Another Parenting Post - Dad shoots laptop after Facebook post

jphilipson

Registered
Another good or bad parenting post - you tell me?

Dad shoots laptop after Facebook post
2012-02-10 22:54

Washington - A video of an angry American father pumping nine bullets from a handgun into his daughter's laptop has gone viral on YouTube and sparked an impassioned online debate over his parenting skills.

Tommy Jordan, of North Carolina, explains in the video, which he titled "Facebook Parenting: for the troubled teen" that he was upset by a Facebook post by his 15-year-old daughter in which she complained about her parents.

"This is for my daughter, Hannah, and more importantly for all her friends on Facebook who thought her little rebellious post was cute," Jordan says, speaking into a video camera apparently set up on a tripod.

Wearing a cowboy hat and smoking a cigarette, the video opens with Jordan sitting in a chair and reading with unconcealed outrage from the Facebook post, in which his daughter complains about having to do chores around the house.

"Pay you for chores? Are you out of your mind?" he says. "You don't have that hard a life but you're about too."

Jordan describes the Facebook post as "disrespectful" and says he's "going to put a stop to it."

He then picks up the camera and points it at a laptop lying on the ground.

"That right there is your laptop," he says. "This right here is my .45."

Jordan then begins to pepper the laptop with bullets.

Pausing at one point, he addresses his daughter: "You have to pay me back for these too because these are about a dollar apiece."

After plugging the laptop full of holes Jordan tells his daughter "you can have a new laptop when you buy a new laptop.

"Hope you've enjoyed your little fiasco on Facebook," he concludes.

The video, which was posted to YouTube on Wednesday, has attracted 2.1 million views in just two days, been "liked" around 62 000 times and "disliked" around 4,800 times.

It has also spawned a debate about Jordan's parenting style, gathering more than 36 000 comments on YouTube and thousands more on his Facebook page.

Most approve of his actions although by no means all.

"You are one very twisted dude. I hope you get some help with your anger problem before you use that gun on someone, like your daughter," wrote Jim Freedom on Facebook.

Another Facebook poster, Rachelle Tolbert, told Jordan "Great job".

"Anyone who thinks you're an awful parent is either a teen [no explanation needed ther], or a parent who lets their kids walk all over them. I think your vid was effective and reasonable," Tolbert said.

"As a father of now grown children, there is very little that will get the attention of a teenage girl... I bet this has, Good job!" said Edward Harrison.

- SAPA

Have to watch it. But on the face it seems a bit over the top.
Where was laptop? Outside? Hopefully he at least practiced some sort of safety to make sure where rounds went once they passed thru?

It was a good retrospect to the level of frustration, that has happened in America.

Watched it.

Dads my hero!
Daughters got a sever lack of respect and is probably heading toward suicide.
Mom said 'if you got one left put it in there for me' :)

Safe environment, no danger.

Well done. That'll teach her!

Now..

Grounding for three months? Seems a bit extreme but nothing wrong with it.
He seems sane and intelligent and fed up. Good for him.

And 'linda' the cleaning lady. If she ain't the maid than what is she :whistle:

Watched it.

Dads my hero!

I have to wonder what lead up to it though. "Good" parents don't raise kids that need such extreme punishment. And if this video is a demonstration of his previous behavior, I'm not at all surprised she's a bit whacked. But on the outside looking in through such a small window, who can say?

Blanca Busa;2826728 And 'linda' the cleaning lady. If she ain't the maid than what is she :whistle:[/QUOTE said:
You made an intelligent post right until this point.

If you listened to his explanation , he told you it was a barter arragement. ( But you infer a dirty sleezyness to it. )

Seems he has a woodshop and other things like raising money for the MDA society.

I guess his lesson of what you post on the internet is there forever didn't rub off .

Here is his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii/posts/299559803434210#!/tommyjordaniii

You made an intelligent post right until this point.

If you listened to his explanation , he told you it was a barter arragement. ( But you infer a dirty sleezyness to it. )

Seems he has a woodshop and other things like raising money for the MDA society.

I guess his lesson of what you post on the internet is there forever didn't rub off .

Here is his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii/posts/299559803434210#!/tommyjordaniii

Yes I heard it was some sort of barter arrangement. We have same thing. My wife does her nails and she cleans our home. Just seemed as if he was defending her a bit much. Then again he was pissed with a loaded 1911 so who knows.

Jp. It is difficult to judge based upon this but his calm demeanor with intelligent speech seems to give him creedance. If he was a loon it would have come out. Maybe he'd be yelling or something? Would it have gotten 10 million views so quick if he used a hammer? Would anyone be asking same questions? Only in today's anti-gun society I think is everyone up in arms. And now because he used a gun law enforcement and local da will find some reason to charge him and confiscate all his guns. Just wait its coming.

Jp. It is difficult to judge based upon this but his calm demeanor with intelligent speech seems to give him creedance. If he was a loon it would have come out. Maybe he'd be yelling or something? Would it have gotten 10 million views so quick if he used a hammer? Would anyone be asking same questions? Only in today's anti-gun society I think is everyone up in arms. And now because he used a gun law enforcement and local da will find some reason to charge him and confiscate all his guns. Just wait its coming.

It's difficult to judge by the 8 minute look into someone else's life we see there. Without seeing the last 16 years, who knows the real story? I can only judge it based on my parenting experience. I cannot see any reason I'd ever need to shoot my son's laptop. But my son is respectful and thankful of the things he has. So it leads me to think that had she been raised better shooting a laptop would not be needed.

Jp I'm doing my best to raise my daughter (actually step daughter). Good schools, I teach her right from wrong and ask her to give as much respect as she can. She's still a rebellious teen. My parents did even a better job than I and I did all they asked me not to. Sometimes a kid is gonna be the way they are no matter what the parents do? Maybe this is the case. He seems like a decent gent. I sure like his accent :)

Grounding for three months does seems a bit stiff but who can say what isn't these days?
Using the gun has brought much more attn to this than if he had just smashed it or used something else I think.

At least it wasn't six minutes of him slapping her with a belt yelling and screaming like the judge in Tx.

I feel for the guy. Daughter is a handful. He has had enough. Good for him. Too bad the Gov`t won`t let parents put their foot up the kids arse anymore.

Maybe they should have been more proactive in their parenting techniques :dunno::dunno:

Waste of expensive ammo, perfectly good laptop and a excellent display of self promoted stupidity and immaturity. That'll learn her...:whistle:

Watched it.

Dads my hero!

Now..

Grounding for three months? Seems a bit extreme but nothing wrong with it.
He seems sane and intelligent and fed up. Good for him.

And 'linda' the cleaning lady. If she ain't the maid than what is she :whistle:

+1000 I am 100% behind this guy!

good 4 him. I hate f-en FB. peoples whole lives seem to revolve around it.

more drama results from FB posts then anywhere else. people get fired, demoted, suspended, divorced, raped, asaulted, arrested all over what they say FB. GET A LIFE people...... I have no FB account and never will. the last thing I want anyway is fat ugly annoying chics from high school bothering me....:whistle:

Jp I'm doing my best to raise my daughter (actually step daughter). Good schools, I teach her right from wrong and ask her to give as much respect as she can. She's still a rebellious teen. My parents did even a better job than I and I did all they asked me not to. Sometimes a kid is gonna be the way they are no matter what the parents do? Maybe this is the case. He seems like a decent gent. I sure like his accent :)

Grounding for three months does seems a bit stiff but who can say what isn't these days?
Using the gun has brought much more attn to this than if he had just smashed it or used something else I think.

At least it wasn't six minutes of him slapping her with a belt yelling and screaming like the judge in Tx.

I dunno, the part that got me is he was trying to teach her a lesson about respecting the value of things, by blowing holes in one of those things? Seems a bit cooky to me. Not to mention the smoking in a video that he posted on Facebook to teach kids how to act.

The punishment fit the crime. Who knows the real story but from everything shown, I feel that this is what most should do with these kinds of situations.

I mean some parents let their kids curse them out like bigbaddodge's post the other day. People need to grow a pair like this guy.

Maybe they should have been more proactive in their parenting techniques :dunno::dunno:

Waste of expensive ammo, perfectly good laptop and a excellent display of self promoted stupidity and immaturity. That'll learn her...:whistle:

Exactly.

I'm sure his parenting skills here has now made her a perfectly-behaved child. :whistle:

Way to go Cowboy Jordan:thumbsup:
Thats the problem with most teens these days they are F'n Lazy!! All they want to do is sit on there azz and create drama on FB, Chatrooms.
Its his laptop he paid for it so its his right to put bullets through it. Hell Ive shot stuff, slammed stuff that pissed me off. Atleast he isnt beating his kid. Its a way for him to vent his fusterations without harming others.

I think he could have made more of an impact on her if after he posted his rant, wipe the hard drive clean and make her donate her lap top to an organization for troubled kids along with volunteering about 40 hours at this organization. Then she will be very GRATEFUL she has a house with floors to clean and parents who care about her and LOVE her.

Back