Zx-14 info thread "sportriders 1st ride"

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
First off?...lemme start out by saying..I'm not "haunted by" nor am I in the least bit attracted to the ZX-14...intrigued?...yes..distracted from from busa?...he11 no!
laugh.gif

but anyways..on with the story...

Did the usual last night...family night...took'em out to dinner and then hit blockbusters for movies and winn dixie for grub,snacks and such...which also has an extensive magazine rack...where I figured that I might luck out and catch a copy of the "Busa Edition" cycleworld rag captains mentioned in another post (thanks cap)....anyways...they didn't have it...but they did have the latest SportRider rag with a red zx-14 and a bold caption titled.."ZX-14 First Ride"...and me not being the sort to buy magazines on a regular basis?...I stood there in the isle and breezed over sportriders impressions of their 1st ride on a ZX-14...and here's the highpoints I gleened from those few minutes of reading....

1. Sportrider likes the ZX-14...(a lot)

2. However..Right up front they started out with something like...

"It would be difficult (if not impossible) to even write this review without mentioning the Suzuki Hayabusa....as suzuki's realease of the '99 Hayabusa rocked the MC industry and even took suzuki by surprise as they never anticipated just how many americans "just had to have the fastest" as for 7 years the busa has remained unchanged while top end  drag racers and custom bike builders alike flocked to the Hayabusa in hordes...."

and they made no bones about stating something like...

"It's no secret that kaw has (from the beginning) targeted thier new zx14 to BEST THE BUSA"

and that was cool reading.
biggrin.gif

3. Ergos: They said the ZX-14 was comfy...as while it's seat hiegth is only an inch lower than the zx12r it replaces however it's far narrower which makes the seat height seem far lower than it is.

4. Brakes: They loved the brakes...though abs versions are not available.

5. Suspension & Handling: They gave the zx14's suspension props for being "more range adjustable than the zx12" but then jaded the suspension for being a bit stiff and harsh...(Duh....welcome to motocycles from japan.
laugh.gif
).....but then went on to say that "the big dog could handle real well"...again....they liked it.

6. Frame: Is still a monoque style like the old 12r but with sustancial stiffening modifications and upgrades.

and now for the part ya'll've been wait'in fer....  

7. Engine Performance: Where they went on to reviewing by stating that the zx14's engine is no warmed over zx12r..and that it's all new and modeled more after the latest zx-10r rather than the 12r and thanks to it's dual counter-rotating balancers?....they claim the zx14 is smoother at high rev than the busa..and/but/however...

a. "While the ZX-14 seemed a bit huffy down low.."

b. "despite the imposed 186mph speed restriction up top the zx14 pulled like a frieght train..noticably harder than the busa."

again they liked it...end.

Now...after reading that article?..it appears to me that kaw has once again does what kaw usually does (except for their great ZRX naked class line which was "Tuned For Torque" )...but held true to form by tuning their new zx14 for top end...which does in fact make it "a bit huffy down low" as sportrider claims...now I owned a ZRX that was "tuned for torque"...and I loved that bike because the power was right where you most needed/wanted and could use it "IN THE STREETS"...and it appears that evidetly kaw once again failed to do that with their new ZX-14...and bet all to achieve one goal..."Beating The Busa"....well...in my book?...the mighty busa ain't beat yet...not in the streets anyways....a tough match?....yes...a hands down winner?..not in my streets...and I'm gonna lmao when my busa is yanking it's azz through the curves harder than the new "huffy down low" kaw zx-14.
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Hope you enjoyed the read and..L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146414727 -->

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I just recieved my latest Cycle World, and quite frankly I was dissapointed with the write-up. It was a very glossed over review of the 14. Nothing of real substance. I'm not sure what I expected.....but all they said was it is fast. Duh! They made a few comments about the Busa..but no direct comparisons. Nothing in this article is new news... It is all stuff we have already heard.

What I'd like to see is a real world comparison with todays Busa...side by side. They did mention also that it was strong on top, but (in so many words) soft on the bottom. I am sure that "soft" is a realative term as 1350cc's has got to be healthy down low even if it is tuned for top end power...

Guess I'll have to wait until I ride next to one myself...

I just recieved my latest Cycle World, and quite frankly I was dissapointed with the write-up.  It was a very glossed over review of the 14.  Nothing of real substance.  I'm not sure what I expected.....but all they said was it is fast.  Duh!  They made a few comments about the Busa..but no direct comparisons.  Nothing in this article is new news...  It is all stuff we have already heard.

What I'd like to see is a real world comparison with todays Busa...side by side.  They did mention also that it was strong on top, but (in so many words) soft on the bottom.  I am sure that "soft" is a realative term as 1350cc's has got to be healthy down low even if it is tuned for top end power...

Yep....I saw that article in CW myself and agree..

it had like zero substance.
rock.gif

I just recieved my latest Cycle World, and quite frankly I was dissapointed with the write-up.  It was a very glossed over review of the 14.  Nothing of real substance.  I'm not sure what I expected.....but all they said was it is fast.  Duh!  They made a few comments about the Busa..but no direct comparisons.  Nothing in this article is new news...  It is all stuff we have already heard.

What I'd like to see is a real world comparison with todays Busa...side by side.  They did mention also that it was strong on top, but (in so many words) soft on the bottom.  I am sure that "soft" is a realative term as 1350cc's has got to be healthy down low even if it is tuned for top end power...

Yep....I saw that article in CW myself and agree..

it had like zero substance.
rock.gif
+1

You said it best. Sportrider loves anything new. Good publicity reaps great rewards from the manufacturers. We all know that. Have you ever read a "first ride" report and found the editors bashing or mentioning any shortcomings of a new model?

For good feedback I would have to read what the Euro mags say or see it and ride in person. But thats just me.

Oh, and I was sold on the Euro mags back when they decided to toss all the manufacturer weight and power specs and actually tested the bikes for themselves, real world style.

You said it best. Sportrider loves anything new. Good publicity reaps great rewards from the manufacturers. We all know that. Have you ever read a "first ride" report and found the editors bashing or mentioning any shortcomings of a new model?
why yes...as a matter of fact I have read far more than several euro bikes where the editors reported far less than "Glowing 1st Ride Reviews"...to name a few?...

1. Just about all "Moto Guzzis"

2. About 33% of all "Triumphs" tested...usually fi or electrical or both.

3. Several BMW models that were...uhem..."less than expected".

4. Ducati's....(that fell short is some areas as compared to their asian competitors.)

But I agree...the euro rags do seem far less "Commercially Sensored" and far more forthwith.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

although it hardly ever happens to jap bikes but...

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146420992 -->

We don't get the ABS because it's designed for Europe where it's marketed as a Sport Tourer
wow.gif
. They're dropping the ZZR1200 so, the 14 is its replacement. One mag (don't remember which) Muzzy states that the 14 is better in some ways than the Busa, and not as good as it in other areas (speaking about the engine). He also mentioned that it would make a great ST bike
rock.gif
. So I guess that's what their looking at, a Busa beater in the US and a ST in Europe
wink.gif

Because the cylinders can't be enlarged (acording to Muzzy), I guess that will kill it in the AMA ProStar drag bike class where the Suzuki's shine  
idea.gif

A fellow v-max bud picked up one of Houston First 1400 this past wednesday and we met that night at a local bike night.
I took the 1400 up the street and back, nothing major as it only had about 50 miles on it.
my opinion is that it seems slightly more comfy than my busa and NO vibrations at all, real smooth.
BUT it is butt ugly. The speedo does about everything but make u dinner.
once it is broke in he wants to go to the track. thinks he can beat me in the 1/4 but io don't think he has ever been so will be a good way to embaress the new ninja fans
later

I own a ZX14 and have discovered that KHI has purposely setup the engine mapping as to substantially cut TQ/HP below 5k.  When the engine is cold however, they run a different engine map which causes the bike to pull way harder than the Busa, starting at very low RPM.  This was done deliberately to make the bike more manageable in the corners...less chance of kicking out the back wheel...in any case, it pulls much harder than the Busa at speeds over 6K and never stops either...it won't be long before someone figures out how to gain access to the ECM and change the mapping to remove all restrictions. Brakes will blow any bike away too, including litre bikes like the 10R R1 or Gixxer. KHI made a mistake limiting the engine below 5K, but one that can easily be corrected in time by the aftermarket. The cost will be small but the gains will be huge...at least its not mechanical...software is easy to fix and will be a cheap upgrade.

I sat on the 14 at the Kawi tent during AMA weekend in Fontana. It felt a little lighter than the Busa, narrower and I felt seated "on top" of the machine while the Busa feels like it "surrounds" you. The ergos felt like the rearsets were higher up so I felt like I was in a more of a "sportbike" positition.

Didnt get to hear it or let alone ride it so that was my main impression of the 14. I like my Busa more but that's prolly b/c I've ridden that crap outta her and I KNOW how she rides.

I love my bike.

Is it still cool to own a Busa??

Maybe i'll just get a moped.

We don't get the ABS because it's designed for Europe where it's marketed as a Sport Tourer
wow.gif
. They're dropping the ZZR1200 so, the 14 is its replacement. One mag (don't remember which) Muzzy states that the 14 is better in some ways than the Busa, and not as good as it in other areas (speaking about the engine). He also mentioned that it would make a great ST bike
rock.gif
. So I guess that's what their looking at, a Busa beater in the US and a ST in Europe
wink.gif

Because the cylinders can't be enlarged (acording to Muzzy), I guess that will kill it in the AMA ProStar drag bike class where the Suzuki's shine
idea.gif
Where did muzzy say this? I have been trying to find out things like cylinder spacing and such for a while and it's like it's top secret information or something...

I believe its in the test report "motorcyclist" did thats on the news stands currently...its in its own little section within the body of the "first ride report"....er I think as I dont have the mag with me right now!

I just read on a zx14 site where one of the new zx14 owners dyno'd the bike and got 161 rwhp.  With a PC and tune they are looking at 5 more HP.  That sounds kind of low.  I am waiting to see what others say about that.

Here is what I read exactly:
FYI, info you have been waiting for!!! So with a high flow air filter, and a good exhaust, things should be very good!!!

Greg,

Finally got a ZX14 in here!! The bike is going to require a different harness than we currently have so it will be about 4-6 weeks before we start delivering them. I will get a hand built unit made up and sent to you next week.

We saw 161 stock and 167 with the PCIII, just FYI.

Dynojet Research

<!--EDIT|Bruiserman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146701374 -->

Back