Witnessed a horrible M/C accident today.

TIMMYDUCK

Head Woodchuck
Donating Member
Registered
Today is a day in motorcycling that I will never forget.

We meet as planned at 11' O'clock or so in Manchester, Ct. for  group ride.

It was Dogbones 32nd birthday today  12-16.

12 bikes showed up.

I volunteered to lead since no one else wanted too.

So up interstate 84 to exit 69 , that puts us onto Ct Rt 74 east.

As I said I have been leading and I had ridden this road just this past tuesday and am very familiar with it.

So anyways about 1/2 mile into the route there is a long wide off camber or what I would call a double fall line left hander.

Dogbone on his ZX-10 street fighter passes me on the outside before the apex, he then needs to lean in hard to compensate and the bike washes out from under him.
Both he and his bike are rag - dolled into the gaurdrail and start spinning.

His legs are folded in and he is tangled up in the supports.

His bike continues spinning like a top for 380 ft.

I avoided the crash and just followed the bike down the road to prevent a bike pile-up behind me.

As soon as his bike stopped in the middle of the intersection, I dismount and call 911 for assistance.

I had seen how severe his wounds where in the 1 second it took me to pass by.
He was Lifestared ( Helicoptor) from the accident scene
and ultimately had broke both legs.( Compound fractures)
1 in 2 places and the other in 3.
He broke his pelvis in 2 places too,
kneecap damage, and countless other injuries.
I thought he was going to bleed out before help arrived.

Anyways a horrible real life in your face accident.

I will try to link in some pics and tell more later.Crash thread link

The photos are in post # 20.

read about this on the other forum already , sounds like there was at least a few riders there who knew what to do , yourself included ! i pray for a speedy recovery for him , and comend all who kept cool and got him help quick , sounded like time was an important factor , and probably saved his life !
beerchug.gif

Dayum that sucks bigtime---- Sad for the guy --- Hope he recovers for sure.
Over his head on an unfamiliar road ..... He's paying a high price for maybe showing off.
I have been there done that but only recieved minor injuries--- Lets learn from this....
Best wishes to him and his family.

TDuck, send my thoughts his way.
Like John said, you guys probably saved his life by staying cool.

sad.gif
bad timing with it being the Holidays. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to your bud.

DD

Gods speed for your buds full recovery! When he can talk to ya tell him his bike came thru with flyin colors! Man that Kawi is tough or sliders work!
beerchug.gif

all_coholic.gif

AOL.com Images Not Available

That's a bad crash, glad he survived. Hopefully he gets a full recovery!!

When you look at the photo gallery pictures, it is pretty obvious what happened.

He saved a 10 K bike with the sliders.

Had them on the rear swingarm too, no frame or tank damage.

Bike reset and started afterwards.

Lost a stator cover, rear rim and small left sidemirror as far as we can detect.

This drama is not ending yet

Police called and wanted the bike back for some reason.

(TIMMYDUCK @ Dec. 16 2006,18:59) When you look at the photo gallery pictures, it is pretty obvious what happened.

He saved a 10 K bike with the sliders.

Had them on the rear swingarm too, no frame or tank damage.

Bike reset and started afterwards.

Lost a stator cover, rear rim and small left sidemirror as far as we can detect.

This drama is not ending yet

Police called and wanted the bike back for some reason.
That's not good...

but what could they possibly do with it??

3 police reconstruction experts came in.

Didn't believe a word we said about speed.

Distance of the slide versus known coefficent drag and all.

This was a ultra-light 2004 ZX-10.

I truly saw 38 m.ph. as I went by, but I was already on my fronts following the spinning bike, It truly spun at least 10 times in that distance.

Sort of like a kid spinning a top.

How can you possible figure out a spinning tumbling bike's speed. It wasn't on its tires. It was on plastic and metal for varying amounts of time with varying amounts of contact with the pavement.

Sounds like crap to me....

There is litigation precedent already on the style of guard rails being used when safer biker freindly ones are available.

There is other alleged problems in the area, concerning a trucking and spillage of road hazards in that corner.

Hartford is still the insurance capital of the world.

Lots of lawyers to go around, if you know what I mean.

Sorry to hear about your friend. He was lucky to have friends like you with him when this happend though!

Any idea what caused the bike to wash out? He had to lean hard you said - everyone says to trust your tires. Why didn't his hold?

I'm looking to learn from this. I'm glad he's alive and not with any head or organ injury. Those bones will heal up thankfully.

We'll keep him in our prayers.

(Rocketman @ Dec. 16 2006,21:27) Any idea what caused the bike to wash out?  He had to lean hard you said - everyone says to trust your tires.  Why didn't his hold?

I'm looking to learn from this.  I'm glad he's alive and not with any head or organ injury.  Those bones will heal up thankfully.  

We'll keep him in our prayers.
He was running Dunlop Qualifiers.

Approx 1500 miles or so on them

12 miles at highway speeds in 52 degree weather was not enough to sufficently soften the side walls, for the lean angle he attempted.

That's what I believr it is from ,riding in the cold and the sides just not warm to stic. Riding in the cold has a whole diff. effect on the bikes performance,I noticed this myself.

Hope he heals up good...Nothing for nothing,but if you were leading,he should have stayed in the pack.
Specially you knowing the road.

Get well bud.
beerchug.gif

Back