Fitness Talk

Hey Tom, just wanted to let you know I did 4 sets of 10 Jack knife exercises and 4 sets of squats yesterday.....thanks for the motivation, I can sure feel it this morning :laugh:

Now for my question. As far as exercising goes Should I break up my days and work on specific targets? For example: do toning one day then cardio the next? And what about stretching? Should that be done every day that you work out?
Is Yoga considered a good exercise for stretching? I like yoga so I hope so:laugh:

I can't wait to pick your brain at the bash!

Hey Tom, just wanted to let you know I did 4 sets of 10 Jack knife exercises and 4 sets of squats yesterday.....thanks for the motivation, I can sure feel it this morning :laugh:

Now for my question. As far as exercising goes Should I break up my days and work on specific targets? For example: do toning one day then cardio the next? And what about stretching? Should that be done every day that you work out?
Is Yoga considered a good exercise for stretching? I like yoga so I hope so:laugh:

I can't wait to pick your brain at the bash!

Ha Ha! Just embrace the pain, it is your friend!! :laugh:

For your goals, I would actually suggest doing your toning routine and then hitting the cardio immediately after. The reason is simple, you should have used up most if not all of your blood glucose at the end or near the end of your toning routine, so doing cardio immediately after will force your body to utilize fat stores more readily to perform the cardio exercise. Try doing this every other day to start.

Yes, stretching is very important and should be done before and during your exercises!

Yoga is excellent for stretching and even more excellent for hitting your core muscles, muscles of posture, getting rid of low back pain and getting those rock hard abs so many wish for!!!

Ha Ha! Just embrace the pain, it is your friend!! :laugh:

For your goals, I would actually suggest doing your toning routine and then hitting the cardio immediately after. The reason is simple, you should have used up most if not all of your blood glucose at the end or near the end of your toning routine, so doing cardio immediately after will force your body to utilize fat stores more readily to perform the cardio exercise. Try doing this every other day to start.

Yes, stretching is very important and should be done before and during your exercises!

Yoga is excellent for stretching and even more excellent for hitting your core muscles, muscles of posture, getting rid of low back pain and getting those rock hard abs so many wish for!!!

Good point about the cardio after the toning. Thanks for all the info!:thumbsup:

How do I find a personal trainer/ A.K.A butt whipper? Around here they all seem to be affiliated with gyms and don't work outside of a gym.

How do I find a personal trainer/ A.K.A butt whipper? Around here they all seem to be affiliated with gyms and don't work outside of a gym.

There are lots of personal trainers in gyms for sure, but I have found very few really know what they are doing. Take Golds Gym for instance, all you have to do to be a personal trainer there is take a weekend class they offer right there at the gym!!

I would start by looking in the yellow pages. Even ask around the gym if anyone knows a credible trainer. ACE and ASCM certified trainers would be the ones I trust. Even still, you can get these certs. via the internet nowadays. I really am old school and put lots of stock in classroom instruction.

But in the end, if you follow a trainers directions but still do not see results, then you do not have to stick with them. Whomever you choose should address all aspects of fitness, big #1 being what you eat, endurance, workouts, recovery time, stretching, muscle strength, body composition, aerobic capacity.....

Good information again JetLi :thumbsup:

As for stretching, I take it very seriously, having done martial arts for years and knowing how long a muscle can take to heal after an injury during workout I normaly stretch before and after a workout especially when doing weights, and in between sets sometimes, Im sure you know enough about flexbility/stretching but I'll explain it simply for those who dont,
Flexibility is range of movement and ability to move a part of the body through a wide range of movements, lack of flexibility leads to poor performance, strains, and muscle tissue injury. also (blodeonebusa) that sourness that you felt after workout is lactic acid which is a waste product and can be gotten rid off with some stretching.
I usually stretch all muscles after warm-up (before work out) by stretching/holding each muscle for about 8 seconds, and doing the same after workout but this time stretchin/holding each muscle for 15-20seconds, as for injured muscles or muscles that do not get used alot in the daily movements such as the adductors (inner thigh) or hamstrings (back of the thigh) they should be stretched for 30 seconds and can be done 2-3 times.

and for those who need motivation to work-out get a shuffle and put on your baddest music :laugh: also istead of watching cooking programs and all that food stuff on TV, watch your favourite sports is a good way to make you feel like hitting the gym :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good stuff to know, thanks for the information themoniator.

Now let me ask this.....I had surgery on my neck 10 yrs ago. I had 2 fusions done due to a ruptured and a herniated disk. I had lost the use of my right tricep for about 3 months because of the nerves being compressed ( that's what the doctor told me anyway). Even after all this time that muscle is sore to the touch. I've regained most of the strength back but I don't think it's as strong as it once was. What would be a good exercise to stretch that muscle out? I've been doing one arm triceps extensions with a 3lb weight. I can do that easily but should I try more weight or a different exercise? I don't think the soreness will ever go away but maybe I can lesson it by doing something different?

Good stuff to know, thanks for the information themoniator.

Now let me ask this.....I had surgery on my neck 10 yrs ago. I had 2 fusions done due to a ruptured and a herniated disk. I had lost the use of my right tricep for about 3 months because of the nerves being compressed ( that's what the doctor told me anyway). Even after all this time that muscle is sore to the touch. I've regained most of the strength back but I don't think it's as strong as it once was. What would be a good exercise to stretch that muscle out? I've been doing one arm triceps extensions with a 3lb weight. I can do that easily but should I try more weight or a different exercise? I don't think the soreness will ever go away but maybe I can lesson it by doing something different?

Yeah, it is not uncommon to have some residual sensory nerve damage or even worse motor nerve damage after a nerve is injured or compressed too long or too severely. After 10 years, I would say you are pretty much where you are gonna be with regards to this neurologic symptom (paresthesia).

As far as triceps exercises, you could try something called dips, (face away from a chair (firm seat not padded) and place your palms on the edge of the seat with your fingers gripping around the front and on the underside of the seat. Slowly let your elbows bend so that your body lowers towards the floor maintaining strict control at all times. At the bottom most point you feel comfortable with, slowly and deliberately push yourself back up concentrating your thoughts on the triceps muscles, and really squeeze them when you return back to the top starting position.

You could also try push ups with your hands about 6" apart or even closer depending on how comfortable you are.

Another variation you may try is to lay on the floor with your weights in hand straight up over your chest, then just bend your elbows back towards the sides of your head, when the you reach the area around your ears push the weights back up! And as always use strict form and concentrate on the muscle being worked.

One more, triceps kickbacks. Bend at the waist, with dumbbell in hand, pull your arm up so that your upper arm is parallel to the ground and your forearm is hanging straight down, then "kick the weight back" by extending your forearm backwards as you flex your triceps. Then , return to starting position. You can see how to do these if you look at the link I provided earlier.

You can always try more weight if the current weight you use is not challenging enough, so you have to be the judge. But if you start using 40lbs, don't get mad at me when your triceps start getting HUGE!!! :laugh:

There are lots more, but maybe you can try these to get started! :thumbsup:

Thank you for this thread Jet Li!

I am currently in process of getting myself back into a more physically fit shape. I have allowed school and work to take up too much of my energy and am now re-arranging my lifestyle a lot.

This is motivational.

For cardio what do you do? I saw that you mentioned a bad knee, which I also have some bad knees, so I am curious what you do instead of running. I am looking for options that will keep my interest :whistle:

Thank you for this thread Jet Li!

I am currently in process of getting myself back into a more physically fit shape. I have allowed school and work to take up too much of my energy and am now re-arranging my lifestyle a lot.

This is motivational.

For cardio what do you do? I saw that you mentioned a bad knee, which I also have some bad knees, so I am curious what you do instead of running. I am looking for options that will keep my interest :whistle:

Well school and work and well, life, really have a way of getting us all. You just have to say, "I am gonna set this amount of time, at this time of day for me to keep myself fit." And just do that, you gotta be selfish about it. In the end, it does benefit others, not just you, to be fit.

Biking is great for us because it is low impact on our joints and you get to go somewhere when you do it, so not as boring as a stationary bike or treadmill.

when I really want to burn some serious fat though, I opt for a stair mill. Set it on the fat burning program (which is really just interval training!!) and go for 40 minutes. It never bothers my knee.

Swimming is another great one, but i sink like a stone so it is more of a study in survival for me!!! :laugh:

hang in there, Bro! You got this :thumbsup:

Last edited:
true that JetLi, I do feel selfish everytime I go to the gym afterwork.

jefferycarman try air walks or whatever its called, I run alot so runninng is the easiest cardio workout for me it would get realy boring rather than tiring without some music :laugh:, so I always do different cardio excersices, rowing machines, cycling whatever I can find

Well school and work and well, life, really have a way of getting us all. You just have to say, "I am gonna set this amount of time, at this time of day for me to keep myself fit." And just do that, you gotta be selfish about it. In the end, it does benefit others, not just you, to be fit.

Biking is great for us because it is low impact on our joints and you get to go somewhere when you do it, so not as boring as a stationary bike or treadmill.

when I really want to burn some serious fat though, I opt for a stair mill. Set it on the fat burning program (which is really just interval training!!) and go for 40 minutes. It never bothers my knee.

Swimming is another great one, but i sink like a stone so it is more of a study in survival for me!!! :laugh:

hang in there, Bro! You got this :thumbsup:

I am starting into it this week. My goal is to start setting aside a minimum 30 minutes for 3 days a week. One day will be just fun exercise/activity.

Biking is a great idea. I have always enjoyed it.

Thank you for pointing some of this out. I never realized that I had a lot of the knowledge I need, there just was not a connection between the head knowledge and the logic. The stomach stretching was something I knew, but had not connected with fitness and being healthy, although now that you put it in that light I went "duh".

This is a great thread, and a motivation to boot! :cheerleader:

true that JetLi, I do feel selfish everytime I go to the gym afterwork.

jefferycarman try air walks or whatever its called, I run alot so runninng is the easiest cardio workout for me it would get realy boring rather than tiring without some music :laugh:, so I always do different cardio excersices, rowing machines, cycling whatever I can find

Yeah, love rowing, but not at the gym. I like to go to the Blackwater hear where I live here. Do a 5 hour trip. My two dogs love that too, they feel real "tuff" on the front of the canoe!! LOL

I am starting into it this week. My goal is to start setting aside a minimum 30 minutes for 3 days a week. One day will be just fun exercise/activity.

Biking is a great idea. I have always enjoyed it.

Thank you for pointing some of this out. I never realized that I had a lot of the knowledge I need, there just was not a connection between the head knowledge and the logic. The stomach stretching was something I knew, but had not connected with fitness and being healthy, although now that you put it in that light I went "duh".

This is a great thread, and a motivation to boot! :cheerleader:

Hey Bro! Keep us posted on your progress then! Stay strong !

Jules,

Aren't you a high school teacher? Go talk to the football coach or wrestling coach. Your school probably has a workout room you can use also. All that aside there is nothing wrong with hitting an gym to find a good trainer. I know when I am paying for it I make myself use it.

Jules,

Aren't you a high school teacher? Go talk to the football coach or wrestling coach. Your school probably has a workout room you can use also. All that aside there is nothing wrong with hitting an gym to find a good trainer. I know when I am paying for it I make myself use it.

The football coach is useless. We do have one baseball coach that is into bodybuilding, but he says he isn't comfortable telling other people what to do. I've talked to the trainer here and he keeps telling me he'll come up with something for me... but that isn't what I need. I need personal, one on one motivation. When I do it on my own, I don't know what I am doing and then when I don't see results I give up. I'd love to have a Jillian Michaels in my face screaming at me and telling me I HAVE TO DO IT.

We have a weight room at school .. with no weights... *thanks Obama for the budget cuts in education*.

I usually don't do gyms because I never seem to go. I hate going in there by myself.

The football coach is useless. We do have one baseball coach that is into bodybuilding, but he says he isn't comfortable telling other people what to do. I've talked to the trainer here and he keeps telling me he'll come up with something for me... but that isn't what I need. I need personal, one on one motivation. When I do it on my own, I don't know what I am doing and then when I don't see results I give up. I'd love to have a Jillian Michaels in my face screaming at me and telling me I HAVE TO DO IT.

We have a weight room at school .. with no weights... *thanks Obama for the budget cuts in education*.

I usually don't do gyms because I never seem to go. I hate going in there by myself.

You gotta be kidding me, a weight room without weights!! That is ridiculous!!

How bout trying some training videos, not the same a someone right there screaming in your face, but maybe it may work??

Back