LOL. What are your carb sources? Keep good carb sources in your diet such as sweet potatoes, yams, brown rice, wild rice, and oats. Reserve sugary carbs like fruit to one serving a day because anything high in sugar or with a high glycemic index(another talk all together) will spike your insulin levels and that tells your body to hold onto fat like the world is gonna end!

Also, are you able to eat more often, or are you already doing that. Lastly, are you restricting your carbs to very low? If so, you will cause your thyroid to greatly reduce its function because it thinks you are in starvation mode. So if this is the case, simply throw in a really tastey cheat meal once to twice a week to kick the thyroid function up.

What is your heart rate like when you run, are you keeping it in a lower range, which tends to cause your body to utilize fat storage for energy? Go here for a calculator to determine your target heart rate for losing weight, to getting very fit!!

calculate target heart rate training - heart rate during exercise calculator

Another idea is to do your running on an empty stomach thereby forcing your body to reach into fat stores sooner in your aerobic activity.

Interval training is another great way to target weight loss, and this may be key for you since it sounds like you have hit a plateau. Simply walk, jog, and sprint at intervals. Whatever is easiest for you I recommend starting with 30 seconds if you can hold out on the sprint for that long, if not just trim the time down. Do this for the total of your aerobic workout! Just might get your metabolism kicked in again.

Great post Jet Li, many thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I also watch what I eat all week especially on workout days, and treat my self for a "bad meal" once a week (or twice :laugh:)
been doing all sorts of sports for 16 years now, minimum 4 days a week, and resting for 3 coz resting after workout is just as important.
I like to work on all the physical fitness components, which are five;
1- cardiovascular fitness
2- muscular strength
3- muscular endurance
4- flexibilty
5- speed

Yeah, Man! Good info there, and number 4 is my bane!! I put far less into stretching than I should, So thanks for reminding me!

Stay active like your are now, Bro and keep getting that rest. Sounds like you are on the path, Grasshopper! :thumbsup:

Getting back into and losing the weight is what I am getting back into after having a really bad accident 3 years ago. i gained almost 60lbs when I couldn't go back to work for almost 5 months. Gotta get below 300lbs again!

Sorry to hear bout your accident. But just make a commitment to yourself and get to where you want to be and please keep us posted on your progress. I really am interested to hear about your success!! :thumbsup:

Great info, Tom!

I'm already dieting...and it's working! I've been on the see-food diet. ::9

I was like Michelle a year ago; dropping the weight and feeling good; I was down over 20 lbs...but then my diet kicked in.

I can go to Chipotle and finish the burrito (with extra rice, of course...I LOVE rice!)...and I'm still ready for more!

I just need to work on the portion size - but I love food too much :banghead:

Man, I live on rice (wild rice that is).

Regarding the burito statement. You know, and this purely speculation :laugh:, I bet 90% of Americans are walking around with a stretched stomach. And that bring up a VERY key point. Your stomach has receptors that sense stretch! And it is these sensors that signal the brain, when they detect a certain amount of stretch, which in turn gives you that feeling of saeity, that feeling of fullness. Luckily for us, the stomach is also able to shrink back to it's normal and intended size by simply not overeating. So, after time, if you can reduce portion sizes and not eat till ya feel like you are gonna (bust), then you will eventually require smaller and smaller portions to feel full.

Back