XM Radio receivers

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
So, I'm thinking about getting an XM receiver...

I want one that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, doesn't have to be permanently mounted anywhere...

I'm also XM illiterate...so, any advice? Is the monthly fee reasonable for what you get? Blah blah blah

blush.gif

Michelle,

Hope this helps.  I don't know if you settled on XM over Sirius or not.  They are both the same price month by month, but each have different long term options to reduce the total cost.  I think the biggest factor is the programming.  They each have different exclusive content.

Sirius has NFL, NBA, NHL, Howard Stern, Martha Stewart among other things.  NASCAR is coming to Sirius in 2007.

XM has MLB, Indy Car, PGA, NASCAR (for now anyway), and E! among other things.

You can get a free 3 day trial to listen to them over the internet.  Try before you buy
smile.gif

Here are the links to the sites:
XM Radio
Sirius Radio

I have the Delphi Roady 2. I love it. Get an antenna for each vehicle, that way you don't have to fool with anything but the reciever itself. The cost is $36/quarter, you'll never even notice it. It's one of those "How did I get along without it before" type things. Makes long drives far more tolerable. The comedy channels rule!

Well, I hadn't even thought about the "special programming" like sports and comedy channel! I was just thinking "music"
biggrin.gif

So, how much does a basic receiver run? I've been looking and they're all over the map...most seem to be in the $100 range, but does that include any antennas, etc.?

I feel pretty stupid looking at this stuff...just don't have a clue!
blush.gif

Most of them do come with one antenna. You can buy extras though. I have the Sirius and I like it, but it will be better when they get nascar.
No need to feel stupid.......asking questions is not stupid at all. How else are ya gonna learn?!

Well, I usually learn by 'googling'
laugh.gif

But, this is over my head...so many options! I'm lost...

I'm still researching...
smile.gif
Oh my aching head...
tounge.gif

XM Comedy...channel 150
laugh.gif
***NWS***

I listen to 150 most of the time, but there's a lot of other stuff on there. I think it just boils down to which ever you like best...there's not really a bad choice from what I've heard.
cool.gif

As Mr. Brown said, the Delphi Roady 2 is great. Small and portable, much better than the original XM hardware I had back in the day. I'm sure I'll differ from Mr. Brown however when I say my favorite XM channels are 121 and 166. I guess that shows which way I usually lean.
laugh.gif

As Mr. Brown said, the Delphi Roady 2 is great.  Small and portable, much better than the original XM hardware I had back in the day.  I'm sure I'll differ from Mr. Brown however when I say my favorite XM channels are 121 and 166.  I guess that shows which way I usually lean.  
laugh.gif
Can you guys explain to me how you hook it up in the car? You have a receiver that feeds to your existing stereo system, then the "face plate" of the "radio" part can be moved around? Where do you guys mount the plate, if at all?

I know, stupid questions...see, this is Mike's territory and I'm trying to figure it out for him...his birthday's coming up...
blush.gif

i bought the myfi for $300 and love it. the myfi comes w/ a home antenna, car antenna, and you can use it as a walkman when working out. it also records 5 hours of music but only from one channel. i use it when i ride and just play the recorded station because it does cut out when playing live w/ out an antenna hooked on my bike. overall it is well worth it if you like music. beware of mountains and tall buildings. it will cut out here and now.

I have the Delphi Roady 2. I love it. Get an antenna for each vehicle, that way you don't have to fool with anything but the reciever itself. The cost is $36/quarter, you'll never even notice it. It's one of those "How did I get along without it before" type things. Makes long drives far more tolerable. The comedy channels rule!
I'm with Mr. Brown. I end up on Squizz or The Comedy Channel most of the time but I occasionally hit other stuff. I have the Roady 2 as well. WalMart has them for around $40 now I think. And getting an extra antenna will allow you to properly (externally) mount them for best reception. I had mine on the dash for a while before I mounted it on the roof. It worked most of the time, but dropped signal in some areas. The only time it drops signal now is when I'm under a canopy at a drive-thru or gas station or something like that.

Okay, what gives? Just $19?! I've never gotten off that cheap on anything for Mike! What am I missing here?

rock.gif
Linky to Crutchfield
That deal is SMOKIN' Michelle! Jump on it! I may get a second one at that price!
Brings up stupid question #387 from me...
tounge.gif

If you get TWO receivers, do you have to pay for two "subscriptions" to the service?
rock.gif
You have to activate both, yes, but if I'm not mistaken additional receivers might be discounted. I'd have to look through the website again to make sure. Could be wrong.

rock.gif

I'm thinking I'll order it too...BUT, please tell me BT!!! That kit includes everything I'd need to play it in my car, right? Minus the subscription?

rock.gif
rock.gif
wink.gif
blush.gif

rock.gif

Back