XM radio installed

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Here's a little write up of my XM radio installation for everyone. I put some pics together for you as well.

Here's a shopping list of what I bought to do this:

XM Roady2
extra ant. for the bike (only if you plan on installing in something else as well
wink.gif
)
direct wire power for bike
shielded headphone ext. cable

I'd recommend some wire loom and some zip ties as well.

I mounted my XM radio itself on a stem stand. I have considered many other places, but this is easy to access and put away when I park for extended times. Also is easy to move the radio up under the wind screen should it start to rain
cool.gif

I mounted the power module under the seat and also ran the plug, with slack for the headphones back under the rear seat... shown below. (note: there is probably ~2' of slack cable on my bike with the 6' cord)

hardwire.jpg

I snaked the power feed and audio cable under the tank and driver seat and then followed the clutch line up the side of the frame

wireroute.jpg

from there I snaked the wires up through the cable stay for the clutch lines and other electrical wires on the left side of the bars. I secured the lines with zip ties and went back with wire loom to protect the wires/make it look better

secureit.jpg

I wrapped the wire loom with black electrical tape to keep it secure and help prevent any friction tears.  Its a couple of layers of tape, wrapped pretty tightly so water won't get down in the loom.....though it stays plenty warm in that area so any excess water should evaporate easily.

Here is what it looks like all mounted up.  I acutally didnt get a pic of the install of the antenna, well cuz I couldnt find where I put the ones I took when I did it.... To mount the antenna, I got a piece of metal strapping, covered it with black electrical tape and then mounted it to the gauge frame under the front fairing.  I snaked the antenna wire back under the fairing, over the airtube down to the power and audio cable, then ran it up with those in the wire loom.  The antenna itself sits just below the windscreen and just above the gauge cluster.  I'll get some pics of it in a little bit.... though you will need to decide where you want to mount the thing, this was the most "stealth" location I could find.  It also works great for reception there
cool.gif
If you look above the clock, you can see the antenna
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|zukracer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132877180 -->

mountedxm.jpg

Awsome, thanks for the write up and pics. I think I will be stealing your ideas over the winter. What do you do for headphones? Ear buds or what? Where do you plug them in, I see your extension cable but where does it end? Great job!

GSX, I ran the ext. cable back under the rear seat/hump.  Look in the first pic, you can see the "female" end of the cable in the pic...the extra I just leave under the hump or whatever.  I guess you could go as far as getting a signal booster/splitter and hooking it up so you and the passenger can listen
rock.gif
 But I just pull it out under either the seat or hump and connect a set of ear bud headphones to it, usually right to the right side of my back.   Seems just to be easier for me to connect there being a righthanded person
wink.gif
but also because my jacket/pants zipper is in the middle of my back.  Works perfectly well as long as you make sure to get the shielded wire.

NJ, yeah those are rocketdoc gauge faces... fairly easy to install and I havent had any issues with them yet
cool.gif

PS I linked the power for the indiglo into the HID switch so they are only glowin when its dark or the HID is switched ON... I normally run with my HI beam during the day and cut the HID on for evening/overcast/night rides.

<!--EDIT|zukracer
Reason for Edit: "cuz I needed to"|1132914625 -->

NJ, I might have an extra set of the faces... .without the power module for the reverse indiglo, can't recall... wanna say the first set he sent me had the wrong hole location for the existing screws and I think I still have those.... I do recall something was wrong with the first set but RocketDoc got everything squared away PDQ
cool.gif

Looks good Brian. That should definitely make those long rides you take a little more enjoyable.

oh its fantastic for longer rides or commuting to work
cool.gif
I have to get anohter set of ear buds, mine broke
sad.gif
but its *cold* here now so i'm not in a huge rush
wink.gif

Nice write up and pics. I got the same unit and now I need to install it.

hi what type of helmet speakers did you use? does the xm unit work good for you? looking for a review on it.
thanks ranman

I use little ear bud headphones, work well. I just run the line down my back and plug up to the cord at the back of the seat. This XM unit works well, I can use the buttons pretty easily with gloves on and its got a nice 2 line display so you can see what you are listening to (artist/title). I have considered getting one of the newer models but this one fits all my needs so I really cant justify the upgrade. I use it in my truck, home, office and bike, plus I've taken it on road trips with friends since its got the built in FM transmitter, all I need is a power plug/antenna
cool.gif

I bought a real small FM radio and mounted to the back of my helmet. Installed my XM on the bike then put the speakers inside the helmet behind the earpads. Just tune the XM and FM to an open channel....your jammin' . It works real nice the radio is so small and light you really can't tell it's there and for there are no wires from you to the bike to tangle up.

Exelent job on install,I was going to do the same thing on my bike I do a lot of trips year round. I have a freind who is a mechanic for a suzuki dealer advised me not to or most likley i would end up with a burned up stator. does anyone know a way around this? im using a one gig mp3 player but xm would be nice

Back