2008 Busa Battery question

Can be the battery, the rectifier, or the stator.

Just like a car, you need to do a diagnosis on the battery and charging system to be sure.

Test the battery first and see if it has a dead cell or something. Then after that depending on the results, you might need to investigate further.

I had the same issues on my wife's 08...finally got the stealership to really check things (on first visit they claimed battery cables were loose, issues popped up twice more...finally on a long ride where I had to let her ride my bike while I kept roll starting hers) and it turned out to be a bad stator. It was replaced and haven't had the issues since then.

hopefully that isnt the issue, it seems to be the battery though because there is no turn over due to a lack of power

sometimes there is only enough power to get it to tick

My 08 had a new battery after only 800 miles. Later it Sat for a month and would not start. Now use a battery tender. Had the whole system checked and was told all is perfect. I am thinking it just is the nature of the beast.

My 08 did the same thing when I got it. I took it in and they charged it and have not had any issues since then. It might just need a good charge. Good luck and welcome to the org.:welcome:

damn...

& it wouldnt charge after being ridden huh?

im really hoping this can be solved with a new battery...

Think of the stator and rectifier as you would an alternator on a car. If the alternator isnt any good then the battery will not charge properly.

If you kill the battery a time or two, the life of the battery has been compromised. Hence the importance in checking out the charging system.

If you put a new battery in and find out that the charging system is still insufficient; then you could damage the new battery. At that point you will be having to replace the new one too.

You can use a multimeter to check the output of the rectifier. If it checks out then you should be pretty good. If not then you need to check the output of the stator/input to the rectifier.

The way your bike makes and stores electricity is this: Flywheel attached to crankshaft->stator mounted around flywheel->wires from stator run to rectifier, rectifier converts the current->output of rectifier goes to the battery for storage.

So start at the battery and test your way back to the flywheel untill things check out. Essentially you want to work backwards.

ok

ive been doing some researching and also learned the rectifier/ stator connector is of bad design

apparently i should look there first because this has solved some peoples problems of the same nature

Open battery-pour acid in and charge for 12 hours--pour acid out of battery-- tap plug strip back on..Done Never have problem with weak battery again..Battery tech. Be very careful with plug strip, not to damage alot.

Think of the stator and rectifier as you would an alternator on a car. If the alternator isnt any good then the battery will not charge properly.

If you kill the battery a time or two, the life of the battery has been compromised. Hence the importance in checking out the charging system.

If you put a new battery in and find out that the charging system is still insufficient; then you could damage the new battery. At that point you will be having to replace the new one too.

Been there and done that. My rectifier went bad at 1000 miles and before I realized it was the problem I ate up the stock battery and then a new one.

My '08 has the same issues. I was told that when you buy the bikes sometimes they don't do a full charge on the batteries (don't let them charge up fully) and therefore you may have starting issues if you don't ride the bike enough. I sometimes let my bike sit for weeks and when I go to ride it, it will start fine, but when I get to my destination, turn it off, and then try and start it again, the battery is dead. :banghead: A tech told me that the rectifier/ stator doesn't charge the battery under 3000rpm's, so if you're lugging around town, you're not getting a charge. I finally got a Battery Tender and things seem to be fine now.

Back