Wife wants to ride with me-GSXR-600???

I picked up this GSXR-750 for $3000 last year with 11K miles. Gave it to my wife for valentines day. She had never rode a bike before. She took the class after I gave it to her and so far she is doing really well. We are taking it really slow though.

They are easy to balance, no torque like a sportster, and they stop easy. I figured it was a good bike to learn on.

That's a sweet looking older 750.:thumbsup: Did you buy it looking that good or did you mod it up?

Keep it under 8K RPM's and she'll be fine. Those things can get out of hand as they reach for that 15K mark.

It's a good choice for a first bike. My girl has a Kawi 650r and it's worked out great! Give her plenty of support and room and she'll do great! Enjoy your new riding partner! :thumbsup:

Cindy started on a ninja 500 for a few month's. She wanted a triumph 675. Riding the small bike did not last that long. Helibar's and lower the rear an inch or so and I'am sure she will be fine with the 600.The more comfortable it is the more it will be ridden. Msf is a good idea.

I would think a sv 650 would be a safer choice .but she will love the gsxr ,don't be suprised if you find your self riding it . I ride my 750 more than my busa.You a lucky man wish my wife would ride.

I would think a sv 650 would be a safer choice .but she will love the gsxr ,don't be suprised if you find your self riding it . I ride my 750 more than my busa.You a lucky man wish my wife would ride.

Give her time. mrsBW has finally come around to riding after (well I can't really say the number here for fear of my life) years.

Honestly, I'd be a bit nervous recommending someone go with a 600 supersport for a first bike. Used Ninja 500 or SV650 would prolly be better man. :thumbsup:

D

No. That is the answer I almost always give to this question as the people who ask it are almost always asking about middleweight and higher sportbikes for beginners. I have to assume that they are asking this question because they either know very little about bikes or they have doubts in their minds for some reason. I would go with your doubts. A GSXR600 is an excellent track bike so if she plans of doing track days in the future it would be a great bike in a couple or more years....otherwise I cannot think of one reason why she would want one other than the fact that it looks cool. Guys buy them early on in their riding days for ego and that generally overrules common sense and reasonable thinking but women are usually more practical. Has she sat on one and would she be comfortable riding it? An SV650 would be a much better choice or GS500 or any of the other less powerful not for track bred bikes. Sportbikes are generally good for looking at the scenery or day rides as they aren't comfortable for long periods and the seat to bar position has you in a tuck which does not promote viewing the environment around you. A more upright position would likely be more enjoyable for your wife. I also agree with all the posters who mention the cost of dumping a new sportbike in terms or bodywork....if she doesn't mind paying or riding a bike with beat up bodywork than I guess it doesn't matter. Then there is the insurance premiums on a new sportbike for a zero experience rider.....:please:

I am shopping today for a CBR125R for my 14 & 13 year old sons who are interested in track days. I am trading in my GSXR750 to get it. I can bet they have 10 times the 2 wheel experience and ability than your wife as he rides bmx, downhill mtn bike and dirt bikes (no offense to your wife!) but I would never dream of starting them off on track days on a GSXR600.....I value their safety and well being to much to add that extra risk.

Last edited:
My hubby just got me this one: it's a 600

photo-5-1.jpg

It's being lowered for me, since I'm also short. I"ll be doing my course in a few weeks.

Very nice. Good luck with the course. It's a breeze! :thumbsup:

My wife started on a Intruder 750 but switched to an SV650 a year later and has been riding it for 5 years and loves it. Tried to convince me to get a GSXR1000 but I knew I needed a Hayabusa.

Both of us are extremely happy! SV is a great bike. Not for my 200 lbs though.

We had to sell my wife's 600 due to the economy but she misses it every day. When we lowered it she loved it. It is powerfull and my wife had already ridden a 750 honda cruiser and a Kawasaki Mean Streak that she owned. If your wife wants this bike let her have it but coach her very well. If you get her something else that she really doesn't want, She won't be happy and YOU WON"T EITHER. Trust me I know from experience. Good Luck.

Wife used to ride a fatboy and she is only 5'5 110. But the first bike she LOVED was a gsxr 600. Hands down a pleasure to ride. She moved up now to a gsxr1000 but wishes she still had the 600. A great all around bike!

Many have already said it, but I will repeat. The SV650 is an amazing bike. It's been around for 10 years now and the v-twin is a great engine. Unless your wife is a budding racer gal, I would never put her on a GSX-R600. They are just not comfortable bikes, even for smaller stature people. She's going to really feel the pressure in her wrists after a few hours of riding due to the ergonomics. However, the SV650 provides a much more neutral upright riding position that is far more comfortable. I certainly hope you don't expect her to keep up with you on that or any other bike. You need to think the other way around. You should be slowing your pace to match her's. Best of luck man, just do the right thing.

We had to sell my wife's 600 due to the economy but she misses it every day. When we lowered it she loved it. It is powerfull and my wife had already ridden a 750 honda cruiser and a Kawasaki Mean Streak that she owned. If your wife wants this bike let her have it but coach her very well. If you get her something else that she really doesn't want, She won't be happy and YOU WON"T EITHER. Trust me I know from experience. Good Luck.

And therein lies the truth...be supportive, be patient, be cautious, be vigilant, be nurturing, be weary, be assertive, be carefull..but most of all be a husband, make your wife happy with what SHE wants, then help her the rest of the way...if she wants a 600 get her one, plus the class plus the gear etc etc etc...MANY people told me a 1000 was too much for my wife after coming off a sportster...i didnt argue, i got her the 1000 and she is so happy she floats on air and doing a damn fine job riding it thus far...good luck to her tell her WE support her regardless, cause frankly thats the real point of it all:thumbsup:

<--- beginning to think I'm one of the VERY few that 'started small' in the general public.

Good luck. :whistle:

I started on a GSXR 600 and it was easy for me. I don't know how tall your wife is, but, if she is a shorty just lower it so she can get her feet down and make it more comfy. I probably wouldn't buy a new one though. $3 or $4k off of craigslist is usually a pretty good deal.

Back