question to all brake expert

dsmdave

Registered
hi all went out riding today about 1hrs came home. while riding i hear tic. tic noise around front wheel. when i pull in my drive way. checking front brake. feel the right rotors it was hot then feel the left rotors it was cold, what could be the problem in the left calipers? the back rotors was hot too. any comment and suggesstion ? thank you in advance. dav

The tic tic tic would indicate bent rotor, but if that was true you wouldn't have front brakes without pumping them up. Someone will have an answer.

If you look between the body and left front fork you can typically spot a bent rotor.

Have you pulled the caliper and checked the pads
rock.gif

need to raise the front and check the wheel spin while on the brakes. Your probably right that the rotor is bent although the stock rotors are pretty strong. If the brake grabs while spinning it, remove the right caliper and put something in between the pads and spin check it again. Good Luck.

Does it pull to the right when you apply the front brakes ONLY or feel funny ? Ticking could be a brake piston not returning to it's off pressure position and has the brake pad barely touching the rotor. This would be easy to check, just look and spin the front tire and look
SHOCKED.gif
. It really sounds like the left pistons are NOT engaging and forcing the brake pads to the rotor (or it WOULD be warm). Of course if the pads were draging , the rotor would be warm to HOT ! Get a friend, spin the front tire, have him apply the brakes and see if the left pads are engaging the disc. Just a few things to check, if it's any of these, they're easy to fix. Really it sounds like a case of elimination  
beerchug.gif

thank guy for the feed back. i will check calipe today and bleed the line. while riding i applied the brake it was engaged good, just left rotors feel cold after riding. it should get warm or hot cause the friction with brake pad. it seem like pad nerver come contac rotors. but thank all input. dav

After checking the pads for condition and wear put it on a stand and spin the front wheel without applying any pressure. Listen for any out of the ordinary sounds....
Next IF all bolts and clips rotate freely without making contact remove front wheel and inspect both calipers. Sounds like you may have to bleed the entire system, worst case might be replacing some lines and rebuilding the calipers or even just a quick tightening of the rotor attachment bolts.

Back