Why you should join Facebook - even if you hate it.

icemansid

Donating Member
Registered
You should join Facebook just to protect your own identity. if you are not officially on facebook i can

Create an account and use your identity
Start friending people and posting negative things
post and tag pictures of you doing things that should not be on the Internet
bad stuff continues....

If you are on Facebook, you can

Protect your identity simply by playing squatter on your own name.
Approve any photos that someone may take of you and choose to post on Facebook
More easily connect with distant friends and relatives

I fought joining FB for a while, but to be honest, if I have "friends" that are nothing but drama, I just block 'em...

I am not one to post the minutia of life...nothing worse than "I'm so busy I'm having to post on FB while I'm pooping!" Yes, I've seen those types of posts, and yes, those people are no longer in my group of friends :banghead:

It is what you make it...don't like what's up there, hide it or delete them :) It's brought more good than not in my life, helped me reconnect with friends from so long ago, and keeps me up to speed on things I care about...

I use it almost exclusively to following racing teams and high performance shops from around the world. I've slowly starting hiding drama from my feed as well. Thanks to FB ive been able to follow Carpenter Racing and their new quest for speed and Bonneville... Haven't heard about that yet? its pretty frikin cool!

Thanks to FB I was able to track down the gentleman that saved my oldest son when he fell in the freezing Yukon River during the Yukon Quest a couple of years ago. I found the Yukon Quest group on FB and posted up what had happened, and in no time I was able to find the guy to thank...pretty cool if you ask me :)

I like it for my close friends and family. I was able to find my half brother after 15 years of no contact with him. To me that's worth it alone

I think i'll still pass on the whole FB thing. People, friends, and family that know me knows that I want nothing to do with it so create away but everybody will know it's B.S.

I create my own drama on FB, then respond to it myself. That way I have no one to blame but me.....:laugh:

Its not to bad as long as you get all the friends sending you invitations for games blocked, I don't think having one stops someone from making one in your name tho. There is lots of drama but you can easily avoid it. I use mine to store photos and share them with friends :thumbsup:

I found my best friend from the 70s. we were 15 when his parents got stationed inTurkey. 51 years old when we saw each other again. prettt cool! I've found alot of people from school and stay in contact with family , most importantly my daughter in Iraq.

Mama say "Facebook is the DEVIL!"

I don't know what the OP is talking about when he says squat on your own name -- nothing prevents any number of people from creating FB accounts with the same name. If someone wants to create an account with my name to trash me, my creating an unused account would not prevent that.

I know three People named Mark Brown; two of them work in the same office, and the third is a neighbor of mine. All three of them live in the same city, and all of them have FB accounts.

Squatting on your name is not a realistic way to prevent buffoonery, you have to actively manage the account, put your pictures up, friend your friends, etc. If you aren't interested in doing that (which I am not) it doesn't make any sense at all to set up an account to prevent someone else from doing it.

--Sky

Its not just your name but your online presence. your 3 Mark Browns all have an individual online presence. Im talking about some that creates and account as you using your picture and your history.

hahaha..i saw this pic on FB today. HAD to share

facebook drama.jpg

facebook drama.jpg

id like to add that its very effective comm for loved ones during emergencies. once you get net access to simply posting "im ok" during a disaster is the best way to ease fears when phones are down or lost etc. the only people that would see the message are those close to you and would be checking for you. as far as identity goes the people you add as friends will know its you and you can set it so that only they see your info. if youre into the whole privacy thing.

Its not just your name but your online presence. your 3 Mark Browns all have an individual online presence. Im talking about some that creates and account as you using your picture and your history.

how would having your own FB stop that? it wont. some one could be using your pic and name right now on a myriad of social media and unless you google yourself constantly and police you would never know or even then be able to stop it. if you wanna be a celeb you can put "the real" in fron of your name lol but that wont stop dupes and imposters

how would having your own FB stop that? it wont. some one could be using your pic and name right now on a myriad of social media and unless you google yourself constantly and police you would never know or even then be able to stop it. if you wanna be a celeb you can put "the real" in fron of your name lol but that wont stop dupes and imposters

FB has facial recognition now.

Back