Winter battery charging

jtriron

Registered
Winter question.
08 Busa
Just wondering....
If started every other day and just idled for say 4 minutes,
Will the bikes charging system keep the battery in good condition?

(Garage kept and no sub 0 temps.)

Winter question.
08 Busa
Just wondering....
If started every other day and just idled for say 4 minutes,
Will the bikes charging system keep the battery in good condition?

(Garage kept and no sub 0 temps.)

no that will hurt the battery more than just sitting uncharged, it takes more power to start the bike than the bike to charge in that short amount of time.... best thing to get is a tricle charger, thats a route u cant go wrong.. but that just if u want to keep ur battery as long as it is ment to be. but ive had a r6 that i left all winter without a charger, but the battery did die a few times while trying to start it after the winter

its mainly the time that the battery is just discharging all the time

Last edited:
That will also hurt your bike in the way if carbon build up. If you aren't going to ride it, trickle charge it and leave it off. I learned this the hard way with another bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

take the batter off, give it a good charge and then bring it into the warmth of the house for the Winter months(like us brits have to do), then charge it up before putting the bike back on the road.

Also, starting the bike up and leaving it idling for no reason isnt that great for the lump as well..

I also say battery tender...

My garage looks like a tender cob web... I have my hot rod, and busa both sitting in there on tenders...

work great..

We got the Eight bank Battery tender set up for my grand pa, he can keep his mowers, truck,generators,four wheeler.

one more plug for a tender (the fused quick disconnect harness can also double as a power source for your GPS, radar detector, heated gear, etc.)

0000_Battery_Tender_Plus_Charger_Black.jpg

Last edited:
my battery failed leaving it in the garage all winter on a tender a few years ago. not good for new england weather. bring it in the house and put it on a tender for the off season.

today i took off the battery and put it into my room, since i live in building and i have no garage so busa is outside under cover. But i took out the battery and i dont have any of those things to keep the battery charged untill spring..

so just wondering will battery die untill spring, even its not pluged in into something that take care of it. Its just sitting in my room on room temperature ?

Question for u guys, i always keep my 08 busa on the tender during these horrible winter months, and normally don't start it unless i can ride it around on the street for a few minutes. Should i pull the battery and keep it on the tender in the house (basement), or just keep the tender on the bike in the garage. Would it be better to be kept inside during the winter months and help extend the life of the battery?

Question for u guys, i always keep my 08 busa on the tender during these horrible winter months, and normally don't start it unless i can ride it around on the street for a few minutes. Should i pull the battery and keep it on the tender in the house (basement), or just keep the tender on the bike in the garage. Would it be better to be kept inside during the winter months and help extend the life of the battery?

Hemi I did a Google search and batteries can freeze. If they discharge, there's a 99% chance it will not charge again. So, if it's cold enough where you are, I would remove the battery, put it on a tender, and store it at room temp.

Id keep the battery indoors in a controlled temp. As in for running the bike, take it for a ride for at least 15-20 mins to get the oil up to temps. Burn off all the moisture.

today i took off the battery and put it into my room, since i live in building and i have no garage so busa is outside under cover. But i took out the battery and i dont have any of those things to keep the battery charged untill spring..

so just wondering will battery die untill spring, even its not pluged in into something that take care of it. Its just sitting in my room on room temperature ?
i would purchase a battery tender($35 in the states) just to be safe. it's much cheaper than paying for a new battery later on. i can get about 4-4 1/2 years on a yuasa.

Ok thanks, i'll pull the battery this weekend and store it inside for the winter, hooked up to the tender of course

Back