Wife wants to ride with me-GSXR-600???

gaeducator

Registered
Is this a good first bike? My wife has decided that she wants to ride with me. She wants a bike for her birthday. I have found a 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600 at a great price. She is scheduled to take the MSF course in July. Any opinions on this bike as a first bike?

I like mine. :thumbsup: Although it's technically a 2nd bike....but let's not go there. :whistle: Lucky girl to get one for her birthday! :cheerleader:

Here's mine....

IMG_3096 - Copy.JPG

until we founf a katana for 1/2 the price of a used gsxr-600, the wif and i was going to get her a gsxr600. my wif is 5'5" and those are going to need lowering if your wif is in that height range. but me thinks its a good first bike

I like mine. :thumbsup: Although it's technically a 2nd bike....but let's not go there. :whistle: Lucky girl to get one for her birthday! :cheerleader:

Here's mine....

How long you been riding? What is your main bike? I have a busa and looking for a bike that can keep up with my busa? A lot of riders on the other board says that a sportbike is not a good bike to start with.

until we founf a katana for 1/2 the price of a used gsxr-600, the wif and i was going to get her a gsxr600. my wif is 5'5" and those are going to need lowering if your wif is in that height range. but me thinks its a good first bike

Yeah it will need lowering. She is about 5'4". Thanks for the vote of confidence. A present for her 40th birthday.

How long you been riding? What is your main bike? I have a busa and looking for a bike that can keep up with my busa? A lot of riders on the other board says that a sportbike is not a good bike to start with.

Sorry...my bad.... 2nd bike I've OWNED. This is it now.

Got my license in 2003...started off on a Buell Blast....didn't ride for 6 yrs (don't ask :laugh: ) and took the course again for refresher. Sold the Buell in March for $2000 and bought this 02' for a few hundred more.

Obviously every bike is different, but mine was lowered a little. :whistle: I'm only 5'3"...with short legs. :banghead:

Its all going to depend on your wife. Have her sit on it. Hold it up and have her use all the controls. If she isn't comfortable with it, she won't ride it.

PS - Anyone want to buy a slightly used Bandit 1250S or low mileage Katana 750? :whistle:

i took the safety course with my wife it was fun they wouldnt let me use my busa that sucked but the courses are kewl, the instructors messed with me a lot cause they know i was experienced but i did everything they made me, good luck with the 600 thats a great first bike for a smaller person

Buy a used bike, it will get dropped, probably more than once.

Have her sit on a bunch of different bikes to see what feels comfortable.

My Wife started on a 97 Katana 600 - 4 bikes & 30K miles later she rides a Honda 600RR on the street & on the track.

Buy a used bike, it will get dropped, probably more than once.

Have her sit on a bunch of different bikes to see what feels comfortable.

My Wife started on a 97 Katana 600 - 4 bikes & 30K miles later she rides a Honda 600RR on the street & on the track.
+1 heck a Ninja 250 would be a fine starter bike or an SV series (2 cylinder). They have a better torque curve and are easier to ride IMO..

Suppose it is really relative to what she feels comfy on..

Its all going to depend on your wife. Have her sit on it. Hold it up and have her use all the controls. If she isn't comfortable with it, she won't ride it.

PS - Anyone want to buy a slightly used Bandit 1250S or low mileage Katana 750? :whistle:

:laugh:

I think it will be fine, just add some sliders for the stop drops.

Take the course first then decide what bike she wants/needs. If she seems likely she's gonna have a mishap like dropping it and such you want to buy something in accordance with that. AKA cheap. Not saying she won't become an A+ rider. Everyone has their own learning curve. Hence the never ending debate on choice stater bikes.

One less thing to be nervous about while riding helps out to improve riding skills. Meaning a nice shinny new bike that hits the ground while trying to stop or start out on a hill can cause fear of damaging it later on while riding. It's better to feel more secure(on a cheap used SV650) that if she drops it,you can just pick it up and ride on and not worry about the minor damage. Buying someone else beginner bike is a plus and is the reason they sell for about what you paid for them when it comes time to resell. If $$ isn't an issue then....

Smile,laugh it off,take pictures for the "Remember back when.." Be a "Positive" coach.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

I picked up this GSXR-750 for $3000 last year with 11K miles. Gave it to my wife for valentines day. She had never rode a bike before. She took the class after I gave it to her and so far she is doing really well. We are taking it really slow though.

They are easy to balance, no torque like a sportster, and they stop easy. I figured it was a good bike to learn on.

gsxr008.jpg

Decent first bike. I'm impressed you are getting her on the MSF track right off... nice move. Best lesson for her is to tell her she is invisible to everyone out there and to ride like it.... and don't try to keep up with the Busa. But of course when you are both out riding you will ride down to her level right... I thought so.

Enjoy and be safe.

..........you will ride down to her level right..

Thats a great point. She only rides with me. It allows me to stay in more control of the overall situation. I will change lanes and speeds based on things I see happening or anticipate. We choose our paths and travel times accordingly too.

Just my 2 cents:

The GSXR600 is a great bike but it's not a beginner bike. It's not as bad to start on as a modern supersport 750 or 1000 but it's still very powerful, very quick handling, and has very strong brakes. None of which are great for a beginner. And buying new for a beginner isn't the best idea either. Why not look at bikes like the SV650,GS500, GSX650F, FZ6(R), Ninja 250/500, Katana 600, Honda 599, or a more forgiving 600 like the YZF600R Thundercat? Just to name a few.

Last edited:
Back