Winter battery charging

Winter question.
08 Busa
Just wondering....
If started every other day and just idled for say 4 minutes,
Will the bikes charging system keep the battery in good condition?

(Garage kept and no sub 0 temps.)

Starting the engine for a couple of minutes every other day would be really bad both for the engine, battery and exhaust system. The battery cannot become reacharged that fast. The engine oil would soon be full of water and harmful acids since the oil needs reach full temperature to dispatch the huge amount of water that is created every cold-start.

i would purchase a battery tender($35 in the states) just to be safe. it's much cheaper than paying for a new battery later on. i can get about 4-4 1/2 years on a yuasa.

:beerchug:

thxx, i will look out for that "battery tender" :thumbsup:

...or go for this one:
yamaha-battery-charger-2.jpg

super small, ultra efficient.
I own two of these and they are fantastic.
just plug it in and forget about it.
Here in Europe all new Yamahas come with a "socket" to connect this device. (you'll be using the clips)
No need to take of the seat or any cover. In my Roadliner there's a hidden small rubber cover by the speedo.

Do you ear that Suzuki??

Last edited:
Walmart sells the Shumacher Battery charger, works great and cost about 20.00.

I use the Battery Tender jr. Plug it in and forget about it till spring time.

This is what I do also. I have an 08 and my bike sits outside all winter. So far I still have the Factory battery.I am not sure how long a battery is should last but mine has been good so far because of the battery tender Jr. This place had them on sale for 18 bucks last week. Click on the link
Battery Tender - Battery Tender Junior Charger

Hope it helps

Winter question.
08 Busa
Just wondering....
If started every other day and just idled for say 4 minutes,
Will the bikes charging system keep the battery in good condition?

(Garage kept and no sub 0 temps.)

IMsomewhatHO, that will probably work for the battery but do no good whatsoever for the rest of the bike.

#1 every other day should not be necessary at all to keep the battery up. I have left my 08 sit a couple months without a charge and still started up fine.

#2 Four minutes is probably enough to bring it back up to full charge but I would run it longer to be sure.

#3 Don't know if you are talking subzero C or F but if a battery sits in freezing temps and the battery is discharged , the liquid can freeze and bust the battery shell and you have all that crap all over your bike -----and your battery is shot.

Same goes for antifreeze quality of your coolant. If it is not at a sufficient strength, the coolant could freeze solid if it got extremely cold and damage the thin metal parts of the radiator or even the heftier parts of the engine. Buy a tester and check your coolant for freezing point.

#4 The hardest thing on your motor is starting. Multiply by 4 for extra cold starts. Oil is thick and doesn't circulate. Motor will require more turns on the starter which are non-lubed turns. Takes very long for motor to reach a good operating temp.

#5 Best to store with clean oil. Dirty oil is not the best thing for your clutch and crank case to sit in all winter. You start your bike for 30 seconds that's 30 seconds of combustion. Oil is now less clean. Less clean oil mixes with ......

#6 Water. Water + combustion byproducts = something not good (someone recently told me sulphuric acid?????) for your motor internals. Water by itself causes corrosion of steel parts and oil sludge. Start the bike in the cold and you will get condensation inside the motor and the exhuast. It is very hard to avoid condensation on a cold day even if you let the bike run until it is very thoroughly warmed up. The best chance of not accumulating some water is to go for a long ride on the bike in which case, why store it?

Just get a battery trickle charger like I'm sure everyone is suggesting. That's all you need for the battery.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello:

I have in the past removed my battery and brought it inside. It would discharge over the winter and subsequently not hold it charge. If you have a battery tender should be fine, but if you keep the battery on the bike then you need a line running from your bike to the plug to keep the charge going. You can bring the battery inside and have it hooked up inside to a tender, that should work fine. However I was told a few years back, that if you just disconnect the Negative (black) line to the battery, and leave the battery in the bike, everything will be fine for 4-6 months. I have done this every year with my bike the last 4 or 5 years and no problems with my batteries in the spring.
I live in Ontario and the winters get pretty cold, I do have a garage, but it is unheated.
Also I do have trickle chargers that I purchased in the past, but don't bother with them any more, as the above method seems to work well for me.
Hope this helps.

Back