Wrecked coming home from the Stampede!

ashstudly

Registered
About 8:30 pm last night I was passing Wendover, NV on the way home from Reno. Temp by this time was actually cooling down significantly from the rest of the ride and I was really enjoying the fairly deserted roads. What a great weekend this had been with all of the amazing people that I met!!!

Now for the bad news:

I'm doing 80 MPH and moving into the left lane to pass a semi. All of a sudden a 2 foot long 4X4 jumps out (didn't see if it came from off the truck or if he flipped it up. As I start to swerve to miss it another one came out as well and I did have time to swerve nor did I want to as it was clear I wasn't going to dodge it and I didn't want to go into it while turning. Dirt bike experience kicked in. I got my butt off the seat and got ready for the impact (All of this happened in a second or less.) I hit it and went airborne for a bit. It was obvious that both tires were blown and I was all over the road. Took some muscle to wrestle it around while I slowed down using very little break of course.

I put the kick stand down to get off the bike so I can survey the damage. Unfortunately with both tires blown, it won't lean over and I have to just hold it. Front rim was crushed in about 2 inches with a crack going across the wheel. Back crushed in as well. Both tires flat although they don't look damaged. Luckily I was just a couple yards past the on ramp, so I turned the bike around which was not easy at all and limped it down the wrong way of the interstate and parked it in Montego Bay. I'll post pics later.

I have a buddy helping me trailer it home today. All in it was a real close one. Now I have to find some new wheels!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yikes! Hate to hear it but I'm so glad you're OK...very close one indeed...

Sucks bro, but I am glad you saved it from going down and you came through it unhurt. I am sure some wheels will turn up pretty quick.

Thank GOD you're ok....so ok you got the merit badge now:laugh:

Bryan, geeze, that was a close one! An event THAT intense, without personal injury, is a victory. I hope your insurance takes away most of the financial pain! Keep us updated.
Doyle

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaH Brian! :(

Glad U didnt go down. I'm sure we can find you some affordable stock wheels some place but you better have everything checked. Forks, frame ...

That musta been "some" girl in Reno ... :poke:

Let me know what the damage report is and I'll help you look for parts. - K

that 4x4 could have impaled you , you are one lucky sob, now go buy a lotto ticket asap because today is your luckiest day ever...glad you wrestled it to a stop safely
:thumbsup:

oh and you can bet that 4x4 came from the truck, they use them to jack up the trailers to hook/unhook them as well as for getting their loads off the bed of the trailers so fork lifts can get under them...if you knew which truck you could prove it came from he would be responsible for your repairs...

glad you were able to come out of that only needing a couple wheels :beerchug:

Ohhhh wow! Thank God you're OK! And here I was just telling the wife that there was no Stampede incidents that I was aware of!
It's obvious your dirt bike background saved your bacon, would have been a lot worse for a less experienced rider, I'm sure.

I was just thinking what kind of hand signals you would have made to me if you were there for the excitement! LOL :poke:

But I think this doesn't count as far as a Busa incident. I believe what we really learned here is that I should have stayed and rode with the guys another day!

Hell of an experience I'm sure! Nice job keeping her upright! Like others have said...this could have gone much worse. But we don't need to tell you that.

Glad your ok.

Dude, that is some awesome riding! So happy you had the skills to handle it and came out unscathed. Hopefully insurance will hook you up with some nice replacement wheels.

See you in September!

I know that has to be frustrating after such a good weekend! Sorry to hear about it and glad nothing worse happened.

WOW that's scary stuff, I am amazed you stayed up!!! way to go, must have been 1 helluva experience for ya...glad your ok

Back