Wife wants to ride with me-GSXR-600???

:poke: My wife just took the class and wanted a 600. I said let's start small an work our way up. Bought her an 08 250 kawi. Watched her take off on her first practice ride (Shaky). 600 would have been way too much. Six months of riding regurly and I think she will be ready to move up. When I stared the 600 almost overwhelmed me, it sure hurt me.:poke:

Dude, newer 600's are SICK little bikes, but I don't know your wife, you do. The margin for error is A LOT smaller on a 600 compared to a Ninja 250, or an SV 650. And from what everyone else says they barely lose any value as for resale after a year or so.

You don't really want a bike that "can keep up with the Busa", do you ? Or do you mean eventually ??

This is a tough one because if she adapts well the gixxer6, it will be a good fit very quickly. My wife started off with a Ninja 650r and it was a great learner, very very forgiving, the gixxer6 is not. After a parking lot tip, the MSF course and a season and half under her belt, bye bye Ninja hello gixxer.

Based on this personal experience and the chance to do it over again, i would still want her to do the starter bike again, more importantly she agrees. Best of luck!

P5030029.jpg

I picked up this GSXR-750 for $3000 last year with 11K miles. Gave it to my wife for valentines day. She had never rode a bike before. She took the class after I gave it to her and so far she is doing really well. We are taking it really slow though.

They are easy to balance, no torque like a sportster, and they stop easy. I figured it was a good bike to learn on.

No wonder it looks like i seen this bike before. At the pavillions she was there a while back, i remeber the switches lol. But its a great start bike, and if she drops it its not that bad.

Go with a Ninja 250 or an SV650
She needs to get her confidence up. Gsxr600 might scare her.
I started my wife on the SV650 after MSF, and she crashed 1st month. She was very cocky and thought she could keep up with me.
Long story short, she broke her clavicle and just now 2 years later becoming a much better rider. She still hasn't out grown the SV, great bike, smoth powerband!

<--- beginning to think I'm one of the VERY few that 'started small' in the general public.

Good luck. :whistle:

No, I think that this is a very common thread, at least a couple a week, and people who disagree and think that you start small and earn your way up with experience and skills are tired of arguing/debating with people that have already made up their minds anyway. I think a lot of newbies and non-riders have a general lack of respect for the capabilities of modern sportbikes and what the consequences of mistakes on these bikes can be....they maybe equate these bikes with high performance cars like Corvettes. Unlike a Corvette though, where if you get into a corner too hot and freeze up, white knuckle the steering wheel while closing your eyes and mashing the brakes to be saved by the air bag when you hit the guardrail/trees/ditch....on the bike you are in the morgue or the ER. It's not a toy or an ego booster it is a two wheeled vehicle with the capabilities of a F1 car and that can be very dangerous for those without the experience or skills to handle it. Every time I read one of these threads I just shake my head and wish the person good luck.:please:

We went today window shopping and she looked at a few bikes. She sat on the 2009 Ninja 250 for a minute and also tried on some gear. She decided that the Ninja is the right bike for her starting off. She also sat on the GSXR 600 and immediately complained about the weight of it. In a couple of years we might upgrade to the GSXR 600, but for now the Ninja 250 is the right bike. Thanks for all of the opinions and comments.

Back