how long will it take to kill the batt with a gps charging

hemi

Registered
gps wired straight to the battery, how long u think it will take to kill the battery while the unit is charging. Left mine plugged in all night and checked the voltage, was 12.55v and about 8 hours or so later 12.45v. Think it would take about 3 or 4 days with the bike just sitting to fully drain the battery while the gps is plugged in/charging the whole time

I see you have the GPS hardwired but curious why you're using the bike to charge? just to experiment?

If the unit is off (charging mode) and it's connected to the battery through charger ,you have no problem as long as the units battery is ok.Chargers manage to give load only when they "asked"

kromdom, i'm just curious if it will kill the battery. Say i'm out riding for a few hours using the gps, arrive at home and turn the unit off but still leave it plugged into the charger wired into the bike. The unit is off but it is still charging. I normally unplug it all the time, but just wondering how long it would take if i just left it plugged in

A long long time... had my LEDs on for about 3.5 hrs the other night.6-9in strips and the wireless control box... the bike needed a little more finesse to start up. On a full charge it starts right up.

I'm shopping around for gps mount options. Post up pics of yours if u don't mind

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I know a Garmin Nuvi 780 will kill a Gen II battery in 7 days. Probably less, it wasn't a preplanned scientific test.

I'm shopping around for gps mount options.

Ram mounts is your way to go with almost any unit. They make so many holders for so many brands of GPS, Radars', IPods', and so on. Plus, you have so many options as to where to mount on the bike. Most riders like the stem mounts, and you have the options of different shaft lengths, so that you can use them to see over your tank bags. You can mount to the controls, brake or clutch side. Also, you can get the base ball that is designed to just screw into solid metal, once drilled and threaded.

Back