Would you pass another biker in her or his own lane?

Would you pass a fellow rider in his/her own lane

• no

Votes: 128 27.1%
  • yes

Votes: 47 9.9%
  • yes only if he knew I was there an waved me by

Votes: 255 53.9%
  • yes only on straights

Votes: 29 6.1%
  • yes only if he is taking too slow for me

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Would you pass another biker in his own lane whether it's a turn or straight away???
This is a question about riding habits....

I did a search an did not see a poll on it. Laws vary from state to state about it an in some circles it's understood that slower riders should leave room for faster bikes to past them. I try to stay as far away from those kinda circles as possible :poke: I personally think that belongs on track so it's very unlikely I will ever attend any Bash or any other event at the Dragon :laugh: This is just for me personally an I know I am missing out on a great time just we don't all share the same attitude towards riding in the streets and I tend to ride with the people who share mine..:thumbsup:

Ride your ride as it pleases you I am looking for feedback on how others ride, don't want to see people judging or ragging on others on how they ride their rides.

I will pass when it's safe to do so and the other rider has clearly signaled for me to do so. Otherwise, I would not, and I'd be pissed if someone did it to me.

I have done it only when the rider ahead of me waves me bye and only if they move to the right. If I'm not part of a group ahead of me I stay at least 3 seconds behind them until it's safe to pass like you would a car. :beerchug:

generally I would only do it when the other rider knows I'm there and waves me past. I have however passed when the other rider intentionally rides slow and irregularly (weaving in the lane, etc) to keep me from passing or just being an ass. I wont pass in the same lane in those cases, I will cross the line and pass them quite quickly to eliminate their ability to do something stupid....and only on a straight. Passing in a turn is just asking for problems 99.99% of the time.

A bike has the same rights to a full lane as a car. I respect that and will only pass in the passing lane when it's safe to so do. Even if they wave me on.

I only pass when it's safe and the other rider waves me past. I'm always worried that I may freak out the rider or cut his or her line and cause an accident better safe and courteous than deadly :beerchug:

I think that safety is KEY!!! First and foremost! Not Ego!

So with that said, I have had a Class A TNX endorsement for over 20 years and have accumulated more miles that I know what to do with on all types of roads in all types of conditions. Granted a large double trailer isn't like a motorcycle in the respect we are talking about here, but in a sense, it is. When someone comes up my right side to pass they are more likely to NOT be seen in my right mirror than to be seen and acknowledged and pass with respect on my left.

When I am riding and I come up to another rider, I immediately assess which side of the center line he is traveling and determine if he can see me. If he is right in the lane, I go to the left of center, left, I go right. And with respect, I fall back a bit to not crowd him/her to "feel the pulse" of everything. And then with the right timing and judgment I will quickly flash my brights and indicate the pass with one or two gears down and safely pass.

I would like the same from others, but it can't always be so. But I figure that if one or more of us set a better example, we can only spread the word to others.

The safe and methodical rider may arrive a little later. A faster more impatient rider flirts with the odds and sometimes doesn't make it.

Last edited:
Additionally; I will add that taking on the risk of "knowing" or acting like you know that rider enough to occupy his same space is incredibly presumptive! I don't know them from Adam!

Unless we were moving at crawling speed in stop and go and we were able to gain eye contact with direct helmet movement towards each other,,, forget it! I'll find another way to get round this rider, frustrated or not. I mean, who knows, someone next to him could swipe him and cause him to come into me,,, then we have a totally different day all together for what?,,, a bit of frustration and impatience,,, Nah! I don't play with my life that way!

I've been down the pavement on my back,,, with leathers no less,, AND,, my memory serves me damn well on that! That ain't no fun`tall!

It's a potentially dangerous pass and does not always present itself the same way. I prefer that the other rider know that I am there and intend to pass...I won't just blow by him. But if he is being a ass and trying to block me, then I will do whatever I can to get SAFELY around him. If I feel that in passing the other rider it will cause harm to either one of us...I won't pass :(

as long as the other rider waves me on and i feel like i can pass safely, i dont mind passing in the same lane, otherwise i wait until i have a legal passing zone. :whistle: then blow by like a bat out of he!! :laugh:

Only scenario I can think of for passing in the same lane is squeezing between an oncoming vehicle and the other rider. Signal or not, that ain't happenin'. Not enough traffic around here to warrent that big of a hurry for me.
I'll wait until I can go by in the other lane.

generally i would only do it when the other rider knows i'm there and waves me past. I have however passed when the other rider intentionally rides slow and irregularly (weaving in the lane, etc) to keep me from passing or just being an ass. I wont pass in the same lane in those cases, i will cross the line and pass them quite quickly to eliminate their ability to do something stupid....and only on a straight. Passing in a turn is just asking for problems 99.99% of the time.

+1 :)

If the guy moves over and waves me by, I'll pass but only on the left. If the rider has taken the time to move over and wave you by, it means his attention is focused on you more than it should be which means that getting around him is doing him a favor.

I remember a certain near fist fight over a guy passing someone one the right. It's not particularly safe.

Of course, if the guy is being an ass, you should kick him off his bike as you go by. :laugh:

(That's a JOKE, people!)

I remember a ride when I was coming up FAST behind a harley with a rider and his wife rollin' on down the road, SLOW. He moved over as I approached so I thought he had seen me. Of course, I blew by him and kept on flyin' down the road. My buddy who was riding behind me said I almost killed the guy as he went wobbling on down the road for a moment. I really felt bad about that and realized then that I hadn't been waved by. I suppose he was just sight seeing and never saw me until I blew on by him.

No matter what, respect is what it's all about. Be respectful. But be assertive, too.

--Wag--

Always pass on the left, AFTER being waved by. I will always wait for a clearing and not use his lane. We had a group of BMW riders pass through our group one year in Eureka, not one shred of decency in the bunch! They were passing on the right and the left and without anyone knowing they were there.

I generally won't pass another rider in our group at all, unless waved around. I'll wait to be waved around by other bikes, if they aren't up to it they get passed, but on the otherside of the line to the left, Never on the right.

Pass like you would a car. Who do you think going to be liable if something goes awry. Answer: the passer.

Back