Wife is looking for first bike

platinumnj

Registered
Hello boards...My wife really wants to ride motorcycles. She wants me to purchase her her first bike. However I am trying to explain to her that a hayabusa or a liter bike is NOT, I repeat not my preferred choice of bike for her. We are both going to the MSF course as soon as I get home, and this will be her first time EVER really riding on a bike. I told her she can get the Ninja 250 but I think she may go for the GSXR. Please help me out LOL:rofl:

Hello boards...My wife really wants to ride motorcycles. She wants me to purchase her her first bike. However I am trying to explain to her that a hayabusa or a liter bike is NOT, I repeat not my preferred choice of bike for her. We are both going to the MSF course as soon as I get home, and this will be her first time EVER really riding on a bike. I told her she can get the Ninja 250 but I think she may go for the GSXR. Please help me out LOL:rofl:
Ok call me whipped but the quickest way to get my wife to do something is to tell her She Can't. I don't know your wife but I might point her toward a used SV650 (sometimes referred to as a Halfabusa) But good luck with this as my wife had bought herself a Victory Touring Cruiser before she had ever ridden a motorcycle , Now she rides a her goldwing and routinely takes my (at least it used to be mine) B King out.

Sounds very familiar. Mine, however did agree to a 600r, at least for now. She is signed up for her course at the end of this month.

GSX 650F was my first and I would recommend it to anyone!! The bike is very forgiving and its more of a sport tourer in which the bars make you sit more upright. Trust me Bro, whatever she gets she does not wanna get a litre bike for her first!!

internet.jpg

my first bike was a sv1000s and after riding it for only a mere 3 months i went and got my 08 busa (what i wanted in the first place) but the dealer talked me into not getting the busa because it was to much bike for me, i feel that i wasted alot of money..... i wish i would have made it my first bike, i don't think it would be a bad first bike, it only goes as fast as you make it.

1. Never buy something you will regret being damaged. Better to get the mishaps out on something cheaper till experienced.

2. Never buy something you won't be able to pick up. Bikes just don't stay upright by themselves. Especially not fun if your leg is under the motorcycle.

3. Riding on a cool looking motorcycle isn't going to make you ride better.

4. Surf the web for pictures of motorcycle accidents and the riders. It's serious business being on two wheels.

5. If never drove anything with a clutch before,then that's just another thing you will end up having to learn while driving a motorcycle. Improper execution will lead you into dealing with issues 1-4. Picture an infant learning how to walk. :laugh:

I'd wait until after she takes the course and see what she feels like she needs then. The 250's have plenty of power and a decent resell value.

A 750 is nothing but a stroked out 600 for the most part. The motorcycles are identical other then engines. No point increasing her chance for a mishap for some extra power. 750 averaging $1k more in price to.

You are absolutely right about that. My first official bike that I owned is a 2009 Busa, but I'm also 6ft 2in 315 lbs. i've ridden dirt bikes my entire life, and on/off road dual sports. As long as i respect her she will respect me you know

But my wife on the other hand I am a little nervous, but she does know how to clutch and throttle from when she used to drive my car all the time too...

All you can do is try and give her the benefit of your experience, but at the end of the day she's the one who has to ride it so it's needs to be something she wants to ride.

I would not let her get a bike she can't physically handle weight wise. If she got a Busa leaned a little over while sitting stopped, it will keep going and crush her leg. 500+ lbs is a ***** to pick up. She can handle a 650F and pick it up by herself with some training on proper procedure, plus she can run the piss out of it and not hurt it. She will learn throttle control, WFO control, stopping and general riding on a bike that can take some learning abuse. Then if she wants a more powerful bike she can have it. She also needs full gear. Plus if she does drop it a few times, you will not be out as much a bashing Busa and 750 plastics. Anyway, I can't see her starting on a full on sport bike until she has some experience.

Also, when you ride with her, never take off and leave her in the dust, she will try to keep up with you and an accident will happen. Never show her she has a slower bike. Good Luck with your purchase!

Look in this section for the title "Accidents, funny but true". These are both from inexperienced riders. The Harley guy hits the brakes but doesn't stop, I believe from the sound of it he still had the throttle on, the GSXR guy was not ready for slippery tires. Instead of stopping he slides and over corrects and dumps it. BOTH from inexperience and too much bike. That is EXACTLY how the bikes get road rash with no experience riders.

Good Luck with the wife!

How about a 650 S-40 Savage. First, it's very light and a lot of fun. Being a thumper, its looks get a lot of attention. Hard to stall, throttle is forgiving. Plus it's very cheap.

Suggestion, "Honey, you're the most important thing in my life and I'm concerned about you getting hurt really bad getting used to driving motorcyles on a very powerful street bike. For me, would you learn to ride on the Savage, and after a year's riding experience, you'll better know what you want and can buy it. "

d-side.JPG

motor.JPG

side.JPG

Tank.JPG

how about a ninja 650r? Looks good and is easy going. Even a 600 supersport is a little much to handle for a first time rider.

I'm sort of in the same situation with my girl. I've been looking at 250s as they become available myself. They're relatively inexpensive bikes and fit the criteria for all the above posts. I plan on making the decision for her the first time around, as I'm the one with the knowledge and experience when it comes to this, and she understands that. When next season rolls around, and she's got it mastered, then we'll upgrade and she can pick out what she wants then...at the earliest.

On a side note:
In my town, there's a girl who rides a smaller cruiser and it literally has training wheels!!! I've gotta get a pic next time I see her out. I'm sure everyone gives her all kinda $#!t...but I bet she enjoys the ride. And really...isn't that what it's all about?

Inexperience on a bigger bike only makes the asphalt crayon more permanent.

Get her a Gixxer 600 if thats what she wants....be responsible, be a husband (or boyfriend) and gear her up well.
Have TONS of patience with her
Drill, drill, drill and then drill some more
Encourage safe behaviors
Support, support and support with LOTS of patience

If you do ALL of these then she should be good on whatever she wants to start out up to a GSXR-600...anything like a Busa or 1K is just way too much too soon.

Anything less and youre just being selfish...give her good, honest advice and opinions about ALL her choices and let HER decide.

Like I said, if you do YOUR part, everything will go ok for her. My wife rides a 1K and shes barely 5ft tall, it took all the above for me to train her the right way but we did it and man can she ride now.

Good luck and be safe:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Spreaking from personal experience...Don't recommend/suggest/or in any other way voice your preference of what she should get. Explain the options and let it go at that. She's going to get mad, but it really has to be her decision. If she wants to start with something small...say a little 250 or something, let her. If she's drawn to something that completely turns your stomach and you hate the sight it, let her get it anyway.

I have to say that, feminism aside, I'm a little intimidated by Dan's riding experience and let that and his recommendations influence what I chose as my first bike. It was ultimately my decision, but I allowed myself to be influenced by wanting to "keep up" with him. It was unrealistic for me to think that my measly little MFS course would give me the ability to keep up with some who had been riding for, well...lots of years.

She may have to work her way up to a 600 or 750. She may want to start with a little Honda 250...or even <gasp> a scooter! If she gets something that she isn't comfortable on, she isn't going to ride. You may think it's a waste of money to buy a bike now then another one in a year or two as she gets more accomplished as a rider. But remember, if you buy something she isn't comfortable on, you're going to have a bike in your garage gathering dust and she'll never want to ride.

I have always been drawn to Vespas, but for my first bike, I let myself be influenced into a Bandit 1200....waaaaaaaaay too big for me - too tall, too powerful, too everything. I dropped is about 3 times then never got on it again. Then moved to a V-star 650...better but still very heavy. Again, it sat in the garage gathering dust. Finally, last summer, I got a Vespa 250GTS. I love it. I ride the 50 mile round trip to work as often as I can. It's been through the Dragon - twice. Hellbender a couple times and the full stretch of the Cherahala.

When we got back from the Eureka Springs MNG last month, I felt it was time for me to try a little sporty. Over the past 3 weeks, I've ridden Dan's R6 almost 10 times and I'm getting more and more comfortable on it. To the point that I've taken over riding the '6 and he had to go get something new to go with the Busa.

Remember, I doubt that anyone here got on a Busa or GSXR750 the very first time they rode. Think back, but I'm betting it was a little dirt bike that you all learned the basics on.

Last edited:
Back