Wix oil filter

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I am planning on changing the oil and plugs today. The bike shop is closed so I was wondering if the Wix filter was ok to use. There are several ppl on here that say stay away from Fram.

TIA

Don

bump.gif
Someone has to have an opinion.

While I have used a few wix filters on bikes over the years, I have not cut one apart. I have cut several Wix car filters as well as many other brands. If the Wix bike filter is made with the same standards as the car filter, you have nothing to worry about. And yes, I'd stay away from Fram.

While I have used a few wix filters on bikes over the years, I have not cut one apart. I have cut several Wix car filters as well as many other brands. If the Wix bike filter is made with the same standards as the car filter, you have nothing to worry about.  And yes, I'd stay away from Fram.
Makes sense to me that all the Wix filters should meet the same quality standards. Well, I am off to O'reilly's for plugs and oil filter and then to Walmart for some Mobil x4t or whatever that mobil motorcycle full synthetic oil they have just started carrying. There are some guys here that use it. At 900 miles a week on the bike, I am going to let it go just a little past 3500 miles, maybe 5000. That is changing the oil about every 6 weeks. Let me know what you think.

Don

MX4T, That is what I'm running in mine. I think you made a good choice there!

Don't know about wix filters, but if you have a PEP Boys near you they have the Purolator ML16818, which is made specifically for MC's (correct flow rate, pressure relief valve, etc.) I haven't cut one apart, but their other filters are quite good. And they go for about $6-7.

The mobil MX4T is OK as is they 15W-50 gold cap for cars (fine for wet clutches).

smile.gif

Back