Zx-14 info thread "sportriders 1st ride"

We don't get the ABS because it's designed for Europe where it's marketed as a Sport Tourer
wow.gif
. They're dropping the ZZR1200 so, the 14 is its replacement. One mag (don't remember which) Muzzy states that the 14 is better in some ways than the Busa, and not as good as it in other areas (speaking about the engine). He also mentioned that it would make a great ST bike
rock.gif
. So I guess that's what their looking at, a Busa beater in the US and a ST in Europe
wink.gif

Because the cylinders can't be enlarged (acording to Muzzy), I guess that will kill it in the AMA ProStar drag bike class where the Suzuki's shine  
idea.gif
Where did muzzy say this?  I have been trying to find out things like cylinder spacing and such for a while and it's like it's top secret information or something...
Motorcyclist page 76 , Muzzy says, " As a pure baseline drag racing engine, there are some disadvantages. The first one is that the cylinder and crankcase are all one piece, so you're somewhat limited as to how big you're going  to make it, ". Then he says, "you're going to stay at 1500 cc or below". So  the Engine can only be enlarged by 148 cc, which in drag racing it NOTHING !

I just read on a zx14 site where one of the new zx14 owners dyno'd the bike and got 161 rwhp.  With a PC and tune they are looking at 5 more HP.  That sounds kind of low.  I am waiting to see what others say about that.

Here is what I read exactly:
FYI, info you have been waiting for!!! So with a high flow air filter, and a good exhaust, things should be very good!!!

Greg,

Finally got a ZX14 in here!! The bike is going to require a different harness than we currently have so it will be about 4-6 weeks before we start delivering them. I will get a hand built unit made up and sent to you next week.

We saw 161 stock and 167 with the PCIII, just FYI.

Dynojet Research
and those numbers are just about exactly what i sorta expected...as it always seems with most "Big Debut" bikes kaw (and sometimes even yami on certain occassions) like to release real high numbers in the early going justa get everyboday all excited and whatnot but..they never seem to spec wether those early release "rumor numbers" are at the crank or rwhp....as the masses drool in anticipation right up untilllll.....the first "Real Consumer" puts one on a dyno...truth serum in a rolling drum. LOL!!!

Still?..respectable numbers for a 52cc advantage but also still..."Lackluster"...with respect to all the hype which preceded it's "REAL" release....nuth'in stunning...will barely edge out the busa stock for stock....bottom line?...we're looking at the power of a slightly breathed on busa all dressed up in kawhide, hype and....

a whole lotta UGLY!!!
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

That's the impression I'm get'in anyways and..L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bill, Rickey Gadson said that the ZX-14 is very mildly tuned from the factory. Kawasaki dropped the compression fron 12.7 to 1 to 12.0 to 1. He said it has small cams and small ports in the head. It also has small throttle bodies.
I might be wrong, but I think Kawasaki is waiting for the 07 Busa to come out to see what it'll do and then they might unleash the full potential of the 14. It has to be tough nowdays for the manufacturers to meet EPA standards and still give bikes big horsepower numbers. I have heard Kawasaki says they already have an answer for the "new" Busa. But, how reliable will it be?

We don't get the ABS because it's designed for Europe where it's marketed as a Sport Tourer
wow.gif
. They're dropping the ZZR1200 so, the 14 is its replacement. One mag (don't remember which) Muzzy states that the 14 is better in some ways than the Busa, and not as good as it in other areas (speaking about the engine). He also mentioned that it would make a great ST bike
rock.gif
. So I guess that's what their looking at, a Busa beater in the US and a ST in Europe
wink.gif

Because the cylinders can't be enlarged (acording to Muzzy), I guess that will kill it in the AMA ProStar drag bike class where the Suzuki's shine  
idea.gif
That was Motorcyclist.

I took a 14 for a demo ride in Daytona in march. It was a great ride, Kawasaki were the only manufacturer there that were not uptight about their demo rides. We blatantly ignored speed limits and went well up into triple digit speeds around several nice sweeping curves. I am not a kawasaki fan, but the only bad thing I can say about the 14 is that, for my tastes it is BUTT UGLY. Ergonomically it felt pretty much the same as my Busa, except that the seat was more comfortable. It handled well in all respects, at least as well as the Busa. The brakes were great. The engine was awesome. I did get the impression that the Busa was a little better at the very bottom, but not by much, and just like the Busa the power just keeps coming on hard and fast like you are about to launch into orbit. I can say that it was noticably easier to float the front tire off the ground on the 14 than on my Busa. I could care less about the ZX - Busa feud. The results of a race between me and my Busa and a ZX14 are much more likely to be decided by the riders, or chance, than the bikes. I think the new 14 is a great bike. I think my Busa is a great bike too, and for my tastes it is the bike that I like best. Opinions may vary.

Bill, Rickey Gadson said that the ZX-14 is very mildly tuned from the factory. Kawasaki dropped the compression fron 12.7 to 1 to 12.0 to 1. He said it has small cams and small ports in the head. It also has small throttle bodies.
I might be wrong, but I think Kawasaki is waiting for the 07 Busa to come out to see what it'll do and then they might unleash the full potential of the 14. It has to be tough nowdays for the manufacturers to meet EPA standards and still give bikes big horsepower numbers.  I have heard Kawasaki says they already have an answer for the "new" Busa. But, how reliable will it be?
hey mokaw...it's becoming glarringly apparent that the new big kaw is a damn good bike...and so far?...it looks like kaw has a winner on their hands...but i also think the busa will retain certain advantages in certain venues..as will the new big kaw as they will both have strengths and weaknesses..also know that I wouldn't jump on the first year '07 Hyper-Busa bandwagon either as my current busa has proven to meet my needs and exceed my skills in every respect...so I'm perfectly content to hang onto it and let it remain "having my respect"
laugh.gif

I like all "noteworthy" bikes...and as far as the new kaw goes?...I not only welcome but am excited to have the fresh competition...it should make for a stellar year!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back