Wife is looking for first bike

Spreaking from personal experience...Don't recommend/suggest/or in any other way voice your preference of what she should get. Explain the options and let it go at that. She's going to get mad, but it really has to be her decision. If she wants to start with something small...say a little 250 or something, let her. If she's drawn to something that completely turns your stomach and you hate the sight it, let her get it anyway.
I Agree Di way to go:laugh:

I have to say that, feminism aside, I'm a little intimidated by Dan's riding experience and let that and his recommendations influence what I chose as my first bike. It was ultimately my decision, but I allowed myself to be influenced by wanting to "keep up" with him. It was unrealistic for me to think that my measly little MFS course would give me the ability to keep up with some who had been riding for, well...lots of years.
Thats only cause Dans a maniac sweetie:laugh:

She may have to work her way up to a 600 or 750. She may want to start with a little Honda 250...or even <gasp> a scooter!
HUUH???? OK now lay off the goofers young lady:laugh:

If she gets something that she isn't comfortable on, she isn't going to ride. You may think it's a waste of money to buy a bike now then another one in a year or two as she gets more accomplished as a rider. But remember, if you buy something she isn't comfortable on, you're going to have a bike in your garage gathering dust and she'll never want to ride. :thumbsup:True, but thats why I told him to let her get a Gixxer 600 so it wont sit in the garage:laugh:
I have always been drawn to Vespas, but for my first bike, I let myself be influenced into a Bandit 1200....waaaaaaaaay too big for me - too tall, too powerful, too everything. I dropped is about 3 times then never got on it again. Then moved to a V-star 650...better but still very heavy. Again, it sat in the garage gathering dust. Finally, last summer, I got a Vespa 250GTS. I love it. I ride the 50 mile round trip to work as often as I can. It's been through the Dragon - twice. Hellbender a couple times and the full stretch of the Cherahala. Amen! I can vouch for that!

When we got back from the Eureka Springs MNG last month, I felt it was time for me to try a little sporty. Over the past 3 weeks, I've ridden Dan's R6 almost 10 times and I'm getting more and more comfortable on it. To the point that I've taken over riding the '6 and he had to go get something new to go with the Busa. Umm..no one told me about this...Dan..we have to talk???
Remember, I doubt that anyone here got on a Busa or GSXR750 the very first time they rode. Think back, but I'm betting it was a little dirt bike that you all learned the basics on.
Um nope no dirt bikes here...Big Ol suzuki for me

Miss you!:laugh:

Get her a Gixxer 600 if thats what she wants....be responsible, be a husband (or boyfriend) and gear her up well.
Have TONS of patience with her
Drill, drill, drill and then drill some more
Encourage safe behaviors
Support, support and support with LOTS of patience

If you do ALL of these then she should be good on whatever she wants to start out up to a GSXR-600...anything like a Busa or 1K is just way too much too soon.

Anything less and youre just being selfish...give her good, honest advice and opinions about ALL her choices and let HER decide.

Like I said, if you do YOUR part, everything will go ok for her. My wife rides a 1K and shes barely 5ft tall, it took all the above for me to train her the right way but we did it and man can she ride now.

Good luck and be safe:thumbsup:

Lycon,

I sent you a PM about another situation. Let me know the details

Thanks...

Get her a Gixxer 600 if thats what she wants....be responsible, be a husband (or boyfriend) and gear her up well.
Have TONS of patience with her
Drill, drill, drill and then drill some more
Encourage safe behaviors
Support, support and support with LOTS of patience

If you do ALL of these then she should be good on whatever she wants to start out up to a GSXR-600...anything like a Busa or 1K is just way too much too soon.

Anything less and youre just being selfish...give her good, honest advice and opinions about ALL her choices and let HER decide.

Like I said, if you do YOUR part, everything will go ok for her. My wife rides a 1K and shes barely 5ft tall, it took all the above for me to train her the right way but we did it and man can she ride now.

Good luck and be safe:thumbsup:

agreed, this is what worked for me when my girl got a gsxr600 for her first. became a good rider.she dropped it once(low speed) but by that point she was so comfortable with what i had told her,the bike,and the gear. she picked it up, brushed herself off, and rode off. :thumbsup: if she has the confidence my .02 would say go for it, but be smart and go for it cautiously. nobody wants to hear about her going down.

I mainly agree with one thing, dont buy a first bike that you would not mind dumping. It will happen.

Also no one has mentioned insurance. I dont know what your finances are, but one thing to consider is the cost of a newbie female rider on a Busa or litterbike. Hey if you can afford it, go for it.

I started on the smallest Harley (an 883 Hugger), put all of 2K miles on it, bought a Busa...it all depends on what she'll be comfy on and what she feels she can handle. The Busa might be one of the largest sportbikes on the market, but weight wise, it's the same as the smallest Harley. Speed is definitely the difference, but that little twisty thing you wrap your right hand around is variable, so the Busa goes slow just as easily as it goes fast :laugh:

Only issue I had initially with the Busa was that mine needed to be lowered, so I dropped it 3x in my driveway before paying to have it lowered. Since then, no issues...not saying she should run out and buy a Busa, but it's not impossible to ride one if you know what you're getting in to and if you enjoy riding. Taking the MSF course will surely show her if riding is something she wants to do or not, then start looking for something that is comfy for her and that she thinks she'll enjoy riding. :thumbsup:

This post is not meant to be funny in any way....

Make sure her life insurance is paid up if she has never ridden and wants a GSXR 750 or a Busa as a first bike.

She can barely work a clutch and throttle and wants a 180 hp motorcycle? :whistle:

If your buying it, why don't you surprise her by buying the bike secretly and when she comes hope form the course have it sitting in the yard. That way, she has to accept what you get her! I just completed the course 2 months ago, and I never drove a bike in my life and I started with a '00 SV650. I think it's a great bike, however it might be too heavy for some people in slow maneuvers. A 250 seems like it would be a better choice for the first season.

My experience is limited though.

Since you have a Busa for 1st bike, go ahead and drop it and give her the repair bill. Maybe she won't want to repeat the costs if she drops her spiffy looking scoot. :laugh:

I started out on dirt bike, 3wheeler, quads. Moved up to an interceptor, gsxr, busa.

Definitely get the 600gsxr cause well you just can't go wrong. Small enough to not get bored with and big enough to still practice those skills. As for cruisers I've always been a passenger on those until demo days. I'd have to recommend the Victory Hammer S:thumbsup:

Good Luck! Don't tell her what to do take her to different shops and let her sit on sport bikes and cruisers hold them up how does the height feel, how does the weight feel etc... does she wanna lean or sit up this being a good reason to go sit on them. After the class she'll be able to make a better decision

Back