Passing in the same lane

brad

Registered
While on the freeway a complete stranger on another bike decides to pass me in my same lane. I was riding towards the left side of the lane, but even still I was not expecting him to pass in the same lane as I. Wasn't sure what to make of it. Was he making a statement?
Does it happen to you guys? What do you think of it or do you also do it?
brad

shared lane state!!woohoo...he just wanted to go a lil faster than you did, thats all

Was he making a statement? Does it happen to you guys? What do you think of it or do you also do it?
brad

No, he's not making a statement.
Yes, it has happened to me.
No, I personally do not do it.

My 2 cents: if another rider wants to go faster then me (or I am too slow for them), the so be it. Its what we do to cars when we SPLIT LANES here in Cali, right?

whats the big deal? bikes do it to cars in Cali every day. not the brighest thing to do imo but just cause ur on a bike doesnt mean its not gonna happen to u.

In CA, it would be expected given their traffic laws. Here in TN, no it would not be expected and therefor much more dangerous...

If I know it and motion for them to come by then it's fine. Otherwise it would piss me off:rulez:

It would piss me off also if i was buzz cut by a stranger. It hasnt happend. I tend to switch sides in one lane depending on the type of road and traffic.

That whole lane belongs to the rider, people don't respect that and they really should. Some fool in a cage misses the rider in that lane he may not have the time look in a rear view and needs to take evasive action. For safety reasons you ride in staggered formation and for that same reason you shouldn't violate a bikers right to all parts of his lane.

That whole lane belongs to the rider, people don't respect that and they really should.

OP is in CA in case you missed it......where lane sharing/splitting/white lining is legal. So car or bike in a lane IN CALIFORNIA should be used to this.

No, he's not making a statement.
Yes, it has happened to me.
No, I personally do not do it.

My 2 cents: if another rider wants to go faster then me (or I am too slow for them), the so be it. Its what we do to cars when we SPLIT LANES here in Cali, right?

krom, lane splitting is legal. And it is OK to do so. The legal speed limit of lane splitting is 40 MPH. If you are on the freeway and some buttwipe passes you in the lane you are in, it is ILLEGAL AND UNSAFE. A DirtBag on an HD/clone powered bike passed me doing over 100 mph in the same lane. I had no idea this idiot was coming, passing, or even in the same lame as I. It scared the breath out of me. My first reaction was to go after him and issue an old style attitude adjustment upon his person. Or get my tail kicked in the process. I was pissed and did not care. I watched this idiot fly across three lanes of traffic causing cars to brake hard and decided he would do the job on himself and I would not go to jail.

You want to pass on the freeway, change lanes, and do your thing.

krom, lane splitting is legal. And it is OK to do so. The legal speed limit of lane splitting is 40 MPH. If you are on the freeway and some buttwipe passes you in the lane you are in, it is ILLEGAL AND UNSAFE. A DirtBag on an HD/clone powered bike passed me doing over 100 mph in the same lane. I had no idea this idiot was coming, passing, or even in the same lame as I. It scared the breath out of me. My first reaction was to go after him and issue an old style attitude adjustment upon his person. Or get my tail kicked in the process. I was pissed and did not care. I watched this idiot fly across three lanes of traffic causing cars to brake hard and decided he would do the job on himself and I would not go to jail.

You want to pass on the freeway, change lanes, and do your thing.

Exactly,have had it happen to me numerous times and a couple almost took me out.Last time i was up at the Lookout Roadhouse overlooking Lake Elsinore i made it a point(in a loud enough voice to be overheard by everyone)that if anyone ever passed me in my lane and caused me to go down he'd damned well better keep on going or hope it killed me...never saw another bike on my way down the mountain.:laugh:

I want to correct my previous post.....

I Would have sped up to him and :crowbar:ed his azz off that Zx14 he was riding. Cus nobody does that to a white Busa!

:laugh:

lane sharing. personally dont like the idea of anyone else in my lane unless they're 50ft in front or back of me.

Big Bo,
I agree with all points you raised and of course, I know that lane splitting is legal here in CA...been doing it myself for almost 25 years now :)
P.S. However, I never push my right of way and gladly move out of the way for any car or bike who wants to pass

lane-splitting.jpg

Got passed one time. A guy went flying by, scared the $heets out of me as he was doing about 150mph and I never saw him coming. I took off after him, but when he started splitting cars, so I backed off. Followed him off the interstate. We come up on traffic at a light, and a sheriff, is flying up behind me. The guy that bussed me was running from the police. Thanks goodness I backed off. The other guy kept on running through city streets. Don't know if the sheriff caught him or not, but stop lights meant nothing to that guy as he kept running with the sheriff right behind him.

I was on I-5 and decided to lane split. Did it for a couple of miles. Cars had slowed down to 10 mph. :laugh: I was like the HD guy above. :laugh:

Back