winter storage?

hosinfefer

Registered
Hi Guys

I am wanting to store my bike in my house for the winter (going to maybe do an rcc stage 1). What all do I need to do to the bike to "put it away" for the winter. Going to empty the gas take. Guess I will not need to remove the batt. or should I? What else is needed.

Thanks

use a battery tender on the batt, cheap insurance...

and for the turbo take off a bunch of parts...panels, exh, airbox, removing the rad makes it easier, having the tank empty is a + when you remove it.

Other than that you need time and money.

Have fun, Ryan

Most will say a full tank of gas will prevent rust inside the tank but I doubt this is much of an issue inside your house + any gas would just be a fire hazard. It might not be a bad idea to run some Seafoam additive through your last tank of gas for the season so any gas left in your injectors/fuel lines will be stabilized and clean.

Nice to have the bike on stands to prevent flat spots on tires. I'd say check the antifreeze just in case your furnace goes out.

Change oil and don't run the bike with what ever oil you put in. I would consider storing with a cheap oil in the crank case and change oil again before you start riding again. Being inside, you might be able to store with no oil since condensation forming should be pretty much non-existant indoors.

I would say that an empty fuel tank would, potentially, be more of a fire hazard over a topped off fuel tank. Oxygen is the culprit if you want to get down to it.

A full fuel tank with no air is better for guarding against moisture accumulation, thus bringing chance for rust, potential fire hazard.

I would fill the tank, add Stabil, disconnect and remove the battery (set on a shelf or if near concrete, set on a block of wood to prevent concrete from drawing the charge out).

Check tyre pressure, wash, clean/wax chain, check clearance, wax body work, clean all glass, polish wheels, wrap it in a blanket, set a fluffy teddy bear on top of it, kiss it goodnight and call it good!

I would say that an empty fuel tank would, potentially, be more of a fire hazard over a topped off fuel tank.

Come to think of it, I recall hearing leaving a tank dry is not the greatest thing for a fuel pump because the blade requires to be immersed in gas to remain pliable. Not as much of an issue with a new bike, I heard. I'd fill it and just be as careful as you would with a natural gas appliance in your home. Or just take it off and keep it full outside if you are going to be doing the turbo. A full tank is quite a handful to remove.

I would just follow the directions in the owner manual on how to store the bike. There's a whole chapter on it if I remember correctly.

As far as the debate goes for storing the bike with gas or not. I would go with a full tank of gas. Gas in a liquid state is not flammable; gas fumes are.

I don't have to worry about this because I ride all year round. :thumbsup:
Sorry about the bragging.

I would say that an empty fuel tank would, potentially, be more of a fire hazard over a topped off fuel tank. Oxygen is the culprit if you want to get down to it.

A full fuel tank with no air is better for guarding against moisture accumulation, thus bringing chance for rust, potential fire hazard.

I would fill the tank, add Stabil, disconnect and remove the battery (set on a shelf or if near concrete, set on a block of wood to prevent concrete from drawing the charge out).

Check tyre pressure, wash, clean/wax chain, check clearance, wax body work, clean all glass, polish wheels, wrap it in a blanket, set a fluffy teddy bear on top of it, kiss it goodnight and call it good!

Sorry but 5.5 gallons of gasoline has greater potential of hazard than an empty tank, especially and empty tank that was vented for a day or so.

I'm thinking fill it and store it in the garage. :thumbsup:

I would just follow the directions in the owner manual on how to store the bike. There's a whole chapter on it if I remember correctly.

As far as the debate goes for storing the bike with gas or not. I would go with a full tank of gas. Gas in a liquid state is not flammable; gas fumes are.

I don't have to worry about this because I ride all year round. :thumbsup:
Sorry about the bragging.

Gasoline is very flammable, gasoline fumes pose a greater hazard..........

The stands are good for the tires and more so the bearings. Not to mention it will make it a little easier to install that snail shell. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the build brother and +1 on battery tender. I have the Jr. $19.00 works great.

Sorry but 5.5 gallons of gasoline has greater potential of hazard than an empty tank, especially and empty tank that was vented for a day or so.

You may never get your tank completely dry of fuel. I still had a few ounces left in my 14 after siphoning as much as I could get out. It's not as easy as turn the tank over and pour it out. You could use a rag tied securely to a wire and try to mop out every bit with the tank laying on its side. I bet you would still have some left in there. That's the 14 anyway. Maybe the busa tank is different. Don't forget -- the fuel pump is best kept wet.

Last edited:

I'm thinking fill it and store it in the garage. :thumbsup:

Sorry, you actually have never flown or pre-flighted an airplane then if you say that. An airplane is stored if left with a topped off fuel tanks to prevent moisture accumulation also leaving no chance for explosion if spark were to be presented.

Do you drain and leave your car when you go on a vacation? That would be silly.

Gasoline in a liquid state is not flammable or even dangerous at all. Only as gasoline liquid turns to vapor does it become dangerous. Here are a couple articles to prove my point:

Under "background information" first sentence

Second paragraph first sentence

All I can say is gasoline is flammable and the article states that clearly :
" Flammable and combustible products are used for a wide variety of purposes and are commonly found in the home. Gasoline is the most common, but there are other flammable and combustible liquids and gases used in the home including. "

Fire consist of four parts fuel, heat, oxygen, and chemical reaction. I understand what the author is stating in the second paragraph. You need to also consider the context in which things are being stated. If you read on you will see that I stated an empty well vented tank. My point was there would be no fumes, no fuel, no source. Deflagration is another animal all together and a completely empty tank that had not been completely vented would probably give you a small one and then it would be over. A full tank of fuel IMHO would be the greater threat.

I wasn't trying to make you look bad or attack your post but merely make the situation safer.

I believe I asked that the tank be filled but left in the garage as another alternative.

Sorry, you actually have never flown or pre-flighted an airplane then if you say that. An airplane is stored if left with a topped off fuel tanks to prevent moisture accumulation also leaving no chance for explosion if spark were to be presented.

Do you drain and leave your car when you go on a vacation? That would be silly.

No I don't, but I don't park it in my house either. I agree entirely with topping the tank off for the reasons you state, but it would be safer to store it in the garage.

Do you store the gas for your mower inside your house ?

And just to add irony to this entire matter October is National Fire Prevention Month :laugh:

No I don't, but I don't park it in my house either. I agree entirely with topping the tank off for the reasons you state, but it would be safer to store it in the garage.

Do you store the gas for your mower inside your house ?
You,,, are just being purely arbitrary and argumentative for the sake of your own false statute.

Done with you.

Back