How do you protect yourself

Couldnt agree more about the "letting the nice LEO know that you are carrying" thing. Not doing so is a GREAT way to turn a simple traffic stop into (at best) a long delay. At worst...yeah, you can figure that one out on your own. If I get pulled over and have my gun ON me, i raise my hands and immediately tell the officer that I am carrying, and tell him EXACTLY where and what it is. If I'm in the car and its in the glove box, i would tell the officer where it is and what it is, because thats where i keep my registration. I would then allow the officer to do whatever he felt necessary to feel safe. Same deal with the bike. If i have a gun in the hump, im going to get off the bike slowly, let him know what it is, where it is, then hand him the key to my bike to allow HIM to get my registration out, and do whatever he feels is necessary to ensure his safety.

if a normal citizen shoots and kills an unarmed man in the street they are probably going to prison. it does not matter if they insulted u, struck you, pushed u, or whatever. if you are sitting on a motorcycle then u just need to take off. keep an out at all times. make sure noone is following u. just try your best to stay out of bad situations. and if you pay x dollars a month for full coverage u may as well use it vs. killing someone trying to ask u directions or whatever

Respectfully, I think that if the need arises to produce a handgun and use it, we are way past the realm of "an innocent person trying to ask directions". My training both in the Marine Corps and Law Enforcement is grounded in, "if you need to use your weapon, it will be to kill". I will only use it if my life or the life of an innocent 3rd person is at stake. If you're not clear about that, you probably shouldn't be carrying.
This isn't about a stolen Hayabusa, it's about meeting deadly force with deadly force. I want to be the one that walks away.
I've been on both sides of this situation (victim of armed men and reporting
police officer) and have a strong opinion about not being a victim.
Raydog

I was pulled over last week, at night, in my SUV by a cop for running a redlight. I did not run a redlight and from his position he couldnt see my traffic light. He admitted it and said that the green light on the road I was entering turned green slightly before I finished the turn. Needless to say, he let me go and no ticket. I was carrying and didnt tell him and didnt feel the need as I never exited the vehicle. Had I exited the vehicle I would have let him know I was carrying. I had my two great danes in the back (I pulled the middle seats so the dogs fit) and he was so afraid of them he never came close to my door or even asked to see my drivers license. Have to figure a way to carry a dog on the bike...ha !!

noone wants to be a victim. but if u can get away safely then u need to do so. it varies from state to state but in oklahoma if someone breaks into your home unarmed or with a knife and u shoot and do not kill the intruder he or she can sue u and will win in court. this is a fact.
now if the court can prove u were sitting on a busa, in full gear, and shoot someone unarmed i dont c anyone getting away with that unless u are trapped and your life is in danger (not your bike) again this varies state to state and all i know much about is jokelahoma :laugh:

I believe being prepaired for any senario is important; however,as a rider your best defense is to steer clear of trouble if you can by constantly scanning and feed back. Even if you are an accomplished martial artist,you are good with knives and guns, you are vulnerable by just being on the bike. You are limited in the use of angles and force. Do you want to drop your pretty bike to defend yourself and your bike? There is no easy answer. Don't leave out the use of your Hayabusa as a weapon to defend yourself.

I thought I was crazy, LOL I live in NY and I don't carry anything or worry about some one trying to knock me off and stealing my bike. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe being prepaired for any senario is important; however,as a rider your best defense is to steer clear of trouble if you can by constantly scanning and feed back. Even if you are an accomplished martial artist,you are good with knives and guns, you are vulnerable by just being on the bike. You are limited in the use of angles and force. Do you want to drop your pretty bike to defend yourself and your bike? There is no easy answer. Don't leave out the use of your Hayabusa as a weapon to defend yourself.

True enough! In the early 70s I got lost riding in SoCal and ended up in east L.A. after dark. At a redlight in a deserted section of (some) town with closed gas stations on every corner I saw what appeared to be a bunch of guys and motorcycles under the dark gas station island overhang to my right. In an instant all the figures were moving...towards me! Red light or not I gunned my 1970 CB750 and hauled azz out of there. In my mirrors I saw about a dozen guys standing near where I (used to be). Luckily, in the 70s, there were few bikes that could catch a 750 and being that those guys were probably outlaw biker types, riding low and slow Harleys, I didn't worry much about them coming after me. I did however NOT stop anywhere near a dark and deserted intersection until I got to where I was going. Oh, I had a S&W .38 snubby on me at the time and the thought of pulling it out never occured to me.

About that same time, my father stopped to help someone that acted like they needed help in the LA area. His keys were pulled out of the ignition of his VW bus, he was jerked out, and beat half to death. This was during the riots of that time. Without making racial comments, you all can make your assumptions of what race performed the deed. I was about 1 so that would be in the same time frame. Fortunately I am much larger than my father and not subject to too much discord.

Bike night with Dad.jpg

CC permits are tricky to get in NY, at least for me, so I always have a knife or 3 on me. Not as goos as a pistol but better than nothing. Tried carrying the M4 but that didnt work out:laugh:

Couldnt agree more about the "letting the nice LEO know that you are carrying" thing. Not doing so is a GREAT way to turn a simple traffic stop into (at best) a long delay. At worst...yeah, you can figure that one out on your own. If I get pulled over and have my gun ON me, i raise my hands and immediately tell the officer that I am carrying, and tell him EXACTLY where and what it is. If I'm in the car and its in the glove box, i would tell the officer where it is and what it is, because thats where i keep my registration. I would then allow the officer to do whatever he felt necessary to feel safe. Same deal with the bike. If i have a gun in the hump, im going to get off the bike slowly, let him know what it is, where it is, then hand him the key to my bike to allow HIM to get my registration out, and do whatever he feels is necessary to ensure his safety.

:thumbsup: for not getting shot by accident:laugh:

well im not thinking it would be accidental discharge of the officer's weapon....

but you are exactly right, fastfrog.

I thought I was crazy, LOL I live in NY and I don't carry anything or worry about some one trying to knock me off and stealing my bike. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Too many people think that harm won't come to them or their posessions. it is these same people who ask the Police '' Why me Officer?" To that I say ''why not you.'' Bad things happen to good people all the time. On a good note if you are taken down or off your bike. Keep your visor down and leave your gloves on. I hope it never happens to any one but being forwarned is better than the alternative.

i guy at work told me he used to carry a length of chain on his tank to slap across hoods, he said he's done it before, but my Busa comes with a body guard and security system

ME !!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a CCW and always carry a 357 mag. However, in Missouri you arent allowed to shoot someone to defend property. You can defend yourself though.

If he hits you an knocks you down you can always put a bullet in him an carry a knife also just toss it the street next to or close to his body remember to wipe it clean before u do. Thats the way the cops do it here Miami PD :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The officers are standing trial on conspiracy and corruption charges for their roles in several police shootings in the 1990's. They are accused of planting guns at crime scenes or on suspects, shooting unarmed suspects and giving false statements to cover up their actions. Many were members of an elite police street team, the Jump Out Boys, which operated in tough neighborhoods but has since been disbanded.

The seven officers whose cases have been decided will have to wait to learn their fates. The presiding judge, Alan S. Gold of Federal District Court, ordered the jury back into deliberations and said the verdicts of all the defendants would be announced simultaneously.

Partial Verdicts in Miami In Police Corruption Trial - The New York Times
It should be a little easier for a private citizens, these guys did it everyday for a living you can only get away with it so many times:laugh:

This is NOT a cop bashing reply I do appreciate our LEO's an thank you the good guys you know who you are for what you do:beerchug:

A friend of mine who is a police officer gave me a GREAT tip on the "killing the intruder in your home" thing, which i use.

I keep an old 12 gauge by the door that you couldnt miss if you broke into our house and were on the way to the back bedrooms. It's not loaded and even if it was it wouldnt fire. :laugh:

The statement goes a little bit like this:

"well officer, i saw a figure in my bedroom door with what appeared to be a shotgun in his hands, so i fired..."

Sombody would have to be pretty fast and strong to knock me off the bike and pick 500lbs up and take off.

How do I protect myself??????????????

Trojans man! Extra LAAARRRGE Trojans! :beerchug:

:cheerleader:

Back