Wild Hogs! road trip to Maggies diner on route 66!

jch364

Registered
Wild Hogs is one of my favorite movies. I watched it for the umteenth time the other day with my wife and just still enjoyed it. Its a fun movie. Anyway I think one of the reasons i like it so much is because its strikes a cord with me with respect to the theme of the movie. I refuse to admit I am middle aged but I am 49 now so it is what it is..lol Anyway I have always enjoyed road trips.
So I decided to look it up and found that Madrid does exist and its in New Mexico and even has Maggies diner still. lol... I was really thinking of taking a trip to Madrid this year just like the wild hogs did. I was going to take route 66 all the way out once i pick it up headed east from Dayton Ohio.
Has anyone been on route 66 and traveled it much? If so any suggestions about it. Kinda hard to get the map program to work with that road.
Any experiences on 66 out there?

I did a motorcycle trip down 66 but it was as a kid on the back of my dads Goldwing. He and I always talk about hookup up for a week over a summer and doing a week long road trip somewhere.... Maybe we'll do another 66 trip.

Great movie for a good quality laugh...Have not made any riding trips down there but think that it would be fun.

that is a cool movie, not sure how many times I've watched it. There was going to be a sequel but something happened and they didn't finish it. I'd be up for a long roadtrip somewhere.

you need to talk to BusaWhipped...he made that trip a couple years ago and there are some sections you definitely need to be aware of, you'll end up in the middle of a cornfield with no more road quite a few times if you don't watch out

Guess I missed this one. The diner is actually a gift shop. If you visit be sure to stop into the Mineshaft for a meal. Madrid is actually an old mining town and is along one of my regular riding routes along HWY 14 which is also known as the turquoise trail. If you head south from there you can head on up to Sandia Peak which is a nice and twisty road. Stop at the visitors center and take in a great view of the Rio Grand Valley, including Albuquerque/Rio Rancho and North to Santa Fe. If you head north on 14 you'll hit Santa Fe. The best ride in this area by far is HWY 4 from Los Alamos through the Valleys Caldera volcano back to HWY 550 then east to I25 When you come back into Rio Rancho, you'll drive right by my neighborhood.

I tend to avoid 66 in my neck of the woods. It is a terrible bumpy road. I hope it is just our area and not the whole thing though. A lot of people travel it through our area. People from all over the world come to just drive it.

A few stories from my trip.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...52421-rt-66-adventure-updated-pictures-2.html

https://www.facebook.com/dennis.heidler.3/media_set?set=a.1640951363729.64135.1835178519&type=3

281358_1648416710358_6561939_n.jpg

I haven't taken that trip, but I've always said I'd love to travel Route 66 as well...perhaps a bucket list is in order! And don't you go labeling middle-agers yet; some of us are getting too close for comfort :rofl:

We're all simply more memory challenged these days, nothing more :whistle:

Great pics Dennis! :thumbsup:

Guess I missed this one. The diner is actually a gift shop. If you visit be sure to stop into the Mineshaft for a meal. Madrid is actually an old mining town and is along one of my regular riding routes along HWY 14 which is also known as the turquoise trail. If you head south from there you can head on up to Sandia Peak which is a nice and twisty road. Stop at the visitors center and take in a great view of the Rio Grand Valley, including Albuquerque/Rio Rancho and North to Santa Fe. If you head north on 14 you'll hit Santa Fe. The best ride in this area by far is HWY 4 from Los Alamos through the Valleys Caldera volcano back to HWY 550 then east to I25 When you come back into Rio Rancho, you'll drive right by my neighborhood.

man i got some planning to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie Wild Hogs is on tv right now. So funny. When yall make the trip don't forget the little thing called "slap the bull" :rofl:

Back