Another Parenting Post - Dad shoots laptop after Facebook post

People may say its Extreame, but maybe you have to be Extreame before you child goes out and says crap like that to someone that will take her life. And being grounded for 3 months, back in my childhood if I would have wrote that I wouldn't wake up out a coma for 3 months LOL

My opinion.... The decisions he makes on how to deal with his daughter is out of scope for me personally. I don't care one way or the other. Nothing criminal occurred, he did not belittle her just used the same technology she used. Would I do it that way, no, do I condemn him for it, absolutely not. I have seen some really good parents that raised 3 out of 4 kids that were mature, incredibly respectful and yet there was that one that was different. We don't know what occured up to this point either, much like the police abuse situation we are seeing a tiny piece of the situation. This man could have been the nicest most caring father ever and this video was completely out of his character or he could be a raving lunatic most of the time and this video is his calm side. There is no recipe for raising kids, I do know you do the best you can do with what you have and what you have learned. I would rather see a father that is trying to be a parent then to just allow her to grow up allowing her to control the family... So while I may not ever do what he did I can see why and he gets some credit for trying to make a difference....

cap

kids need to learn respect in todays society... they have no fear of their parents

That's because most parents are ill equipped to to the deed or are too self absorbed.
Being a good parent takes considerable time and effort. You have to want to do it and make it important for yourself and the child.

While I love my daughter (and guns) and want to raise my daughter properly, I thought he went a little too far. Smash it with a hammer, cut it in half on a table saw, but don't pull out a gun and shoot it in a) obviously a residental neighborhood and b) post it on youtube...must be in Texas :)

Kinda stupid, while totally within his rights; to destroy upwards of a thousand dollars worth of computer was pretty senseless. When he has to write a check for a new one (eventually), he'll probably think "you know, I shoudn't have done that"...

Lastly, the teaching lession from this event to his daughter doesn't need to be "Guns can solve problems that can't be solved otherwise" and while true sometimes :) not something he needs her to be ready to understand yet. She might just decide to put 9 rounds in HIM to solve HER problem...

I agree 100% with you GNBRETT- F@!k Facebook, it should be banned.
As far as i'm concerned its just an electronic form of stalking.

Go Dad, he's the man...:laugh:

That guy is my new hero! :rofl:

And why do people keep saying he did this in a residential neighborhood or are worried where the bullets went? The guy has acreage in the middle of nowhere and he shot at the freakin' ground! I live outside of the city limits, have neighbors all down my street and can still LEGALLY fire a gun on my property anytime I feel like it.

I think its funny and its about time a parent shows who is the boss in the home.So tired of parents giving into kids that feel they are owed something more than a roof over theyre heads, good warm food to eat, nice clean clothes and a decent home enviroment.My son was the same way.Was nice when i got him a nice gift, then talk smack behind my back so we stopped with the stuff and told him to start earning it.Kids have no respect or remorse for what they do and this generation is supposed to be our future.We are in trouble if thats true.

i like the guys style.

I will say this though, if you listen to what he says, the kid comes from a broken family. Broken families can cause all kinds of problems. What was one has become 2. The values and morals are probably different for each household. This makes it very confusing for kids. I am sure her life hasnt been what she wanted it to be. No kid wants to see their parent seperated and they hate it even more when one or the other gets with someone new. I feel for the families involved. The girl should have used better judgment. On the flip side i do understand the fathers actions as well.

That guy is a total tool . He even has a cleaner for his lazy ass so how the hell is his daughter suppose to learn anything let alone respect the moron .

Pay you for chores? Are you out of your mind?" he says. I find that amusing , doesn't he have a cleaner and pays them for doing chores ?

I give my kids money for doing things . Mowing lawns ect ,we call it earning your pocket money here .

I bet this morons goes to restaurants then gives tips to
waitresses just for doing there job that they are paid to do anyway .

i knew when i first read and saw the video many would have different opinions of his actions... i followed the link and read his facebook and i tell you...how he responds to all the different views and actions that are now comeing down the pipe. (cbs offering him a reality show, people donating to his MDA charity work, police investigation, and now the inevitable children services investigation) it would be safe to say... i like this guy...he may be gruff on the outside but is STICKING TO HIS MORALS and it shows in how he views things...take a moment to read his fb page and i think you will get a better view of this whole thing.... and yes...i cant say the gun was the best choice...but the action is commended in my opinion..and im even useing the phrase "need some holes in the notebook" when the kids throw something stupid at me lol

All I have to say to those saying the girl is like that because of bad parenting skills !! You're wrong! I say it as a son because I don't have kids yet!! But, my dad used to say the same things when me and my brothers where little and he saw a teenager acting crazy. After me and my siblings reached puberty he had to swallow his words.!! We were all raised the same way. But,..................... Let's just say my brothers have done things that even I want to just go crazy sometimes!!!!

I dont see anything wrong with it. no body was in harms way and he apparently thought that this would get the point across and im sure it did. Im pretty sure all kids gripe about there chores, I know I did but I didnt do it on my computer with a very computer smart dad either.:laugh:
as far as the comments on the bad parenting skills, I 100% disagree. you can not judge that unless you are there. There is always one in the crowd and that goes to families as well. I come from a large family and I can say all of us being raised the same way I dont understand how my parents dealt with "that one" in the family.

$1.00 a round? I would have used a wad cutter. And a waste of a good laptop. He did say it would be worse.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

That guy is my new hero! :rofl:

And why do people keep saying he did this in a residential neighborhood or are worried where the bullets went? The guy has acreage in the middle of nowhere and he shot at the freakin' ground! I live outside of the city limits, have neighbors all down my street and can still LEGALLY fire a gun on my property anytime I feel like it.

Just because you legally can, doesn't mean you should....Not a good way to make friends with your neighbors.

I support this guy 100%, he decided to set the fictional story she wrote straight. I'll bet it caused some of her facebook followers to pause for a moment and think about reality...well, probably not. I hope he follows through and does not reconsider and buy her a new laptop. That is another problem today, punishment isn't followed through. Her Ipod would be next and her phone after that if I was in the same position and she continued with her attitude. His point is that she needs to listen to what he is saying, not a teen girls strongpoint. Believe me, after raising two sons and many girlfriend's children I have realized that they do not care unless you get their attention. I am sure initially all she will see is the destruction of her laptop, not that he did it to make a point that she needed to learn.

If shooting her laptop does make a difference then it was well worth the wasted value of ammo & laptop. It doesn't look like a new I-7, 17" monster...probably only worth a couple of hundred on a good day.

In my opinion, kids today are coddled way too much and are not anywhere ready for life @ 18. My current GF's son is soon to be 17 and doesn't know how to cook, clean, has never earned his own money for anything, gets lost in a place he's lived for years...all I see is trouble coming. He wants to be a Dr. but has no idea exactly what that will take. Don't get me wrong, he's a good kid, decently intelligent but does not have even a slight grasp on reality. At least I have a little over a year to help get his feet underneath him.

My youngest is a Master Certified RV Tech at the age of 25. He is down here for a couple of weeks helping me in my shop during his winter lay-off. He has never been to a day of college but takes home well above average for his career field and it's all through dedication and hard work. He loves what he does, has one son and another baby on the way with a beautiful wife with a great career of her own. He has turned out much better than I did at his age! lol My oldest son is back in college...again. He has some grand plans, just waiting for them to take hold. I may be a hard-ass but I am very proud of both my boys. It wasn't easy and it's not all cake and smiles but something I did must have made sense.

After sleeping on it I would have done one thing different. I would have filmed myself driving around in car with daughter and laptop on her lap. Then the poorest most needy looking kid I found I'd pull up swipe the laptop outta her lap and said 'hey man merry Christmas' and given it to him/her. It would have made a better lesson to her and been a better way to get rid of it.

Not faulting him but im with BoB, his to do with as he pleases but he could have done it a bit better.

I will tell you there are a LOT of things I DIDN'T DO because I knew my dad would kick my azz if I did, and it took me til 25 or so to figure that out for myself. Pain avoidance therapy does work.

Lack of respect or authority with your parents grows into lack of respect for the police, the law, your neighbors, your boss, society, etc. We have raised a generation of self-obsessed kids who want and want but don't want to work/stuggle for it, and are paying the price for it - OWS a classic example.

Not that raising two in any way makes me qualified as a parent, but I'll argue this point with anyone.

Your kids will do.... and make you do things you would have sworn could never happen before you had them.

Back