Winter Service

george3.3

Registered
I am getting ready to buy some things so I can be ready to put our bikes away for the winter. What plugs do you guys recommend for my Busa and my wifes 07 Gixxer 600? Also what kind Synth.? They will sit on bike stands until next Spring with this set-up and then we will run them so I want to get the best! Thanks for the ideas.

Plugs? as in spark? I just changed my first set out at 26K.. still looked fine

Mobil1 for me.. you might was to dump a bit of upper cylinder lube in the motor and some "Stabil" in the fuel.. (make sure the tank is FULL of fuel, air is your enemy)

I just read my thread and realized it is a poor job of writing. Yes, I ment spark plugs. That should teach me not to post threads while I am in the middle of putting my kids to bed. any other things you guys do for winter storage?

battery tender, change out brake/clutch fluid (DOT4) and change coolant, lube chain and put up on stands (get off the tires)

bought my 08 in december last year (birthday present to myself) couldent help but to keep riding. you may want to put a bike cover on them so they dont get too cold:laugh:, definately get a battery tender, wally world sells some that has two battery hookups for somewhat perment install (bolts to the terminals) and comes with your standard clamps. i wouldnt worry about the plugs unless it was due for a changing.:2cents:

George if you decide to change out the brake and clutch fluid I highly recommend using Valvoline - SynPower. High Performance Synthetic Brake Fluid. Rated to exceed DOT 3 and DOT 4 specifications. The best stuff IMO. Manual suggests plug changes at 7,500 mi. Busa's should be good for at least 8k mi if not more. If your a fanatic like me I would check them at 8k mi. If you see that you want to replace them I would use OEM plugs (check your owners manual pg 7-11 for instructions). I believe they are irridium plugs - someone who has changed them out maybe could confirm. Plug torque is 8.0 lb-ft

I would not put them away but I had an experience here hitting a small patch of ice in Dec. it was a great day out but the ground was cold and there was some water spill. So now I just put them away. I am a freak about these things and with our boat I would change plugs and oil every fall for storage. If you guys recommend to leave the plugs I will, I will just change the oil and tender the batts. The Busa only has 3800mi and the Gixxer only 1900mi so they are not even close to other recommended services. Thank you guys so much for the input!!!

Check your mileage and do the recommended services for what ever interval you're at. Lower the tire pressure in case you want another ride or two in the cold. If not then hook up a battery tender, top off fuel with stabilizer, wax and clean it reel good and throw it up on the stands.:thumbsup:

Here in south ga. we just crank ours and let them get to operating temp. when it's to cold to ride. Our's don't need stabil because they don't sit idle long. I don't see why anyone would change plugs just to let them sit through the winter, am i missing something there? I'm supposed to be a mechanic but you guys are making me wonder if I need to change my line of work. " nope" can't do that , To old and been there to long.

Back