Planning a ride to California (Route 66), Houston, Phoenix and Mexico.

Hayabusa4life

I said Good Day!
Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to ride route 66, also visiting Houston and Phoenix area, around mid April
Anyone near this areas? Would be nice to meet up if anyone is in the area. Any suggestion on places to check out will be appreciated

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to ride route 66, also visiting Houston and Phoenix area, around mid April
Anyone near this areas? Would be nice to meet up if anyone is in the area. Any suggestion on places to check out will be appreciated
Campgrounds? Or hotels?

Know of a couple specific places in AZ that's BLM land, meaning you can usually camp safely for free. Tent stuff. No hookups, no water, but a grocery store usually <5 mi away FYI

AZ's Oatman Highway on a Busa looks like fun (35.0264, -114.3839). Never done it
Oatman.png

[EDIT]
And if you're planning on connecting with @WuzzaCBXRider in CA I would DEFINITELY try to crash that party FYI ;)

Last edited:
More info please. Your route if planned. Where will you come into California? Stuff like that.
IMG_20240217_203054.png
I forgot to post the route. This is roughly the route so far, start at Chicago, Il. to St Louis, Mo to Waldo, Ar. to Houston, Tx then will go to Mexico, then will go to Phoenix, Az. to Santa Monica, Ca. Then on the way back will try to stay close to the route 66.

I could move some things around

Last edited:
Campgrounds? Or hotels?

Know of a couple specific places in AZ that's BLM land, meaning you can usually camp safely for free. Tent stuff. No hookups, no water, but a grocery store usually <5 mi away FYI

AZ's Oatman Highway on a Busa looks like fun (35.0264, -114.3839). Never done it
View attachment 1679071

[EDIT]
And if you're planning on connecting with @WuzzaCBXRider in CA I would DEFINITELY try to crash that party FYI ;)
That's awesome, I will try to avoid hotels as much as I can, will have a small tent with me. In Arizona will go to the grand canyon and the 4 corners monument.

Making camp before dark, daily, and then breaking camp, at dawn, daily, gets very old on a long trip. Repacking the bike at dawn, daily with a tent etc, is a PITA. I much prefer motels/hotels with a comfy bed, a good remote and a nice bathroom and shower. Restaurants and gas stations are usually nearby too. I’ve only ridden some of your AZ and CA highways. I’ve been on 66 thru western AZ over the Dam into Vegas but no further. Buy a radar detector. AZ highway cops don’t play. If you’re stopped you’ll get a ticket. Oh, you couldn’t pay me to go to Mexico. There are now four major cartels fighting each other for territory, even into the resort areas. They are merciless.

Phoenix in mid-April will be getting warmer, but not bake-oven hot. My experience around Baja, many years ago, was mixed with respect to the quality of the roads.

MVC-013S-M.jpg

No "good" way to get through the great plains come to mind. Just endless slab. Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Durango are great. Highway 60 to Showlow, AZ is fun. Tombstone and Bisbee are fun as I recall. Death Valley is worth a look, which gets you close to Las Vegas.

IMG_2519-M.jpg

Phoenix in mid-April will be getting warmer, but not bake-oven hot. My experience around Baja, many years ago, was mixed with respect to the quality of the roads.

View attachment 1679670

No "good" way to get through the great plains come to mind. Just endless slab. Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Durango are great. Highway 60 to Showlow, AZ is fun. Tombstone and Bisbee are fun as I recall. Death Valley is worth a look, which gets you close to Las Vegas.

View attachment 1679671
Some of those routes I was looking at, some I didn't even knew about, thanks for the advice.

Back