Why one rotor?

My buddy does it because he has chromed wheels he wants to be able to see. He said it dosen't make much difference in stopping to him. I will keep two up front though.

If you spend $3g's on a set wheels for your Busa??
Make sure you paint a mural of Michaelangelo's "Creation" on the side of it.
Then put spikes all over it.
Lower it so you can't go up a curb, can't go over a speed bump and couldn't turn around in an empty Costco parking lot.
Stretch it out to take it to the drag strip once or twice a year.
Make sure you keep the miles real low, too- high miles are for suckers!!!!

I'll stop there.

Two rotors up front FTW.

Damn that sounds like a nice bike.

they do it for looks. Most drag guys are trying to add weight to the frt to keep it down

I only have one rotor on my busa..I do it mainly for cleaning the front wheel..As I have chrome wheels..I know both are better.I have ran them this way for many years..They still stop good and long as you do not heat the brakes up..

Once you have upgraded brakes, the single rotor stops fine. I've done it in the past to try it out.

Busa's are heavy, no way around that. They need both front rotors to stop from high speeds quickly for trackdays and other spirited riding. 95% of street riders wouldn't know the difference with one or two. Just because the factory didn't do it doesn't mean it's bad.

Wish I could upgrade my calipers/rotors,not degrade my brake system as a whole. Two rotors came with the bike for a reason.Pads and lines helped, but there is always better options available.:beerchug:

I wouldn't do this either what's the point. Would you Rather look good or be able to stop when your riding behind a car and traffic suddenly stops.

I wouldn't do this either what's the point. Would you Rather look good or be able to stop when your riding behind a car and traffic suddenly stops.

What's wrong with showing a 2nd rotor? Do folks think that rotors look "bad"? I've always thought they look kinda cool in a mechanical sorta way. Oh, and I like that the rotor FORM gives me the FUNCTION of good braking.

Maybe we should start removing our chains to save ourselves the eyesore of such a oily mess. It's not really needed, right? :whistle:

What's wrong with showing a 2nd rotor? Do folks think that rotors look "bad"? I've always thought they look kinda cool in a mechanical sorta way. Oh, and I like that the rotor FORM gives me the FUNCTION of good braking.

Maybe we should start removing our chains to save ourselves the eyesore of such a oily mess. It's not really needed, right? :whistle:

Chrome Chain Gaurd :laugh:

So by your thought process there should only FUNCTION and no FORM? There are 3 or 4 threads out there on this subject and they draw the same retarded responses. I personally know someone who has 30k + on his one rotor not to mention the multitude of folks who run FORM based mods on their bikes right here on this forum. Why MOD at all if you're not into FORM? Yes, It's a brake rotor and the factory put it there for a reason. Got it. But what about aftermarket swing arms and the tons of other parts that degrade performance and safety on these bikes? Think about it....besides, you're not doing it so why speak negatively about it?

P.S. I have all three rotors on my bike.

P.S.S. Got your back Rock:beerchug:

Last edited:
I was looking at bikes online and I began to wonder, why do people take off a brake rotor on front? Will this not decrease your stopping ability? If you guys could offer me some insight on this I would greatfully appreciate it. Thanks in advance....

Strictly poseur factor.

Its like a thug-wannabe with one bling grill and the other on a layaway. :laugh:

So by your thought process there should only FUNCTION and no FORM? There are 3 or 4 threads out there on this subject and they draw the same retarded responses. I personally know someone who has 30k + on his one rotor not to mention the multitude of folks who run FORM based mods on their bikes right here on this forum. Why MOD at all if you're not into FORM? Yes, It's a brake rotor and the factory put it there for a reason. Got it. But what about aftermarket swing arms and the tons of other parts that degrade performance and safety on these bikes? Think about it....besides, you're not doing it so why speak negatively about it?

P.S. I have all three rotors on my bike.

P.S.S. Got your back Rock:beerchug:

well put:thumbsup:

I went from two rotors to one and i dont see any difference in stopping power. Not to say that there is or isnt, but my bike stops just fine. No issues, no worries.

One rotor works just fine as long as you don't put much demand on the single rotor! Pussyfootin around town and cruisin the speed limit you'll probably never know the difference. It's when you place demand on the brakes such as twisty time or a track day the one rotor set up fails miserably on performane.

I can boil the brake fluid on the "Big Girl" with two rotors in one track session. Take one rotor off and I'm doubtful she would have any brakes left by the tenth lap?

There is nothing wrong with one rotor. Lots of harleys run a single rotor. Just don't expect the results from lever input to be as good as two rotors. :beerchug:

Let's see, 3 groups forming here....one rotor looks cool, only one rotor compromises performance and "it's not for me but I allow others to make that choice".

I guess when it all plays out, it's about what works for you. I do grin, however, when I try to imagine a lowered, 12" over, single rotor Hayabusa trying to "keep a pace going" in the mountains. Raydog

two rotors is overkill....

one rotor can stop the bike just fine, now doing multiple laps on a racetrack or your local canyon will eventually heat the single rotor faster...because it is working much harder than the dual setup. heat is what makes brakes fail....

you can roll around town with one rotor and still have enough brake to stop when that SUV pulls out in front of you...why? the limit to braking is traction. whether you have two rotors or one....the amount of traction at the front wheel is constant.

what does that mean? even with only one rotor, you can overpower your traction by grabbing a handfullof brake....so while it may give some of you a feeling of safety, in case of emrgency stop there is no difference.

the number one factor in braking is not the number of rotors...but the riders skill. few riders actually learn to use max braking w/o locking the front wheel...you can tell these guys because they say stupid things like "i decided to lay it down".....which really means i grabbed too much brake and was on my ass before i could recover.

PS: drag racers run one rotor up front...and are not posers.

Back